Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
wastegate not opening,..

1980 930 euro

i dont know why i just realized this, i guess i had my mind on fixing other problems with the car but,

i have a wastegate dump from fabspeed on the car, and realized the last few times i have driven the car the wastegate has not been opening,...boost has never went above .8bar (assuming there is some sort of safety thing so motor doesnt blow)

is this a blown diaphragm? i have a new line connecting into the intercooler with new clamps, so no leaks there,...

is there anything else that could have "broke" inside the wastegate? i should be aware of,...

i will be upgrading to a set of fabspeed headers in the new future and wondering if now is a good time to replace with a 46mm tial, or just rebuild the stocker

Last edited by jimtweet; 10-10-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

how do you know the wastegate isn't working?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
cant hear it, waste dump tube is clean as a whistle!, no black carbon or anything

i have had external wastegates on my last two turbo cars, and you could hear them from 30 miles away when they opened

i would think this would be the same? esp with only 4 inches of pipe coming off of it
Old 10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

for a quickie test jam a potato in there, take it out and floor it...

no potato later and .8bar boost? why worry about it.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
i have a wastegate dump from fabspeed on the car, and realized the last few times i have driven the car the wastegate has not been opening,...boost has never went above .8bar (assuming there is some sort of safety thing so motor doesnt blow)
If your wastgate isn't opening, then you would overboost beyond .8 bar and the overboost protection circuits would kick in and shut down the engine. On the flip side, if your WG was leaking or stuck open, you would not be able to reach .8 bar.
Sounds to me like your WG is working just fine.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Are you expecting the huge PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH sound? I have a buddy with the shortie WG pipe, and he does not get that sound either. I think its normal.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie Ghoulie View Post
Are you expecting the huge PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH sound? I have a buddy with the shortie WG pipe, and he does not get that sound either. I think its normal.
hahaha, i dont know what sound you are trying to make there, i am not talking anything like a ricer blow off valve or anything, i just know when my wastegate opens on my other cars, you can hear the thing from miles away,..its deafening
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I can hear when my WG opens. My exhaust note increases quite a bit with a sudden onset.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
1980 930 euro

i dont know why i just realized this, i guess i had my mind on fixing other problems with the car but,

is this a blown diaphragm? i have a new line connecting into the intercooler with new clamps, so no leaks there,...

is there anything else that could have "broke" inside the wastegate? i should be aware of,...

i will be upgrading to a set of fabspeed headers in the new future and wondering if now is a good time to replace with a 46mm tial, or just rebuild the stocker
"..I have a wastegate dump.."

Something like a BOV, Blow-off-valve, to DUMP pressure the instant the throttle valve closes...? If so it sounds as if it's partially (full..?) open full time.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
I can hear when my WG opens. My exhaust note increases quite a bit with a sudden onset.
see this is what i am talking about,..

i would expect with two weeks of driving, there would be some carbon build up in the wastegate dump pipe, and its clean as a whistle
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
see this is what i am talking about,..

i would expect with two weeks of driving, there would be some carbon build up in the wastegate dump pipe, and its clean as a whistle
Then one of two things: In your two weeks of driving, you're not on full boost often enough to open the WG and "dirty up" the pipe....or, you're running too lean on boost and don't have any unburned fuel left to coat the pipe with carbon.

As I said earlier, if the WG is not opening then you have to ask yourself where that boost is leaking out at. Even the old stock 3LDZ turbos will overboost without a functioning WG.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: