Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Axle bolt hardware question and lube

I have a 84 930. Im almost at the point of putting the axles in. But Im missing the hardware. I did buy the gaskets from Pelican. I cant tell if the bolts on a 84 require any sort of washer ( round or the 3 parts per joint types ). Does anyone know if I need to order washers?

It also looks like Swepco 101 lube is the axle grease that can be used. However I sell AMSOIL and I have access to many types of grease. Is the swepco a NGLI 1 or 2 or something else? Here is what I can pick from, any recommendations? Im thinking one of these three is probably right.
AMSOIL - Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease (GRG) - racing ngli 2
AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #1 - colder climate ngli 1
AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #2 - ngli 2

Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think the correct length CV bolts and type of washers for your '84 are in the parts section here.

The grease for CV joints is always high in molybdenum disulfide content. The moly bonds to ferrous metals and really helps in high pressure lubrication like a CV joint needs.
That said I'm not sure if your talking about grease for the CV joints or the wheel bearings.

Swepco grease and motor oil is overrated on the internet hearsay forums and in most mechanics opinion Amsoil is one of the best synthetic racing oils you can buy but I don't know anything about the different types of grease they make for CV joint application.

Wheel bearings will be fine with any good quality general purpose high temperature, high pressure grease.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I want to say the bolts are 62mm long and they use a storr (sp?) washer. I use a marker to mark each bolt in relation to the flange to see if has moved over time. Beats having to re-torque every so often.

Also, use a 12 point socket cap bolt, as they are harder to strip out.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think you mean schnorr washer
M8 Schnorr Washer for CV Joint

edit: These are not the right size on this webpage I just googled to get a picture, yours are M10 or bigger.

..and the CV joint bolts are 6 point 10x1.5mm allen head bolts unless someone changed them out to something else.

In '86 Porsche went to a slimmer Lobro CV joint and it's not as strong as the thicker CV joints earlier cars came with and they also went to a strap washer that went under 2 bolts at a time.

The bolts on the earlier thicker CV joints are longer.

Last edited by JFairman; 09-27-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

those locking washers are available online from mcmaster carr
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The swepco I mentioned is for the CV joints. But I can get NGLI1 or NGLI2 and Im not sure which to use in the cv joints. The axle bolts I know which ones to get, its the washers I cant figure out. The washers is what I need to figure out and if someone knows which rating of grease, maybe both are ok. From aschens post ( also a 84 ) sounds like I need the washers.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
NO washers etc. on turbos:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

When I redid my cv boot I found a thread that reccomended the schnoor washers even if not factory equipped with locking devices.

I am no expert on the matter but I actually herd a clunk from the rear of my car the otherday and need to check to make sure the bolts are still tight.

Apparently it is problematic to keep them tight and some people even result to saftey wire? Im not sure just passing second hand info.

Also it was such a difficult mess to rebuld the axles. Can you just drop them off at a shop and have them rebuild them? I would think it wouldent be to expensive at a transmision shop to have them rebooted and rebanded.

If you look on pelican sight it seems the axels changed in 84. The 84 axels are 400ish dollars and the others are 200$. At 200$ I would have bought new axels but 400 is too rich for my blood. It seems ridiculous to buy a whole new axel for a torn boot, But I really hated messing with that grease and trying to band the boots.

AES
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ive had the axle bolts come loose on my 951, and I want to make sure I get it right. Sounds like no washers on the 84 turbo. I guess after I run the car a bit I can recheck the torque on the bolts. Which reminds me.....anyone know the torque spec on the bolts? I really have to find the manual I bought. Its burried in a box from my move somewhere.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Are the older thicker CV joints/axles interchangeable for the new ones?

Yes, you're correct on the spelling and size. It's been awhile since I looked at them. My original bolts were swapped out for the 12 point bolts. I wouldn't go back to the 6 point bolts after using them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I think you mean schnorr washer
M8 Schnorr Washer for CV Joint

edit: These are not the right size on this webpage I just googled to get a picture, yours are M10 or bigger.

..and the CV joint bolts are 6 point 10x1.5mm allen head bolts unless someone changed them out to something else.

In '86 Porsche went to a slimmer Lobro CV joint and it's not as strong as the thicker CV joints earlier cars came with and they also went to a strap washer that went under 2 bolts at a time.

The bolts on the earlier thicker CV joints are longer.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All I could find was 60 ft lbs for the M10 bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Ive had the axle bolts come loose on my 951, and I want to make sure I get it right. Sounds like no washers on the 84 turbo. I guess after I run the car a bit I can recheck the torque on the bolts. Which reminds me.....anyone know the torque spec on the bolts? I really have to find the manual I bought. Its burried in a box from my move somewhere.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

so m10 x 60mm for an 84 then? I'll try to find some 12 point rasteners online to order. Whats the concensus on the schnoor washers. I did quite a bit of searching a year or two ago and reached the decision that i should use them, but im not sure now...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I always use the strap washers and blue loctite. i have a bunch of the schor washers but loctite keeps every thing tight.

88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: