Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yikes! 2 bar on CIS???

Porsche : 930: eBay Motors (item 250702620024 end time Oct-03-10 09:55:19 PDT)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

6,700 ft ASL. That makes a difference - although I wouldn't have thought it was quite that much...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
600HP @ 2bar on CIS?
Nice looking car.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
600hp @ 2 bar, maybe that was right before the rebuild
Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, wise azz post. Would love to see the details of the build
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Let's hope the poor guy's engine-building skills are good, because he could be sentenced to death for his spelling.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e170drvr View Post
600hp @ 2 bar, maybe that was right before the rebuild
I agree with you, I would be very suspect about this car personally.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I noticed you guys really are harsh and critical of cars that come up for sale.
I understand nobody wants to be scammed or screwed, but sometimes I get
this sense from forum guys of ( Because I did not do it, or because in my little world ) it's not possible or has not been done that it's not possible or must be some sort of scam.

Not be like a jerk, but I constantly remind people, just because individual A. Can do something, infact does not mean you and he or I are created equally. Thus just because he did something does not mean you can do that of individual B or C. Infact more often then not I see more people attempting things they can't do ( burning themselfs ) and then doing things they can do. Then they come on and complain. ( I know, I know, I sound hella mean, I am the devil and sound like a jerk. )

But I mean whats hard to believe about 2bars and 600hp? I am not saying it's the hoilygrail of 911 masterpeices. But at the same time guy's I see just as many complain and make justifications on a cars value as I do see people attempting to sell things waaay over-priced.
Besides in a lot of other countrys such as in Japan and Germany there are a lot of 930's and 964's lurking around, hell 911's period lurking around that are really not into the whole forum techhy talky thing.

Last but not least, nobody and I mean let's be real, nobody exactly gives up the inner exact details of there engine build or tuning settings. And one man's build may not work for another man, and so on I think my point is pretty clear.

It's a nice looking car, I like Silver, perhaps the wheels aren't my cup of tea.
I think it's a great car for somone else, but not me. I think it's good for a guy who
can aford to make the adjustments with regularity and who want's a Tuned or Tuning firms
solutions for a 930. ^_^

My bad if I sound jerk-ish or mean, that's not my intention.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzeritter View Post
I noticed you guys really are harsh and critical of cars that come up for sale.
I understand nobody wants to be scammed or screwed, but sometimes I get
this sense from forum guys of ( Because I did not do it, or because in my little world ) it's not possible or has not been done that it's not possible or must be some sort of scam.

Not be like a jerk, but I constantly remind people, just because individual A. Can do something, infact does not mean you and he or I are created equally. Thus just because he did something does not mean you can do that of individual B or C. Infact more often then not I see more people attempting things they can't do ( burning themselfs ) and then doing things they can do. Then they come on and complain. ( I know, I know, I sound hella mean, I am the devil and sound like a jerk. )

But I mean whats hard to believe about 2bars and 600hp? I am not saying it's the hoilygrail of 911 masterpeices. But at the same time guy's I see just as many complain and make justifications on a cars value as I do see people attempting to sell things waaay over-priced.
Besides in a lot of other countrys such as in Japan and Germany there are a lot of 930's and 964's lurking around, hell 911's period lurking around that are really not into the whole forum techhy talky thing.

Last but not least, nobody and I mean let's be real, nobody exactly gives up the inner exact details of there engine build or tuning settings. And one man's build may not work for another man, and so on I think my point is pretty clear.

It's a nice looking car, I like Silver, perhaps the wheels aren't my cup of tea.
I think it's a great car for somone else, but not me. I think it's good for a guy who
can aford to make the adjustments with regularity and who want's a Tuned or Tuning firms
solutions for a 930. ^_^

My bad if I sound jerk-ish or mean, that's not my intention.
I think the thing is, that just because you can do something short-term to get HP or Torque, doesn't mean you should go down that road. For every extra HP you gain in some mod, you will lose some degree of reliability/wear and tear. How MUCH reliability you willing to sacrifice as a function of HP is anyones guess. When I was doing an internship between Andial and Jim Busby Racing in 1989-1991, a very high HP engine might go 2-3 races before a very expensive rebuild.

When I found my 911, it was a 1.5 year search to find an absolutely stock car in great condition, and go from there. When someone has already a "project" car, that's now for sale, it would be wise to tread very carefully before getting out that checkbook.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes there are cases of "it can't be done because I haven't done it itis" here. I don't think this is one of them.
It would be less than diligent to not raise an eyebrow to a claim of 2bar and 600HP on CIS, especially if interested in buying the car. No-one said it wasn't possible, but rather a huge red flag when considering what is typical for the 930.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Those numbers are possible if he ran it at that boost level. Some people are not as conservative when it comes to pushing the envelope, lucky, at best. It is interesting to see just how much an engine can withstand when you could care less. Do some of you guys remember that rental Neon article (Say 'Bye to Neon) where they kept putting the Nitrous to it and then ran it down the drag strip but the dam car kept holding up, running staggering times? Here's the link.

Say 'Bye to Neon

They were up to 150 shots, doubling the stock horsepower and running 13's down the quarter!

Now if someone did this same thing to a Porsche 930......probably 600 plus horsepower and 10's down the quarter.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I ALWAYS TRUST EVERYONE WHO WRITES IN CAPITALS AT ALL TIMES, don't you?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

His boost gauge is calibrated to start reading at "1" (vs "0")..all makes sense
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Yes there are cases of "it can't be done because I haven't done it itis" here. I don't think this is one of them.
It would be less than diligent to not raise an eyebrow to a claim of 2bar and 600HP on CIS, especially if interested in buying the car. No-one said it wasn't possible, but rather a huge red flag when considering what is typical for the 930.
+1
This is not like a pissing competition that someone lost- its just that people who know the system understand what it is physically capable of and know that 600hp is not within CIS's capability. Yea, none of us have gotten 600hp out of CIS- But you know why? IT CANT BE DONE...without a wet nitrous oxide setup .

Now that that is out of the way... The 380HP 930 in the listing is a very beautiful car. And it really looks like the guy who owned it really did "spare no expense." The Kokeln/B&B/K27/Etc... is a great setup and is in a clean car.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

Whoa someone raided the Pimp My Ride parts catalog.
2 bar.....1 bar....changing boost around on CIS to this extent is just stupid.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Overly enthusiastic sales pitch or disceptive advertising? Who knows... certainly for the educated it's a red flag. Otherwise, it reads like the kind of build many an enthusiast has done on a 930. Whether the work was done correctly and whether the owner drove and maintained the car reasonably & respectfully should be investigated by interested parties.
A clean bill of health from PPI would be nice.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

At 2 bar we could play "count the broken rings"
Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
At 2 bar we could play "count the broken rings"
Thats just one of those reuilds where the rings "rain" from the motor when you slide the cyls off.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Me like track days

Btdt
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
R.I.P.

given the information available I don't see how anyone could jump to any conclusion about the power this engine produced..

It does not say 600rwhp (could be engine dyno figures)
it does not say if any additional fuelers were present (ie additional injector, 928 fuel head)
it does say for street use the engine was tuned to 450hp (reasonable)

The car looks great and so far the price looks even better considering there is NO reserve

Old 09-29-2010, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: