Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Gents, just joining the party here. This WMI set up looks like cheap insurance and I am interested in learning more (will read the whole thread and do some internet searches of course).

I would not necessarily add this to my car to make more power, but rather to protect the engine. Cole, Jim, any of you guys who are now running this on your 930s...do any of you monitor cylinder head temps? Intuitively I would think this WMI would lower CHT (and I think possibly also oil temps) assuming you don't crank up the boost. Just curious if anyone has CHT data and can share temps before and after WMI.

I just did a trackday two weeks ago and drove my car HARD. Peak CHT hit 374F Damn hot for sure, but car seemed to run fine, did not hear any detonation. However this was in relatively cool ambient temp conditions. Things would probably be different on a 90 degree day in August. Average CHT was 340F, hot, but I think not so bad for an aircooled forced induction engine at near constant WOT on track. Just thinking that WMI might keep these temps lower, make parts last longer...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

Jacob,

I had done a lot of researching of WMI before I started this thread and my original intent was preventing detonation and controlling head temps. WMI has been documented to lower head temps in all cases and in some as much as 300*

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Jacob,

what does your CHT hover around during normal cruise? mine's usually 300*
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Jacob,

I had done a lot of researching of WMI before I started this thread and my original intent was preventing detonation and controlling head temps. WMI has been documented to lower head temps in all cases and in some as much as 300*

Cole
Ok that's huge and then it would seem to be a no brainer...must learn more.

Mooney, normal cruise tends to be 300, but it will go a bit higher when ambient temps are really hot in the summer or I'm pulling up a long hill.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

WOW Cole. I am going to take you up on your offer to visit. I have got to see the sled and glean some well needed knowledge from you. Not to mention meeting you of course.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)

Mark,

I'd love to meet you and you are always welcome. You have my number and due to the fact that my wife refuses to take me out in public I am always here and the "Sled" is just 8 feet away.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Yep, I've got your number. I'll see about sometime in June if you're free.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)

Mark,

I'm looking forward to it.

Cole
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

I manage to get my gear mounted today. I picked up a drill bit and tap for the nozzle. Has anyone done this method? I see alot of bungs welded on to the intercooler. Philip

87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)

Phil,

Great job you'll love it !!!! You'll be fine drilling and tapping the IC as it doesn't require a lot of metal thickness for the nozzle as long as you don't over tighten or take it in and out a lot. Adding a bung is best though.

Cole
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)

Garage
I've moved my injector around a quite a bit and have used bungs as well as drilled/tapped holes. I have not noted any significant difference even when threading directly into a section of tubing without a bung.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

meth/denatured alchol

Well I have a few tanks of meth through the system now. I get about 1 tank of meth/1 tank of gas. I've tried a few different types of summer washer fluid, with different results. Last one, a nascar labeled brand was really crappy. I had to adjust the full flow up to 1bar to get the car to run right. Next off, I am running methyl alchol/distilled water @ 50/50. Has anyone tried denatured alchol? Is there any difference in the cooling function? Cole, I drilled and tapped the intercooler, which was paper thin, but ended up welding a bung to get the nozzle flush with the inner surface of the I/C. cheers Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
What kind of tubing or hose are you guys using to run from front to rear?

I see Jim is using 1/4" nylon instrumentation tubing which I'm a little apprehensive about it because it's more fragile than something like conventional automotive injection hose, however the injection hose may not be compatible with methanol in the long run. I'm at the point of needing to buy hose shortly. Any recommendations?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)

Garage
has anyone mounted the meth pump in the engine bay and drafted off the fluid reservoir up front?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)

Jim2

I used polyethylene tubing. First time around, there was a bare piece of tubing not covered with wire covering, and it rubbed through and leaked.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)

Do you have a wide band sensor in the car. Your ratio of meth to water will change your A/F.
When I first installed mine I was in the 10's with the meth injection. I have to readjust my WUR to compensate for the extra fuel. I run snow performance boost juice. I now run 15lbs of boost and have a 11.5 A/F to 7000 rpms.. I can tell you after a hard run I touch the intercooler intake pipe and it is hot and I go to the outlet pipe where the nozzle is for the meth and it is cooler than outside temps.

I have used denatured alchol and didn't see any difference. I find it easier to just buy the boost juice and drop that in . Same mix evertime..
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
What kind of tubing or hose are you guys using to run from front to rear?

I see Jim is using 1/4" nylon instrumentation tubing which I'm a little apprehensive about it because it's more fragile than something like conventional automotive injection hose, however the injection hose may not be compatible with methanol in the long run. I'm at the point of needing to buy hose shortly. Any recommendations?
I use the 1/4" semiclear nylon hose because thats what Coolingmist sells with their WMI kits or by the foot. Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

I can buy the same stuff locally by the foot for around 1/5 the price and it works perfectly. The hardware stores have it because the same tubing is used in refrigerator door water dispensors and ice cube makers.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I use the 1/4" semiclear nylon hose because thats what Coolingmist sells with their WMI kits or by the foot. Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

I can buy the same stuff locally by the foot for around 1/5 the price and it works perfectly. The hardware stores have it because the same tubing is used in refrigerator door water dispensors and ice cube makers.
The push in fittings for that type of tubing are referred to as 'John Guest Fittings' if you need to make any more plumping mods.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)

In this 200psi high pressure methanol and water application it's much better to use the quick release nickel plated brass push in swivel fittings most of the WMI venders sell.
When you push in the little ring on the end the hose is released and pulls out, and can be pushed back in and locks back in place.

Here's some from coolingmist..
Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: