Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbofrog

First time at the track, huge smoke on startup

I know I have the ball 8 or 9 mm in the intake hose at the idiot light banjo and at the lower position. Hammering the track I got puff of smoke when ever I used full boost (0.8bar) and after the session when started again huge cloud of smoke and it stayed there unless i STARTED MOVING?

BB headers with the bent wg tube so the BB? container can fit. Some sort of k27 hybrid and tial Xmm wg with straight tube.

No smoke after the track so somehow the pumping of the throttle got the better of the engine/turbo/oiling?

How should I handle this?

tighter ball in the incoming line to turbo? Or just check the scavenge pump functioning?

Brakes were fading, pushed more than I liked with 10 yrs old rubber (245-255) but very educational although not so fast (first time with a P-car or rear wheel drive).

Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Exclamation Acident waiting to happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
I know I have the ball 8 or 9 mm in the intake hose at the idiot light banjo and at the lower position. Hammering the track I got puff of smoke when ever I used full boost (0.8bar) and after the session when started again huge cloud of smoke and it stayed there unless i STARTED MOVING?

BB headers with the bent wg tube so the BB? container can fit. Some sort of k27 hybrid and tial Xmm wg with straight tube.

No smoke after the track so somehow the pumping of the throttle got the better of the engine/turbo/oiling?

How should I handle this?

tighter ball in the incoming line to turbo? Or just check the scavenge pump functioning?

Brakes were fading, pushed more than I liked with 10 yrs old rubber (245-255) but very educational although not so fast (first time with a P-car or rear wheel drive).
Way past their shelf life... and if you value yours, get new tire asap.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like oil was ingested into the air cleaner housing, Perhaps from a high oil level, Recommend running the breather hose into a catch can and running no higher than the middle of the range on the dipstick, Sounds like you had fun!

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyn930 View Post
Sounds like oil was ingested into the air cleaner housing, Perhaps from a high oil level, Recommend running the breather hose into a catch can and running no higher than the middle of the range on the dipstick, Sounds like you had fun!

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Hmm, good point. I tried to run low but did not measure it. Oil meter at 3 position (normally low on dipstick) which normally also means a bit of a noice (like power steering fluid low clunking).

Next time I will try a catch can to see if it helps. That would be the easiest solution for this.

As for the tires, I bought a set of RUF speedlines with those tires and I'd like to learn the dynamics of the car on slippery rubber before trying to achieve good times with better rubber.

Lifting throttle IMO was the best way to cure the understeer but then you loose speed so maybe there are better ways like different lines but when it happens it's too late. 245/255 should be good for understeer? My other set is 255/315 with new rubber but isn't that too much rear biased and more for bling and street driving? Both sets weight about the same though.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

These cars are ass heavy - big rears and put some heat in the fronts...unless ur running 335's rear don't worry about it. As for the life of those tires CHANGE THEM NOW BEFORE YOU CRASH YOUR CAR. not joking.

Don't post until you change them, they are not slippery they are dangerous. I know slippery and loose at 130+ with 345 R comps with throttle steer...don't risk your life without need.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Btw my FRONT tire is a 315/35/17...unless you want to pull 1.4 G's 315,255 setups are good and balanced.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
As for the life of those tires CHANGE THEM NOW BEFORE YOU CRASH YOUR CAR. not joking.

Don't post until you change them.
Sorry for posting already but they don't feel that bad like you seem to think. No problems at the street speeds at all.

I'll wear them out pretty quickly as they spin so nicely on first gear WOT .

They just don't give you the confidence at the track on the faster corners so I just take those a bit easier. What they give me is the chance to learn how to handle rapid rear end movements at a safe environment.

Lots of level space around the track and I even forced one spin on 2nd gear by giving WOT even after the rear got sideways. That was not easy as the 2 prior spin_tests (car already sideways) ended up getting controlled in an uncontrolled manner by lifting and letting the steering wheel center by itself. That was not planned but that the way both of the prior times were straightened without loosing too much time at the beginning of a main straight? It was a bit odd to say the least and the cabin full of hands too.

I really needed to concentrate to get a full spin. Even though people say 'dont lift' 'dont lift' I did and it saved the spins? I also lift to steer so I kind of don't get the 'dont lift' at all? Maybe I will learn later as I come from 4wd track experience where I always steer with throttle lift and pumping the pedal.

Last edited by smurfbus; 09-29-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dude, you need the bible of Porsche:
Written by THE MAN Vic Elford himself,
"PORSCHE High performance Driving Handbook"

Read it, memorize it, practice it, preach it.

DO IT NOW! best money you'll ever spend on a book

Amazon.com: Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook (9780879388492): Vic Elford: Books
Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Sorry for posting already but they don't feel that bad like you seem to think. No problems at the street speeds at all.

I'll wear them out pretty quickly as they spin so nicely on first gear WOT .
smurfbus

Nothing to do how they look, they feel...

The tire compound are good for about 5 year max. They may have a major failure at any speed. It could be:

A - On the the track by yourself, where it will be a costly mistake; or

B - On the highway after being on the track, where it could be front page news...

Like this %^$#@* "driffter" who kill a couples waiting for the bus... Update: Suspect. He did not set out to kill people that night but shyte happened.

Now if you were changing tires at the track (which does not seem to enforce safety rule) it will only involve you and the car, your choice.

On a submarine, some hoses (that are made from better rubber) are change after 4 years from the installation date or 5 years from the cure date which ever come first.

The small surface of the tires in contact with the road at any given time is your safety line

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Ok, got your point.
The season is over anyway so it's good time to swap rims and do some refreshing for the somewhat beaten speedlines. The wider tires are new and look much better too with 17in Lindseys. Wide rear is stunning.

If I buy dot tires for the speedlines is 245 275 a good setup. Wider than that gets really expencive.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

JJ911SC is right, I'm glad you're listening to us on this as there was a guy over on 6speed forums in a 996 gt2 that had a catastrophic failure simply because the tire was old and came apart with normal street use. We just want to make sure you and others are around to drive another day.

As far as tires go, summitumo makes a great 315/35/17 for $100, good grip great in the wet and cheap. Stick with 17's not 18's and you will be happy.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Smurf-

Great to hear you're out there enjoying it. Good for you.

If I recall correctly, you come from the school of ludicrous power'd quattros 8-). That's my other life here as well, and I'm with you in your throttle approach.

I've always lifted then feathered thru it when the arse end comes 'round. Lifting tucks the nose in and then you feather to re-plant the rear back into terra firma.

Seems to work 8-).

And I had to laugh about your tire approach - safety issues aside, I'm with you in your thought to learn the car loose first before going full-stick. I get mine sideways in the rain @ any/every opp just to tattoo its tendencies into my soul.

Keep up the good work over thar!

Oh and btw - VOTE TO BAN unless you post up some pics, capice!?!? 8-)

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Teaser: You have seen the pics before. Although I've done some minor mods and plan to do some more.

Quattro is so easy to drive, just point and use power. Ran the 'Ring' 8.31 earlier and had to slow down on the fast sectors as my nerves could not handle the speed/blind curves.

Last edited by smurfbus; 09-30-2010 at 06:37 AM..
Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Turbofrog

DOH, it's not the brether/airfilter as when I drove home from the track yesterday and let it stay for 40min it did not smoke when started.

But today huge cloud of smoke so now I'm really hoping it's related to the turbo/scavenge/oil feed as the engine was rebuild 5kmiles ago and that was the major reason for shoosing this car. I'm starting to have nightmares I think.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Update: Removed the BB oilsump and it was pretty clean BUT the uplink to the scavenge pump was a bit kinked.

It had been like this for a long time but the track session finally blocked it enough so that the pressure started to build up in the system and I THINK some of the oil went to the intake and some blew threw the IC and leaked above the engine from the TB connection as it was all oily from there to the front of the engine and oil dripped anywhere from the trans engine connection area in a big way.

The RR of the sump took almost the whole day as the FIT is really poor and I had to hammer/pound one corner of the cump big time to get it installed without touching the WG pipe like it used to do.

Now after 4 hours of driving with some bad odors still vaporizing out it was almost smoke free, knok knok knok.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Update2: No more smoke on street use so it was the kink on the scavenge hard line after the oil sump. Track usage smoking still a question mark but hopefully it was cleared at the same time.

One phone pic of the car to selebrate the non smoking condition.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: