Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
muffler and cat?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Do I need a cat on here too or does it just bolt to the turbo? Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Looks like it just bolts to the turbo, but there is no cat with it.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Damn, that's a fantastic deal...

do they have more?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I felt like it too, so I bought it before I had a clear answer. Not sure if there are any more.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
How does this muffler perform? I know it's stock, but I like nice clean performance with no issues. I'll be looking for a k27 I guess to strap it to.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You did well!

Enjoy

Walt
Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It will perform ... like stock.
Good deal if your are restoring a car, not so good if looking for performance. If the latter is the case you can probably make a few bucks selling the unused OEM to someone doing a restoration.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Good point......are those restrictive? Like if I got a k27 what is the boost threashfold compared to your muffler? I have the euro j pipe and header.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One way to make those mufflers perform better is to take a 2 1/4 inch holesaw ,place it on a extension and drill out both the end of the muffler inlet and the main baffle, We have done many over the years, sound is just a llittle louder than stock and definitely a noticeable perf. improvement. Let me know if you would like more info.

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't know man, I have a intensive disdain for items sold on ebay.
I guess my feeling is, have some loyalty to the firms with in you're locality.
It's not to sound harsh or mean, it's I often see people go out buy some part on ebay
due to the OMG sticker-shock the price is too good, and they end up disapointed when
things dont meet their expectations.

You are equiping a K27, You have a J-Pipe and Headers beyond this it sounds to me as if you aren't equipping a catalist, assuming you have already made the tuning adjustments for the new parts, and as Brian had mentioned it's ok for a resteration but not going to give the desired performance enhancement.

Last but not least, I never recommend the mix-match tuning parts. It always creates a compromise. A well established firm has spent the research and developement for there system. That's the point, you change the parameters or exceed them and usually a compromise is the result with out adjustments, and then sometimes even these adjustments are not enough when you want more down the road.

^_^ have a good one.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I used an OEM muffler much like that as a baseline for dyno testing my systems. The difference between OEM and my straight through muffler on a 300HP test engine was 12WHP. That doesn't sound like much because it is only one aspect of the improvements. Throttle response improved, boost threshold was lowered several hundred RPM, and hearing the turbo is incredible! The driving experience is much improved. You need to try one out, even if it isn't mine, to experience the greatest benefit: perma-grin.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I like turbo sounds, But my build is on a 76 turbo that I'm only mildly upgrading such as decking the cyls, hopefully using the k27, no real boost increase, coated inerds just for fun, and maybe some other mild upgrades. My build will probably only provide 300ish hp, maybe more. I'm not going to look over that slipery slope, I'm riding the safe path as it were.
I'm building a beautiful engine that is strong and clean, as well as long lasting. It is my hope that it will just be a really nice street driver. I'm not rich, I'm trying to do this as well as I can with a budget. I'm doing it as I afford it, no hurry. If funds look good, I buy more stuff. BTW, anyone have a scavange pump, wastegate and intercooler? Thats all I need now.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
This muffler is nice and brand new. But kinda heavy eh? Dang, didn't think about that.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: