Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think the moral of the story is that the 911 turbo is still an icon and a benchmark; the Carrera (in the nicest possible way) never was.

But guess what? I actually "lost" a drag away from the lights the other day; first time ever in over 8 years... The difference was that I actually waited for the lights to change!

The guy in the suped-up, little, blue Ford (with GT40-style white stripe running up and down the bonnet and along the roof line) was so keen to get away, he went when the lights were still emphatically on RED! And I don't mean by 0.1 of a second, but literally 2 seconds early!..

So I waited.. I'd just hit boost, had reeled the little cheat in easily, and our lanes were just about to converge into 1, when I noticed that he was approaching a cyclist in his lane (the inside) rather rapidly.. Discretion is the better part of valour.. I hit the brakes and made room for everyone. (He'd have either smashed into me, the cyclist, or the both of us.)

I might add, all conducted within the speed limit and no traffic-law violation on my part.

Last edited by tj930; 10-03-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Old 10-03-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

I was watching youtubes of how insanely fast the new 997 turbos are, just otherworldly speed.

Yet they seem so fat, bland, quiet and uninvolving. The 930 is fast enough to keep up with most of what is out there, and just so pure in spirit.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

Let's see pics of your car - and, what many here are asking - are you truly a gal?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
I was watching youtubes of how insanely fast the new 997 turbos are, just otherworldly speed.
Yet they seem so fat, bland, quiet and uninvolving. The 930 is fast enough to keep up with most of what is out there, and just so pure in spirit.
Yeah, here's on of my favourites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YvB2UhfuEw

Last edited by tj930; 10-03-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Are you truly a gal?
Craig, I can't think that's a terribly polite question. But one thing's for sure, if the "Arch Nemesis" story is entirely accurate, she's a pretty decent driver

Anyhow, I've got a number of Porsche 'Internet friends' and their gender really doesn't matter - amusingly, I've been in communication with some Scottish dude called Lindsay for about a year before I noticed that "she" was actually a "he" (these male/female cross-over names are terribly confusing some times ).
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Me like track days

TJ, why would it not be polite? Simple question, the posts indicate a gal.
A car to associate with the name and all these kill stories would be appropriate.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage Queen

Garage
Yes, I am a girl. These cars are definitely a joint project with my husband.

I know it's not a picture with the cars but here I am with my son on vacation.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheGAL View Post
Yes, I am a girl. These cars are definitely a joint project with my husband.

I know it's not a picture with the cars but here I am with my son on vacation.
Yeah, but how do we know that is really you?! LOL

I guess we better get ready to prove our gender from here on out.

Nice writeup (kill) Stephanie.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Me like track days

Right on. BTW, responding to PMs received so that's why we asked.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Wow I thought the gal was an acronym or something. If you're ever in the NC area you should come up for a TurboPalooza event with ur hubby.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Me like track days

Exactly. Nice to know a real gal is on here for a change and not some 14 year old pretending to have a 930.

Had a guy on another forum use pictures of my car from *this* forum, claiming it was his ........ had all these stories about how he tracked it, blew people away at stoplights, etc etc.

Anyway: WELCOME!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Since I have done all the work to mine I have alot more wannabes trying to race me they will come up behind me on the highway and flash their lights several times and then give me the lets go wave. They usually try to pass me and I will let them get a slight lead then downshift and let them know what speed is. I think its the whine from the turbo that drives them nuts.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Exactly. Nice to know a real gal is on here for a change and not some 14 year old pretending to have a 930.

Had a guy on another forum use pictures of my car from *this* forum, claiming it was his ........ had all these stories about how he tracked it, blew people away at stoplights, etc etc.

Anyway: WELCOME!
What forum was that Craig it would be nice to give them a visit
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Wow I thought the gal was an acronym or something. If you're ever in the NC area you should come up for a TurboPalooza event with ur hubby.
We have been talking about going to TurboPalooza. All those cars would be fun to see.

Also, I'm not alone. Sandy, who runs our Porsche Club in Columbia, owns a red original M505 930, slant nose, and a boxster. She will turn your hair white if you drive with her.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Yeah, 300HP, real close......
Dave,

I did miss the supper charger part so you got to get in your 'nanner-nanner-nanner' shot.

I also missed where is was said it was a Shelby 500.

For what it is worth:

If it was a Stock GT it would have been 300hp.

If it was a GT with a supper charger kit it could be anything from around 400hp or more.

They even had SC kits for the V6 and I think you could order your V6 to mostly look like a Shell. I believe Roush was pushing V6 supercharged Mustangs at about that time.

If a stock Shelby 500 you are correct and it would have been 500hp at 4008lbs.

Well done!

For what it is worth if it was a Shelby 500 convertible test stats were:

Quote:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.1 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 20.6 sec
Street start, 560 mph: 5.4 sec
Standing -mile: 13.4 sec @ 108 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Braking, 700 mph: 170 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

Most Shelby's had big hood stripes but not always. I think the Shelby stripes were an option on the lesser Mustangs. The GT40 style wheels were mostly a Shell wheel if I recall correctly and a reasionable tell.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Dave,

I did miss the supper charger part so you got to get in your 'nanner-nanner-nanner' shot.

I also missed where is was said it was a Shelby 500.

For what it is worth:

If it was a Stock GT it would have been 300hp.

If it was a GT with a supper charger kit it could be anything from around 400hp or more.

They even had SC kits for the V6 and I think you could order your V6 to mostly look like a Shell. I believe Roush was pushing V6 supercharged Mustangs at about that time.

If a stock Shelby 500 you are correct and it would have been 500hp at 4008lbs.

Well done!

For what it is worth if it was a Shelby 500 convertible test stats were:

Most Shelby's had big hood stripes but not always. I think the Shelby stripes were an option on the lesser Mustangs. The GT40 style wheels were mostly a Shell wheel if I recall correctly and a reasionable tell.

The car was a Cobra because I couldn't help but see the snake emblem and it was on the front as well. From looking at pictures on the web, I could only tell it wasn't older than 2007. The models below 2007 didn't look the same. His convertible also had a silver bar across the back seat; I do not know what it is called. Kinda like a targa bar. The car definitely had a supercharger. It was all black.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Dave,

........................snipped for space..........................
LOL
If I commented on all your posts, I would have wore out my "nanner-nanner" (at least that was spelled correctly) keys on my keyboard.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Me like track days

I wish I could remember which forum - I gave the guy a ton of crap, even signed up on the forum and he eventually took all the (my ie "his 930") pictures and made up stories off...

Was rather funny though ;-)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish I could remember which forum - I gave the guy a ton of crap, even signed up on the forum and he eventually took all the (my ie "his 930") pictures and made up stories off...

Was rather funny though ;-)
Heheh.. I'm still smiling after reading that, Craig
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

My car just tends to attract the attentions of middle-aged, greasy bikers in pub car parks, who waddle over with a pint of beer in their hands - never engaged the services of a 14-year-old 'ghost writer' like you

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: