Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mufflers...can we compare noise levels?

I must be getting old...my 88 930 is just too loud...

It has somekind of home brew double cannister exhaust, which I assume is straight through...

Its loud at idle...louder at mid throttle... and super loud wide open. It keeps me from enjoying the car, because I have to yell to any passengers when cruising. And if there is a police car in the vicinity, I have to shift to 4th to have a passable chance of avoiding a meet and greet...

Over the winter, I have to change to something else...

So whats the scoop on the mufflers out there?

I heard Borlas are quite loud. I believe RarelyL8 has some sport mufflers. Ansa... Home brew?

Is there a difference in the noise levels? It seems that most turbo mufflers run straight through...so are they all about the same volume???

Which muffler is louder than stock, but not offensive to the neighbors?

Can folks rank the mufflers out there in terms of noise? I don't want to give up too much performance...but I would like to hear my passengers too... I wouldn't mind hearing the turbo spool up also...

Does removing the aftermarket intake (simple round air filter) and going back to the airbox make a big difference? I plan on doing that this week...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you show a picture of what you have now it might help people make a guess.

Anotherwords if you have a straight through glass pack muffler on there now and the fiberglass packing was not reinforced long strand unidirectional fiberglass or stainless steel it may have blown out by now and that will make it alot louder than it was.

Muffler loudness is a subjective topic and will be loaded with opinions... so a picture of whats on there now will help people make a suggestion.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Most of the noise you hear from inside is probably from your air filter. I am running no muffler at all and I can't hear anything from inside. Outside it sounds like an inboard engine on a motor boat. The only muffler is on my wastegate. The turbo is fairly quiet as the Turbine tends to muffle fairly well.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I will try to post a pic, but it won't be until the weekend...

The car also doesn't have the rubbermat on the firewall, its simply been painted. I am sure this adds to the noise, but I can't believe that it would be much - or is it?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I personally like when a family in their Caravan roll up their window/rolling their eyes when I am driving 10-20mph. & I'm in the right lane......Minding my own bizzzznnesss.....

I let them get 30-40yrds on me...and LET THEM HAVE IT!!!! Screaming past them 5000-6000rpm... BLOW THEIR WINDOWS OUT---MY MUSIC

I Then rrrrrrrrooooooollllllllllllllllllllll my eyes.

Its good when it needs to be loud and quiet when not....no drone....Thats the perfect exhaust..INMOP.
Ooops--No-cat-I got my B&B dual exhaust 3"inch in 1994. Luv it!
Walt

Last edited by wjfk32; 09-22-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There must not be any packing in your muffler for it to be as loud as described. Maybe chambered or baffled.
I also have no sound deadening in my car and the street version of my mufflers is very wife/GF compatible. You can easily talk in a normal voice to a passenger or on the phone with the doors open sitting at idle. When installed on a stock 930 I was surprised how quiet it was. Too quiet with the windows up.
WOT is is different story. Mine is fairly loud on boost which I believe is a good thing.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
i had a zork tube on my car for 2 years. it was cool for about a day before i started hearing all of my neighbors complain and driving it downtown in the city was not kosher either. the guys @ zuffenhaus and underground racing built the current system for me using a small burns ss silencer. it is built so elegantly made and the look and fit is purrrfect.

the sound is like velvet at idle (my neighbors like that) and like a 935 k3 @ wot. it sounds better than my 12 cyl ferrari...i am dead serious!!

maybe keith can explain what they did to mine to make is so nice?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferraripete View Post
i had a zork tube on my car for 2 years. it was cool for about a day before i started hearing all of my neighbors complain and driving it downtown in the city was not kosher either. the guys @ zuffenhaus and underground racing built the current system for me using a small burns ss silencer. it is built so elegantly made and the look and fit is purrrfect.

the sound is like velvet at idle (my neighbors like that) and like a 935 k3 @ wot. it sounds better than my 12 cyl ferrari...i am dead serious!!

maybe keith can explain what they did to mine to make is so nice?
pics please...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

mine is a single in dual out from ghl but there are no internals in it just an empty box that looks like a muffler. When I go through parking lots it sets off car alarms . Two days after I got plates on the car i get followed by a local cop for several blocks then he pulls along side and motions for me to roll my window down. I am at that point expecting to be pulled over for my fist noise violation. He then proceeds to tell me how awesome my car sounds and asks what year etc. Covered parking garage in Aventura same thing I rumble by several parked police cars setting off every car alarm in the place and I see one of them pointing and all of them smiling and laughing. Then after I park they tell me how good it sounds.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Depends on what your neighbors think is loud?

When I bought my car it had the 4 tip Borla on it, louder than stock but not loud enough for me. My neighbors liked it though!

I put a Zork on it 2 years ago and found the nirvana of exhaust notes IMO.
It will rattle the windows starting it in the garage, backing out and driving through the neighborhood will rattle the windows in all the houses it drives by.

But driving down the road/hwy since the exhaust exists directly aft of the car, it is eerily quite when driving. But all you have to do is clutch-it and the sound completely goes away!

My neighbors have come to accept me and my car by now.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the input...

I think this may be an aging thing . Being in my 40's now, loud noises aren't as fabulous as they were in my twenties... . I am actually starting to get tinnitus now - not fun...

I don't mind loud noises at full throttle...but cruising down the road with the windows open, it would be nice to hear the radio clearly. I find that I need to turn the radio way up to hear it over the exhaust...and with both booming after 10 minutes I get a headache...

Ferraripete, I have one of those Italian cars too...cats off, stock exhaust...its loud enough, but comfortable to cruise in...

Are most aftermarket exhausts about the same volume? I had heard that Borlas are the loudest. Which of the aftermarket exhausts is on the "quieter" side?

Any thoughts appreciated...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Some guy on the Board just got a Dansk-stock muffler for $200 and change on e-bay.
I would just stay stock in your case, and call it the day.

Walt
Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Mine come with a no-questions-asked guarantee. Try it out and if it is too loud or you don't like it for any reason send it back for a refund. A lot more fun than stock and not a lot louder at idle or cruise.
I have tinnitus as well, Harley's make me jump out of my skin. Not fun.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
beancounter

Here's a youtube clip where you can hear my RarlyL8 set up. I recommend listening with headphones as it will give you the most accurate and realistic sound reproduction. Most computer speakers absolutely suck.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The B&B single out stainless steel muffler is relatively quiet. I think one of those would work for you.

I have no affiliation with ex indycar driver Billy Boat or his company B&B but the muffler is good quality and the headers work good too.

One came on my car when I bought it along with B&B headers and with it removed and the tail pipe removed I took a piece of pipe and with a big ballpeen hammer I bent the V shaped perforated baffles that were just inboardof the in and out pipes out of the way of the exhaust flow.
I was able to break some off and others just bent over.

Years ago we sometimes used to use the pipe and hammer technique to blast the honeycomb ceramic core out of catalytic converters to gut them for better flow, for people that wanted that.

The B&B single out muffler also has about a 1" thickness of fiberglass or something like it all the way around the inner circumfrence with thick perforated steel to hold it in place so even with the baffles out of the exhaust flow it doesn't resonate like a big empty can would.

The top and bottom halfs of the muffler are still seperated into chambers by a long piece of flat steel and at the far end (right side of car) there is a 3" piece of pipe about 6" long the exhaust has to flow through to get from the top chamber to the bottom chamber. You would have to cut the muffler open to get rid of the piece of pipe and I havn't done that, but would like to try it for better flow and more horsepower.

Anyway, with the 4 or 6 little perforated V shaped baffles bent over and out of the way the muffler is still pretty quiet but now I can hear a faint turbo spool out the exhaust and I really like hearing that.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Here's a youtube clip where you can hear my RarlyL8 set up. I recommend listening with headphones as it will give you the most accurate and realistic sound reproduction. Most computer speakers absolutely suck.
I would say slightly over stock

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

anyone have a picture of the inside of a B&B muffler ?
if so could you post it ?
single out
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Jake, sounds great. I love the raspyness

I'm running a magnaflow single in/dual out. It's quiet but sounds good. Now the wastegate is a whole nuther story..
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Funny you note Jake's raspiness (er uh - his cars? heh heh), we traded cars for a bit last summer going to NC and we were both rather surprised how DIFFERENT both our RL8 systems sounded. His is a single out on driver's side, mine dual out (not Brian's "hooligan").

We chalked up the difference to Jake running GHL headers (IIRC), vs my (sniff) stockers (d'oh).

They sound entirely different - both great, just different.

Neither are "too loud tho".

Here's a vid of mine my bud made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09AkVUFtDP8

GETTING tinnitus in your 40's??? Shoot, I've had it bad since early 20's, and yes it sucks. Ah well. LOL Brian about the Harley comment - I f'n absolutely f'n HATE UNMUFFLED HARLEY'S. End rant 8-).

W/ Brian's $ back guarantee, you don't have much to lose...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
mine is a single in dual out from ghl but there are no internals in it just an empty box that looks like a muffler. When I go through parking lots it sets off car alarms . Two days after I got plates on the car i get followed by a local cop for several blocks then he pulls along side and motions for me to roll my window down. I am at that point expecting to be pulled over for my fist noise violation. He then proceeds to tell me how awesome my car sounds and asks what year etc. Covered parking garage in Aventura same thing I rumble by several parked police cars setting off every car alarm in the place and I see one of them pointing and all of them smiling and laughing. Then after I park they tell me how good it sounds.
Smiling and laughing cops when their alarms are going off? They must have just returned with stomachs full of coffee and donuts and were just too satiated to take issue with you. This is the perfect world that we should all live in.

I run with a Fabspeed muffler, exiting right side, so it's pass through. Not too loud, unless I have my foot into it, and I am not running with the small turbo muffler. Just perfect for occasions where you do or don't want to attract attention. My wife says it sounds like my Harley when she hears me coming home down the street (I don't know if that's good or bad). Not at all uncomfortable inside the car...all that sound stays well behind me.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: