Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
grounding issue?

so we found some bad seals on the intercooler and replace them and found one of the lines on the back of it not connected. replace the seals reconnected everything and the fuel pumps would not come on. pulled the wire to the boost gauge and grounded it and the fuel pumps come on. switched the wire from the boost gauge to what we think is the over boost and the car runs. in one of the scenarios it went to over boost under idle and shut down. We are thinking the intercooler is not getting grounded? with all the stuff that was not connected we are now doubting we reconnected it properly.

15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
follow up. so with everything connected and adding a ground wire to one of the bolts on the intercooler the car runs. Boost gauge is still at 0 when it should show boost. I ran it up to 4K rpm in 2nd and felt the kick but gauge says 0. I have the larger porsche intercooler can any one send me a picture of the wires that connect to the terminal on the back of the intercooler which is what we are thinking is the over boost and then the wire connecting to the orange thing under the intercooler which we think is the boost sensor. what are the symptoms of a bad sensor? what are the symptoms of a bad over boost. should there be another ground on the intercooler? any advice will be appreciated. thanks
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I think there are couple of pics on the recent no start thread of those wires.

My 1978 wont start...help
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

J,

The original boost gages in the bottom of the speedometer suck. You should consider getting a 935 style VDO boost gage that replaces your clock and operates off of a vacuum signal by taping into the brake booster line.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 10-07-2010 at 04:59 AM..
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that as I am getting ready to have the dash recovered and that would be a good time. But for now I am trying to see if I have a bad sending unit or bas wiring somewhere.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If I understand your original two posts correctly, you had the wires for the overboost pressure switch and the boost gauge sender mixed up. The overboost switch has a white wire going to it, and I can't remember what color goes to the boost sender (the big orange thing). Brown, maybe??? Do look at the pictures shown in My 1978 wont start...help

Symptoms of the overboost switch failing would be no fuel pumps running. If that switch isn't well grounded, then it would act as though the wire isn't connected to it (when the switch trips due to high boost, it interrupts ground and shuts down the pumps).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
great new problem solved. the ground wire was gone.... I mean like some moron never put it back on years ago gone. THe same person I presume did not install the wiring correctly!! Added a nice ground wire where it is designed to go, swapped the wires and holy crap I thought the car was fast before. There were lines not attached to the intercooler...THe lower sleeve was disintegrated because they used the wrong sleeve, and the O ring inside the connection between the turbo and the intercooler was cracked and flimsy. One concern though. after taking her down the freeway for about 5 minutes she had some grey smoke coming off the engine. not the exhaust but the engine. cant really see a certain spot and I am thinking that maybe its the oil residue that has been building up on the turbo and other parts that finally got hot today when the Turbo actually started working. degreased the underside this afternoon so I can start fixing the oil leaks and am hoping that will solve the grey smoke. the engine runs smooth. we will see I guess.

15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: