Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
steel

It's steel and a little oil in the exhaust pipe,guess its the turbo,now what,rebuild it any ideas who or replace it with something else??or could something out of the motor or header etc get pushed through the turbo,car runs fine!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

My guess is your turbo needs to be rebuilt. When you remove the cat or muffler, or wheatver is bolted onto it you may see damage to the turbine wheel and housing around it.

There is only one place I would send it: http://www.durabilt-turbo.com/

PM me for the absolute worst place and worst experience possible near the west coast to send it.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Would you just replace it with the same or is there something better?I'm sure I'll get all answers
Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If the origonal KKK 3ldz is on there just about anything is better.

The most popular and easiest replacement and upgrade for street driving is the 3K Borg Warner K27 7200.

There are others to choose from too. It depends on how much you want to spend.

In the lower cost arena you can find good used K27 or Garet turbos from time to time.
No one can recommend one or anaother unless they know what you want the car to do compared to what you have/had.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
what is it

Just read the tag on it says3ldz 319g11.1 middle #86 844 1487 bottom #??? 970 3100AS for how I use it,Just street fun ripin now and then,no track yet??
Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

That sounds like the oem turbo. The "86" refers to the year it was made which would be consistant with your car and is probably the original turbo.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
what is it

is it a kkk 27 or what can't read all the # on the bottom,does it have ball bearings?

Last edited by 5050racing; 09-25-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

It is a 3ldz which is the oem turbo for an'86.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
replace

So I should put the same back on it ?? send it out to rebuild like the one guy said?Just ripin on the street for now and the last 24 years but who knows,all stock.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050racing View Post
So I should put the same back on it ?? send it out to rebuild like the one guy said?Just ripin on the street for now and the last 24 years but who knows,all stock.
Are you quite happy with keeping the stock setup? If yes, by all means use the same model turbocharger. There are some very good used parts places out there, Parts Heaven for instance, that will sell you a 3LDZ cheap and will probably last another 10 years, if cared for properly.
If, on the other hand, there's increased horsepower in your future, then it's time to upgrade the turbo to a K-27 7200 or equivalent. It's pretty much a bolt-on upgrade, except for the charge pipe between the turbo and intercooler. The nipple on the 3LDZ is different than the 7200. I believe Rarly8 sells these adapters for the conversion as well.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Nice info

When you say if properly cared for,what do you mean,oil changes and cool down times before shutting off,or other things?by going to the k27 what else motor wise would need to be changed to work properly or the fuel system would be fine,how about exhaust,it's stock now what would you put on there?It's a us model 911 turbo 86
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
When you say if properly cared for,what do you mean,oil changes and cool down times before shutting off,or other things?by going to the k27 what else motor wise would need to be changed to work properly or the fuel system would be fine,how about exhaust,it's stock now what would you put on there?It's a us model 911 turbo 86
Proper oil, oil changes and cool downs.

If you wanted more power, I would start in the following order if going the K-27 route;

1.) low restriction muffler - reduces back pressure from the turbo's turbine. You might even see a gain of a few HP with the 3DLZ turbo by doing this.

2.) more efficient Intercooler - if you're going to be running more boost pressures, the IC will give you cooler intake temps, also extra insurance of reducing detonation probability.

3.) Cams - SC or 964 cams give more lift, breathability to take advantage of K-27's higher capacity.

4.) Headers - The '86 heat exchangers are pretty good, but going with headers will lower the boost threshold (boost onset) by a few hundred RPM due to their shorter runner lengths.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks

Want to keep motor stock the car is almost mint but the turbo is just bolt on so I'am thinking something with less lag and little power increase. What muffler ??THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!What info!!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

You can do this in stages as your funds allow. When I first went down that road with my then stock 930, the first modification was to replace the exhaust (muffler) with aftermarket. Even with the stock 3LDZ turbo, there was a noticeable improvement in performance. Next came modifications to the air intake to shorten the path and reduce restriction, then a larger intercooler, a K27 turbo, and Tial WG @ 1.0 bar. All combined, that transformed the car quite nicely. Then I started messing around with adjustable WUR's to optimimze fueling, and ignition advance controls. If I were to complete the long-term plan, I would install an aftermarket header and crack open the engine to install the SC cams I have sitting on the shelf. After all that, I'm done with engine performance enhancements.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
If you want the simple answer, purchase a K27 7200 turbo and a Rarlyl8 left-exit muffler. This combo will result in a simple and reletively-inexspensive bolt-on that will give you a lot of bang for your buck, won't require a bunch of extra stuff and could be easily reversed.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone

I will think about what to do for now I'm going to take it apart and confirm that it's the turbo and probably stay stock turbo and upgrade exhaust.What can be done with the cat?? can you remove it without changing anything?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I will think about what to do for now I'm going to take it apart and confirm that it's the turbo and probably stay stock turbo and upgrade exhaust.What can be done with the cat?? can you remove it without changing anything?
An aftermarket muffler usually connects directly to the turbo, deleting the cat.
If you stay with the stock muffler, you will need a cat bypass pipe installed in place of the cat.
Actually, that was my very first modification now that I think of it. My car came with a cat bypass pipe in a box (hmmm....I wonder if the previous owner was running something other than stock...). Just getting rid of the cat made a large difference.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
cat

No changes to the motor needed,the o2 sen is before the cat correct?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
No changes to the motor needed,the o2 sen is before the cat correct?
Correct, no changes...unless you want to run open-loop without the O2 sensor (which many of us do). As long as you're not held to yearly emissions testing, that is.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks again

Thanks for the info,anybody have a after market muffler for sale!!Next year 25 years old thats the car and historic plates no inspection,haven't been there anyway in 10 years to have some joker hit the wiper wash button and tell me lights don't say dot!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: