Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 EFI Candy

Just thought I would share some of my progress since the last header photos. I will be fabricating my intake tube runner and installing the air box shortly.
After that, the motor goes in and the final intercooler fabrication will proceed.

It is getting close.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rich,

Super Kudos guy, absolutely awesome.

Makes my mouth water ....... thought of the cost make my stomach ache.

Very nicely done !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Awesome! Specs?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
awesome! Specs?
+1
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
who sells that oil catch can for the turbo drain?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
is that a innovative turbo?

i had a innovative turbo on my last car, dual ball bearing, had nothing but problems with it, sent it back twice for a rebuild, ended up having to buy a new turbo...

i wish you the best of luck if it is,..i know mine wasnt cheap,..1899$
Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
nice setup def post some info about it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm looking and learning

Looks very nice

So you've gone for a 12-plug RSR-style distributor? (Rather than a crank sensor and coil packs?)

Is the turbocharger a Garrett? (Does it need the extra big oil 'accumulator'.)

What's the Promotive thing at the front of the engine do?

And are the headers custom?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj930 View Post
What's the Promotive thing at the front of the engine do?
Looks like it might be their rising rate fuel pressure regulator. But it looks like brake fluid running through the lines? haha
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Rich,
Nice build! Are you using Protomotive EFI system? That's what mine has. Your setup is very similar to mine which dyno'd at 427 rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
is that a innovative turbo?

i had a innovative turbo on my last car, dual ball bearing, had nothing but problems with it, sent it back twice for a rebuild, ended up having to buy a new turbo...

i wish you the best of luck if it is,..i know mine wasnt cheap,..1899$
Did you use oil restrictor to the oil feed at the turbo? Suggest to use .035 dia. That's what I'm using on my IT ball bearing turbo. I have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei View Post
Looks like it might be their rising rate fuel pressure regulator. But it looks like brake fluid running through the lines? haha
I have the same Protomotive FPR. It's a strange looking thing. Are you sure it's Rising Rate? I hope not since I prefer 1:1 FPR and would like to replace it with Aeromotive FPR if and when this Protomotive FPR fails. It's been in my car since '02 which I owned since May '09.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok. Lets see If I can get all of these questions answered:

Juan Ruiz: That catch can was purchased from as part of a B&B header installation kit that I purchased from Patrick Motor Sports.

jimsteet: Yes it is an Innovative turbo (great eye). It is a ceramic ball bearing unit that I have owned for about 4 years. What type of issues did you have? Was it a ceramic version or standard metal bearing cartridge? I will be using a gravity flow water cooling system to help eliminate heat soak on shut down so, hopefully, the bearing life will not become and issue.

Here are the engine highlights:

1. Protomotive modified 3.2 Carrera ECU with pressure sensing (at the throttle body) and vacuum tube (on the ECU) modification by Todd Knighton. Todd also modified the mapping for my engine build specification.
2. Protomotive rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
3. The distributor is from JB Racing (sold here on Pelican).
4. The headers are modified Zuc-Z (B&B style). I have added a T4 devided flange and two seperate waste gate pipes that feed one Tial V44 waste gate with a 1 bar spring.
5. Pistons are JE 8:1 which have dry film lubrication and thermal barrier coating applied by Xtreme Performance Heat Coating in Camarillo, CA
6. Heads were rebuilt by Ollies and modified for twin plug. I did all of the intake porting to blend and match the Carrera intake. They are 41mm in diameter. Also. Ollies added the C2 head gasket modification on the advise of both Protomotive and Ollies.
7. The case was line bored and boat tailed by Ollies.
8. Cylinder are 98mm (3.3 turbo version). They have been replated by Millennium Technologies and half mooned (wendage cut).
9. Ignition will be two MSD6AL units.
10. Intercooler will be a Porsche 965 which has been modified to direct the cold air charge directly into the Carrera intake manifold with adding an additional tubing.

I am sure there are many thing that I am leaving out, but this is a start.

Thanks to everyone for there support.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Here are some additional photos.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Best money you ever invested

dry film lubrication and thermal barrier coating
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

nice build! count me in
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I love the rubber-bands!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzeritter View Post
I love the rubber-bands!
yep, those work great and only thing better to hold rods are hot swimsuit models
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf View Post
yep, those work great and only thing better to hold rods are hot swimsuit models
u dont happen to have a set of "rod holders" u could send my way. id rather not work with rubber bands ahha

Rich Buckner, how long did it take to get the dry coatings applied once they had your parts in hand?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

It took Xtreme 7 days, start to finish, to do the pistons. I also have the turbo hot housing and Borla XR-1 muffler coated with the thermal barrier. That stuff is magic. It keeps the heat inside and really cools down the back of the car.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf View Post
Damn right! Other things had come to mind about the ideal surface for a man to place his beer when and while working on his Porsche! I will admit, the Image Girls or Paddock Queens or whatever you want to call them have uses beyond looking pretty, when you're dead tired, cold, weat, thirsty, dying of hunger, etc it's there bloody job to bring you food.

But rubberbands are awesome.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: