Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

turbo bolt: how do I get to it?

I know almost all of you guys are way better mechanics than me. I cannot figure out how to get any sort of tool on this bolt. It is the lower forward facing turbo bolt.

I don't have a stubby set but I am not sure that would help. Maybe an extra short stubby from the top? I have no idea how ill be able to get enough torque from such a confined space on this guy.

Any tricks to this bolt?

Thanks,
Aaron

Edit sorry for the giant picture

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I use a socket, with a 3/8ths breaker bar attached it barely fits in there and can only turn it a little bit each time.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

thanks ill try that I would never suspect that a breaker would fit in there but Ill give it a shot.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This would be the correct tool:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
This would be the correct tool:

yeah true i dont have any of those though
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Harbor Freight has them real cheap.

And at their low price you don't mind grinding the outer circumfrence of the the box end down for more clearance from the exhaust pipe if you have to.

cool... i just noticed you posted at 911 am, Ken.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
That bolt is always fun! I've found that a couple of long 3/8" extensions hooked together with a swivel just before the socket coming over the top of the muffler is easiest.. The ratchet is darn near in the passenger fender.

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I use a crow's foot "wrench" with a 3/8 socket - works great!

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I think my setup must be a bit differnt because I couldent make a crows foot work (at least an open ended one). My problem is I have an air injection line and the tail pipes in the way from the side. I just got back from sears and they had neither the half moon wrenches or even stubby not ratcheting wrenches in the showroom . They did have a sale of sweaters or something though :unamused:. Anyways I gots some toys to try and ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Dear front bottom bolt,
I hate you.
Signed,
aschen

Ok I am convinced that there is no way to get to that bolt without cutting, grinding or removing something. I am sure you guys are right but I cant see how a breaker bar or crows foot could possibly get in there. I hav spent hours with all of these tools from all angles and nothing is even close.

Do you guys have the non catted muffler and the air injection line like me? my last chance is to try to track down one of those half moon box wrenches. :unamused:.

Is it time consuming to remove the turbo drip tank? It would be easy to get to it from the bottom.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

ok No air injection that was the first thing thrown in the trash.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I use a variety of tools: sockets with and without extensions, universals, wrenches long and short, etc. It's a matter of having the right tools.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I hear ya I have a decent collection of metric tools and one of the few things I actually like spending money on is tools. I am usually a bit slow in figuring out the right combo of tools required to remove elusive fasteners, but I almost always make something work.

This time I am a bit stumpede though. I think I just need to get some of those 1/2 moon wrenches and maybe start grinding away at some tools. Unfortunately I dont have a bench grinder either.

Aschen really needs a bigger garage for more tools. When an elise takes up most of a bay, you know its a small garage . The 930 is practically a squeez!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I found that if you have a couple different brands of box wrenches the right size, including one of those off-set wrenches pictured above, you can get a partial turn from each wrench that has the box end indexed slightly different. It may take a half hour, but it will come out.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Is there any way to take the rear tray off? On my old setup, I had no engine tins and that top bolt was easier as I was getting it from the top.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I will try Chill Out Freeze Action Penetrant, Kimball Miswest sells it
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Is it fun working on cars? Im not sure.

Sears and Ace didnt have those half moon wrenches. I did what i vowed to never do again: buy tools from harbor frieght. The half moon wrench was a sloppy fit on the bolt and made from low grade jello of course. You know where this goes................rounded off bolt.
I took a hack saw to the air injection line so now I have a little more room to work. What shoud I try now? Nut splitter? Never used one. Seriously cars suck...im gonna lease a 4cyl auto camery and forget about this hobby......
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Can you get a hacksaw blade on it? Maybe you can cut just the nut enough to split and not damage the stud.

Patience Grasshopper....
Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What is your ultimate goal in removing the exhaust?

If you are going to throw away the current muffler, one option might be to cut through the exhaust pipe and remove the cat/test tube/muffler. then you get a straight shot at the bolt.

I am able to fit a crows foot in there with the square connection hole toward the engine, and then connect a 3/8 small breaker bar or small socket to it and turn it a few clicks at a time and then reset and turn again.

If you are now dealing with rounded nut you may have to cut. if you cannot get a dremel in there, then a hacksaw blade with tape over half of it so you can hold it in your hand might work. Or you might be able to get a torch on it though that would be tough.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Tried over the top and all the other ways which I succeded in breaking one of the other upper studs So got a superb low profile chain pipe cutter( Snap on brand ) as the other top bolt was also stuck tight and cut the dxxxx thing off. Sent the muffler out for reweld as it was a Kremer special one. Proceeded to work on the stud with various easy outs which broke the stud even further so now it was flush with the turbo housing. Still no movement so drilled it out cleaned the threads and reinstalled a new better grade stud and the rewelded muffler using better brass nuts in case it needs to come off again. Oh well it is nice now.

Last edited by voitureltd; 10-02-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: