Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Wastegate Repair Manual or Specs?

Especially interested in specs for lateral play in the valve. Do these things have replaceable valve guides?

TIA

rasta

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if I remember correctly it's the same as in the heads. But actually the stock waste gate is a piece of crap. You would be better off with a tial or a tial knock off. It's usually the fist thing that gets tossed on these cars.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
There's a bolt-on Tial?

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
There's a bolt-on Tial?
Yep, F46 is the model most used for 930's. Great product.

A few years back someone posted the results of rebuilding a stock WG. Ended up having a machine shop fabricate a new valve guide out of some appropriate material. That's an option, but after all the materials and shop labor you may be better off with a new Tial.

UPDATE: Did a little searching and came up with the following, through EBS Racing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you want to stay with the factory WG Call Don at Engine builders supply. He can get you what you need as far as parts go, (I just did one about 340$ in parts) its not cheap but I replaced the valve, guide, seat and diaphragm. At some time in the past the valve snapped off at the head, and the owner drove it for a while like that. You should be able to get away with just replacing the diapragm, if everything else looks good. There's not much to them".
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 09-28-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rasta,

These are the same wastegates the won Le Mans 7-8 times in everything from the 1974 RSR Turbo to the 962. Probably work just fine for ya putting around on the street.

Your in Portland give Steve a call at Rennsport Systems he should be able to help you out with information. 503-244-0990

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Rasta,

These are the same wastegates the won Le Mans 7-8 times in everything from the 1974 RSR Turbo to the 962. Probably work just fine for ya putting around on the street.

Your in Portland give Steve a call at Rennsport Systems he should be able to help you out with information. 503-244-0990

Cole
well said!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

lol. . . ex act lee !!!

but,, if ya really truely neeeed a new one.. the Tial is great.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nothing wrong at all with a Tial. Absolutely the best choice if you need to replace your wastegate.
The key word being NEED. Tial is also the most expensive and, of course, if it's the most expensive it has to be better doesn't it, and then we can also say "I have a Tial" the bragging rights alone have to justify at least half the cost.

A wastegate isn't exactly a marvel of mechanical technology, it's a one way n/c air valve, boost actuated, and controlled by a spring and diaphragm. Not exactly rocket science.

The old junk stock wastegate that we so readily kick to the curb because it's inferior to the Tial has operated flawlessly in the "Old Sled" for 30 years now, and is still working fine. A replacement from Porsche would run ya $1,600.00, if you can find one.

God !!!! You mean a Tial is actually just a cheap replacement.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-29-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Nah nah nah nah nah nah.....I have a Tial (brag brag). Yeah Cole, it's a chep fix. My stock WG...well, a few years ago I felt it was acting irradically, pulled it off and did all the requisite testing. Too much air leaking past the guide, so I said to myself "self, let's go with the cheap route". I just bought some piece of mind is all. And with the weight loss by ditching that heavy-ass boat anchor, I gained 1.0 second off my quarter mile time.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Gimp,

I figured you'd raise your ugly head on this one. I have actually picked up 3-4 used wastegates over the years and use them for parts. I was able to put together 2 good ones. I'll put one on the car and I have a spare. I'm actually considering running dual wastegates.

I seriously considered a Tial then reason kicked in and I convinced myself if it's not broke don't replace it. So I bought a Water/ Meth System instead.

I'm in the process of finishing the engine, it's all back together except for cam timing. Mr. Picky is trying to get both perfectly dead nuts, decided it's impossible. Installed the Wevo motor mounts and did the mod on the trans mount for the Wevo mounts there.

Put the finishing touches on "The Office" last weekend. (Pic below)

Be well my friend !!!!!!

Cole
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

<--- is trying to get 2 930 stock WG's for his 3.8tt motor As the 935s ran them and work soooo good, have dual tial 46mm's and will UPGRADE back to stock as yes, they can handle 1,000 hp
Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gabe,

Nice to hear from you, hope your doing well !!!!

Go on the classifieds and do a WTB. They run from between $50 and $100 usually. They are an easy rebuild. Couple of things you need to know. The seat for the valve is a seperate piece and often is not with a used unit and you can no longer get them or the valves so make sure it has the seat and valve with it.

Lindsey Racing still has diaphrams. When rebuilding, a sloppy valve guide is not a
deal breaker if it's not real loose. Remember the guide is not for sealing anyway, the valve to seat is. You can have an insert made and pressed in if you really need to replace the guide. The real key to sealing is the valve to the seat. You can grind the valve and seat if they need it. Usually you can get by just laping the valve to the seat just like you would with heads.

Good Luck !!!!
Cole

Last edited by cole930; 09-29-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nice looking office Cole!

I've done gone both ways with the waste gates. Refurbishing a stock unit to new standards ends up costing nearly the amount of a new TiAL. The housing needs to be thoroughly cleaned and coated or it will just rust up again. TiALs are light weight work of art and perform perfectly; they are also brand new. I sell them but am not biased as I'm not into wasting money on bling unless it performs better than stock. TiAL took another price increase recently so something to consider; retail on the 930 valve cover relief machined 46mm unit is now $560+ depending on where you purchase them.
If Gabe is selling his 46mm TiALs you might want to snag one.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Dang Cole, the "old sled" aint looking too shabby! Keep us posted on your mods; interested to know how a 930 on Methamphetamine does (could be scarey).
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Bri,

Thanks for the kind words. I flew to Florida last Fri. to buy a new Daily Driver and Fri. very late, Sat. very early, I almost swung off 75 so I could drop by and see you but I had already been up for about 20 hours and still had 500 miles to
go. Had to roll my hair up in the drivers window so it would wake me up if I dozed off. I will be knocking on the door one of these days.

I do like the Tial's, very sweet units. Both of the boat anchors I have are still in good shape so I just couldn't justify it.

Gimp,

Thanks Bud, I'm kind of excited about becoming a meth head. Did a lot of reading and think it's a real plus for controlling detonation. I've been looking at it as cheap insurance. I don't over rev or screw with the boost much but that extra edge is really simple to do and it makes me feel better. I might do some pics. and post a Meth Head Meth Thread.

Cole
Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Bri,

Thanks for the kind words. I flew to Florida last Fri. to buy a new Daily Driver and Fri. very late, Sat. very early, I almost swung off 75 so I could drop by and see you but I had already been up for about 20 hours and still had 500 miles to
go. Had to roll my hair up in the drivers window so it would wake me up if I dozed off. I will be knocking on the door one of these days.

I do like the Tial's, very sweet units. Both of the boat anchors I have are still in good shape so I just couldn't justify it.

Gimp,

Thanks Bud, I'm kind of excited about becoming a meth head. Did a lot of reading and think it's a real plus for controlling detonation. I've been looking at it as cheap insurance. I don't over rev or screw with the boost much but that extra edge is really simple to do and it makes me feel better. I might do some pics. and post a Meth Head Meth Thread.

Cole
Definitely interested in reading this new thread on the meth injection when you post it. Nice looking office.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mr. Fred,

Hey Man nice to see you back here. hope all is well at the new digs.

I started a thread a few weeks back on water/ meth some pretty good input there. There is also an older thread called methanol injection posted by Fishey
from 2002 where Chris Toy posted a lot of good stuff.

If your interested send me your Email and I'll get you some good information I found on the net.

Thanks for the compliment on the office !!!! Great to hear from you and ,as always, the best to you.

Cole

Old 10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: