Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Thinking of Buying an 84 930, need advise

Ok, I have an 83SC that I really like, and know quite a bit about, but today I saw my first 930 in person and it blew me away. Beautiful inside and out 1984 (obviously Euro). Odometer says 90k (lets assume that's correct). I didn't drive it but know the previous owner was some rich guy that didn't skimp on upgrades and upkeep. It had a nose cooler (is that stock for an 84 930?) Everything looked very good. It's priced at $27k. Obviously I would do a ppi and drive it before I buy, but wanted to make sure that was even worth the effort. I live in Texas so I don't have to worry about SMOG tests if the car is older than 25yrs. Assuming there are no hidden issues, here are my questions since I'm a novice to the 930s:
1. Is $27k a reasonable price?
2. What are the main issues with buying a car like this? Some other postings I read said this car was designed for 95 octane??
3. Anything that a 930 Euro would require (upkeep, etc) that a standard non-turbo 911 would not have to worry about?

Any other inputs would be helpful.

83SC Euro w/77 3.0 Carerra Eng.--sold
Several other daily drivers not worth mentioning...

Last edited by jwakil; 10-02-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the 930 world. Your questions are pretty general due to lack of pictures and information on the car you are considering. First you need to drive it before you commit to a 930. Now for the answers I'll have to make assumptions. I assume this car is average condition, never been rebuilt and passed PPI.

1. Due to this economy this 930 should go for less than $27k especially if it has never been rebuilt.

2. Not true that 930 required 95 octane. Just use premium from well known and respected gas stations. Many different issues can prop up depending on the condition of the car such as electrical relays, ignition, fuel system, engine oil leaks, intake (boost) leaks, etc. Common types of problems can be addressed by an average do it yourself mechanic.

3. 930 has an extra fuel pump (I could be wrong!), turbo and intercooler. It's not much more than a regular 911. Just that a 930 faces more heat shortening its engine life (really the valve train) comparing to a 911. Frequency of oil/filter change is the same for either.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Being a ROW, (grey market) car I recommend that you verify that the seller has the DOT, EPA release letters, Plus follow the usual steps to verify its condition, If possible have your PPI done by a mechanic experienced in 930's ,

Hope everything goes well,

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not enough info: 27k could be a bargain or a rip off. You need to take it for a ppi and dig a little deeper. Does it have any aftermarket parts? Usually turbo exaust and intercooler are the first to be upraded. Is the body perfect? Has it been repainted or is it original?

there is one thing that is certain: 27k can buy a pretty nice 930 these dys. If you can spend that you can find a decent one. It may or may not be this car.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Since it is already titled and registered, I assume the DOT stuff has been taken care of....

The other thing I was wondering about was how easy it was to work on compared to my SC for example. I've gotten to the point where I can drop my engine fairly easily and do all the other normal stuff (valve adjust, mixture adjust, etc). When I opened the 930s deck lid, it looked awfully crowded. My understanding is the 930s also use the CIS injection system, unlike the 84+ non-turbos. Is that right?

Also, a Euro 930 would be ~300hp vs 280hp for the US 86-88 models. Is that right? That would make it a very powerful and rare car.

I'm really debating whether to even take it to the ppi stage. All the money I've put into my SC so far is less than half what I would be paying for this 930, but considering the rarity, I thought it might be worth it. From the replies, it doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

Nothing particularly rare about a Euro 930 in my opinion. There are quite a few of those around, especially since the turbo was only available through grey market import in the USA between 1980-1985.

So it might not be rare, but it will be more powerful than your SC. Bear in mind that the 930 (except 1989 models) has a 4 speed transmission. It really makes the turbo a very different beast to drive than your SC. These cars are geared for speed and like to go fast, but the 4 speed can be a pain in the @$$ around town (not what they're made for anyway).

If you're comfortable with DIY repairs on your SC, you'll find the turbo isn't much harder to work on. Yes, the engine compartment is more crowded, and you'll remove the intercooler for just about any work that you need to do in there. Luckily R&Ring the intercooler is easy. Turbos have CIS injection all the way up through 1994. Motronic didn't come to turboland until the 993.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Like everyone else said, look around and get the one you pick checked out to make sure it is solid. I think you will enjoy a 930.

You should plan on some basic mods if you want to wake the car up and improve its low end response/around town driving, gas mileage, and fun factor. So plan to spend a few thousand on these items:
- flow through muffler
- adjustable WUR from Brian Leask or elsewhere and dyno time to tune AFR's
- replace stock turbo with a newer K27 model
- replace intercooler if you replace the turbo

These changes will give you a car that is driveable around town, accelerates very well, is fun to drive, gets fair gas mileage, and is overall more fun to own.

I found the above mods transformed my 930 and consequenlty my opinion of my car. I was comparing it to a 3.4 G50 911 I replaced which was well sorted and very fun (but not very quick, comparatively) to drive.

Closing up gear ratios would make the car perfect. Stock 930 2,3,4 gears are too wide. I think bringing 3rd and 4th gear down a bit would really make a difference. But still, overall this is not a big deal. You just don't use 4th much under 70MPH.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
And no, a nose cooler is not standard. I have one though and LOVE IT!!!!! I live in fort worth texas, and it is a MUST HAVE for the hot climate.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Welcome!
All good advice. Once you get on the boost pipe you will be hooked!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Usually with a car this year and older the DOT & EPA papers aren't required anymore.
1987 911 Guards Red ( Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Personally...I would find an excellent 930 model that was originally designed and engineered for the US market(as in smog, safety, emissions, etc). Not just in this forum, but since 1980, I have known a LOT of people who have bought gray-market cars, only to find conversions where done iffy

When you try to run that "VIN" at the dealer for anything...they simply do NOT know you, and neither will Porsche North America will have anything to do with your car, period.

In terms of an accident, your car may have legal issues that it wasn't up to US Standards(such as door instrusions, bumpers that are not 5MPH, glass that is not DOT certified, etc)...in terms of smogging it...it was converted, but by whom? On the flip-side...re-sale down the road? One NEVER plans on reselling a car or house when one is in the mode of buying it, but it WILL be a questionable buy more so to anyone one in the "know" who may want to purchase down the road, and attempts to run that VIN for something like a CARFAX.

Gray-market cars...I just won't go there. Of course this is one-mans opinion.

Be VERY careful on an"impulse" purchase of anything. Cars are an investment...and usually it's very much a negative-return investment(in terms of dollars).

Last edited by Tilikum Turbo; 10-04-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
being a newbie I can only throw in my two cents. I have a 84 930 slant and love it. I live in AZ and the car has been here since 84. I am not a mechanic but I find the car fun to work on. I have been pulling out all the 80's stereo crap and alarms that used up a ton of power and just generally going through it step by small step. Being that the car is older there are a lot of little things to do but I enjoy it. THe oil cooler in the nose is a stock thing I believe, they did not start putting them in the vents on the side until 86 or so. From what i Have read the US did not like the idea of a oil cooler in the front grill for fire hazard reasons but since these cars are ROW that rule did not apply. I had no problems registering it with ZERO paperwork on the emissions. I had no problem with insurance. As stated above it is a little tougher at the dealership or with repair manuals as the diagrams are not quite the same as our cars. As far as the value I paid more than 27K but something is only worth what you are willing to pay for it. my car was owned by a family member since 85 and I knew how he took care of it so the records were not a issue and I don't plan on selling it ever. Surprisingly most of the parts are relatively inexpensive, now I have not gotten into anything huge but the the small trim pieces and nuts and bolts just are not that bad. feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Personally...I would find an excellent 930 model that was originally designed and engineered for the US market(as in smog, safety, emissions, etc). Not just in this forum, but since 1980, I have known a LOT of people who have bought gray-market cars, only to find conversions where done iffy

When you try to run that "VIN" at the dealer for anything...they simply do NOT know you, and neither will Porsche North America will have anything to do with your car, period.

In terms of an accident, your car may have legal issues that it wasn't up to US Standards(such as door instrusions, bumpers that are not 5MPH, glass that is not DOT certified, etc)...in terms of smogging it...it was converted, but by whom? On the flip-side...re-sale down the road? One NEVER plans on reselling a car or house when one is in the mode of buying it, but it WILL be a questionable buy more so to anyone one in the "know" who may want to purchase down the road, and attempts to run that VIN for something like a CARFAX.

Gray-market cars...I just won't go there. Of course this is one-mans opinion.

Be VERY careful on an"impulse" purchase of anything. Cars are an investment...and usually it's very much a negative-return investment(in terms of dollars).
It's interesting you are so skeptical of gray market cars yet you have an 83 Turbo? Isn't that a Euro? My SC is a Euro and it's great. I have more horse power and never have had any issues with registration, etc. In fact the 930 in question is being sold by a dealer. The big draw for me for Euro is the extra power.

Last edited by jwakil; 10-08-2010 at 09:03 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Since I have one of each I can tell you I would much rather drive the euro. 86s and up are dogs. They can be fixed but you will want to **** can the cat and the air pump crap. Then put a decent muffler on it. Welcome to the boosted world!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've owned one of those dreaded, bad, nasty,worthless, grey market cars for almost 23 years and it's been registered in at least 6 states that I know of. Never had an issue with a BMV anywhere. I've been arrested for speeding in at least 10 states and no one ever impounded it or gave it a second thought.

Been listening to this grey market crap for all 23 years I've owned the car. The only difference is the grey market car didn't have half the bureaucratic smog s--- on it the us cars did. All the smog crap and eco greenies can kiss my ass and as far as safety is concerned the way I drive I'd be killed anyway.

From the factory we spelled the US cars US LOW.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 10-09-2010 at 04:47 AM..
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I've been arrested for speeding in at least 10 states

Cole
Why am I not surprised ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm old so I have to hurry so I can see and experience as much as possible before I croak !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Go for it! You only live once.

I was having issues with my heart in 2007 and finally said, "Screw it! If I'm gonna kick the bucket, I want a turbo." I bought my 79 930 and went through that, a 91 turbo and my current 86 turbo in the span of 3 years. The 86 is the most fun to drive because of the mods.
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I've been arrested for speeding in at least 10 states

Cole
I got a chuckle from that Cole!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I think you'll be very pleased. If the car is everything you want it to be and the overall condition is in good standing and things checking with I am not saying the Unicorn of service records. ie Often times un-obtanium.

Remember, a lot of guys here in California are more stressed with such imports as the laws and regulations in California are quite strict to that of Texas, one can't simply say that just because a car was imported that it's bad, good, or better. It's the individual vehicle and it's present state of condition. I'd be skeptical if the car was in distress and leaking had a bunch of mechanical issues and was not refined and running right.

Goood luck-

Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: