Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Before I call the Tow-Truck...

Greetings all,
After having "Shamu" back for 3 glorious months, I have encountered a 'problem'...

I noticed a few days back the clutch starting to feel different, as if the bottom-half of the travel down to the floor didn't have the same tension...then the clutch started feeling a bit grabby. I started wondering as I parked it, if I had forgotten how to drive the car, and that everything in the morning would be...OK.

Well, next morning, I find I have absolutely NO gears that I can engage with the clutch fully depressed(which returns all the way back to the top after release). All gears sound like your not engaging any clutch whatsoever

I spOKe with the owner of the shop who did the work, and we thought it was the fork in the tranny that might be the weak link...BUT

Two major thing to consider:

1. With the car shut-OFF, could I move the car into 1st gear with a brOKen fork(whereas I could not move it into any gear while the car is running and clutch depressed?). BTW, clutch cable and return spring at rear of car is OK.

2. And here's the kicker...after I engaged the car into first gear while the car was OFF, I then start the car with the clutch engaged, and it launched FORWARD...luckily I hot the brakes quick enough to avoid smacking into the washer/dryer.

So in my limited experience with cars, I believe I have suffered some either clutch/pressure plate failure.

Any thoughts or inputs would be appreciated before I have her towed to the shop...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Greetings all,
After having "Shamu" back for 3 glorious months, I have encountered a 'problem'...

Two major thing to consider:

1. With the car shut-OFF, could I move the car into 1st gear with a brOKen fork(whereas I could not move it into any gear while the car is running and clutch depressed?). BTW, clutch cable and return spring at rear of car is OK.

2. And here's the kicker...after I engaged the car into first gear while the car was OFF, I then start the car with the clutch engaged, and it launched FORWARD...luckily I hot the brakes quick enough to avoid smacking into the washer/dryer.
I think you may need to provide a little more background.. like what was done to the car while it was away for 3months?
- Was the engine out for service
- was the engine separated from the trans
- how old is the clutch

The helper spring could be on backwards, clutch cable could be waaay out of adjustment from lock nuts being not being tightened, or it could very well be an issue with the fork.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
I think you may need to provide a little more background.. like what was done to the car while it was away for 3months?
- Was the engine out for service
- was the engine separated from the trans
- how old is the clutch

The helper spring could be on backwards, clutch cable could be waaay out of adjustment from lock nuts being not being tightened, or it could very well be an issue with the fork.
NO...I have been DRIVING the car for the past three months since getting it back in perfect shape in June....
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like your car has a clutch or clutch linkage issue.

This may be something to keep in mind too.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice Technical Bulletin....are those listed on a web site to research? Link please if available!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: