Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 car door ??

Hello. My one car door is incredibly difficult to close. It must be slammed hard to close. there seems to be the rubber seal that is too far out. can in any way backs rubber seal in??. car door fits well with the chassis. Have some good Ider to what I can do?

sincerely, john.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeos View Post
Hello. My one car door is incredibly difficult to close. It must be slammed hard to close. there seems to be the rubber seal that is too far out. can in any way backs rubber seal in??. car door fits well with the chassis. Have some good Ider to what I can do?

sincerely, john.

You can start by adjusting the striker plate outwards (shown in your picture) about a mm at a time until the door latches with minimal effort. You will need a 12point socket driver to loosen the two mounting bolts (I'll have to check my toolbox to confirm the size).

Another adjusment can be made to the window frame itself, to angle it back if necessary - thus giving the door more room to latch before the window frame contacts the top seal. If I recall the frame mounting bolts are accessible through rubber plugs in the leading and tailing edge of the door.

I went through all the same adjustment stuff when my door had to be slammed pretty good to latch, and I eventually ended up replacing the door latch mechanism inside the door. I suspected it as being the problem because the drivers door latch didn't have the same two-click operation as the passenger door (the latch should have two positions...one half-way and one fully closed if you were to manually turn the latch on the side of the door). Turns out a spring had fallen out in the stock door latch, but I didn't know that until I replaced the entire assembly.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I can not backs the striker plate because then the car door getting too far out over the rear fender and it should preferably be aligned. I also tried to adjust the window frame and it did not help. I'm sure there must be something about the rubber strip but what??

Regards john
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

If you haven't already, I would still try adjusting the striker plate just a little bit to reduce some of the tension as the door seal compresses, making it easier for the door to latch. You may find that a small adjustment on the striker won't even show as the door not aligning properly with the rear fender.

And don't forget, the striker also has an up-and-down adjustment as well as in-and-out, if I recall. Make sure it's aligned properly vertically.

Do you know that your door latch is working properly? If you were to intentionally make a large adjustment on the striker to where the door does not contact the seal at all, would the door latch smoothly?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On mine, someone replaced the door seals and left a thick part of the old seal behind the new seal, so it stuck out farther than it should. I took it down to metal before I glued in the new seals.

You might peek behind the door seal and see if you have any extra material there.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: