Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakil View Post
It's interesting you are so skeptical of gray market cars yet you have an 83 Turbo? Isn't that a Euro? My SC is a Euro and it's great. I have more horse power and never have had any issues with registration, etc. In fact the 930 in question is being sold by a dealer. The big draw for me for Euro is the extra power.
If I read Tilikum's sig correctly, it sounds as if its a '83 911SC with a 3.3l turbo engine swapped in...so not necessarily a Euro model.

Are you still considering turbo?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Me like track days

Pictures and a link to a listing would be a good start - and more importantly a PPI as mentioned.
Get under it on a lift and take some pictures!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

One thing that I wonder about grey market cars is whether the mileage is really correct. The speedo had to have been changed when brought into the US, that is always an opportunity to fudge things. I often wonder about early 911 SCs with swapped out speedos, there seems to be a lot of low mileage SCs out there.

As someone pointed out, not all grey mkt conversions are equal. I remember the eighties well, there must've been hundreds, if not thousands, of grey mkt companies that cropped up to take advantage of the situation. Many of them were "here today, gone tomorrow" kind of companies.

I also want to point out that PPIs are somewhat overrated. They are only as good as the person doing it. There are a lot of mediocre mechanics out there, very very few great ones. I've had one one great PPI, this guy's inspection was so detailed it blew me away. On the other hand I've had several, as it turned out, lousy ones.

Mac

Last edited by matsuzaka; 10-09-2010 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

mine is grey but came into the family right after it was made. There were a few shady things done like a charcoal canister ziptied to the fuel filter. Most of these things are easily undone and probably sorted by now on most cars.

THe milage thing is valid but how much does it really matter on these cars. The speedo can literally be disconnected with out even using a screw driver. That is why ppi, records and all suporting data is more important than milage with these cars and all cars more than around 20 years old imho.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Me like track days

Just ask on the 911 forum for the best palce in your area for the PPI.
A car without one is a big mistake, ask me how I know...

Good thing is converting these cars is pretty easy and huge mistakes are hard to make - unlike many other cars imported during this time.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

[/QUOTE]I'm really debating whether to even take it to the ppi stage. All the money I've put into my SC so far is less than half what I would be paying for this 930, but considering the rarity, I thought it might be worth it. From the replies, it doesn't seem to be the case.[/QUOTE]

What ever you do dont test drive this car!!!! If you drive a 930 and it is even running soso you will fall head over heels for the lust of more boost. the best thing is walk away slowly and save yourself the fun and enjoyment that a 930 will bring. porsches are great cars but 930s are what SCs want to be when they grow up!!
anyways hope you are able to buy the if it checks out.

cheers ed
Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakil View Post
It's interesting you are so skeptical of gray market cars yet you have an 83 Turbo? Isn't that a Euro? My SC is a Euro and it's great. I have more horse power and never have had any issues with registration, etc. In fact the 930 in question is being sold by a dealer. The big draw for me for Euro is the extra power.
My 83 911 is a US version(previously 3.0L normal-6), which was updated to a 3.3L turbo from an 86' US 930(and about another $10K in parts alone to complete the car from one end to the other)

So I do own a US version of my 911, it's just a bit of a bastard-child' since of course there were no narrow-bodied, targa-bodied turbo's sold in the US at that time, or anytime. I believe it's a better car than having the later turbo-'look' option that was neither turbo, but a heavier variant with no additional power.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: