Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Hey Justin, don't forget to put the borescope back through an autoclave before you return it to the hospital

And don't feel bad buddy, I"ve had to pull a engine/tranny 3x!! before I got it right!! Although you CAN fix this if it's the fork without pulling the engine, it's just not fun

91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

is that a cup holder on your brake service stool?

classic
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Anyhow, will keep u guys posted... just got pull the motor.... again... Friday afternoon... the first day of Turbopalooza I'm gonna get the car there this weekend come hell or highwater
Get'r done man! The car's still up in the air right? I think getting it up high enough is the hardest part of dropping the engine.

When I assembled my trans and engine, I had my buddy doing the "pushing together" from the end of the trans while I looked through the hole with my flashlight to verify 'successful insertion' of the release fork to TOB. IIRC, something was off on the first try, so the two halves had to be pulled apart and we tried again. The second time, I had a hand on the splined end of the shaft at the bottom of the trans (where the clutch release arm attaches) and I carefully controlled the angle of the release fork as the two halves were coming together...this is the key, I think.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
The second time, I had a hand on the splined end of the shaft at the bottom of the trans (where the clutch release arm attaches) and I carefully controlled the angle of the release fork as the two halves were coming together...this is the key, I think.
That is how I did it. Use the arm to move the fork into position as the two assemblies come together. That little window in the top of the bellhousing is a life saver in that situation.

Juicersr, is your interior gutted? If so maybe you could create an access panel in the rear seat area to view the window from above while your helper aligns the fork from below.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Try doing the engine R&R by yourself and mating the trans to the engne by yourself. It sucks. Maybe thats why it takes so long to mate them together. It either goes right together or it's a b*tch.

BTW, I had a buddy who's clutch fork had a small crack in it. Took awhile to figure out why it wouldn't operate correctly. He was using a hydraulic setup though.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Hey Justin, don't forget to put the borescope back through an autoclave before you return it to the hospital

And don't feel bad buddy, I"ve had to pull a engine/tranny 3x!! before I got it right!! Although you CAN fix this if it's the fork without pulling the engine, it's just not fun
LOL, thanks Todd, i feel much better about Friday now

Funny thing is, when i was in surgery practice, i used to have two nasopharyngoscopes lying around and got rid of them when started doing ER... had no idea they could have been so handy.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
is that a cup holder on your brake service stool?

classic
Good eye Fairman... that was acutally the most important tool at the end of the day Sunday when we were trying to figure this stuff out.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
When I assembled my trans and engine, I had my buddy doing the "pushing together" from the end of the trans while I looked through the hole with my flashlight to verify 'successful insertion' of the release fork to TOB. IIRC, something was off on the first try, so the two halves had to be pulled apart and we tried again. The second time, I had a hand on the splined end of the shaft at the bottom of the trans (where the clutch release arm attaches) and I carefully controlled the angle of the release fork as the two halves were coming together...this is the key, I think.
Jacob, thanks for the encouragement. I WILL be there this weekend.

i actually was manipulating the pivot arm like you described, but at the last half inch of space, i let go, assuming that i was a done deal...grrrrrrrr.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Will, while the interior is not gutted (has a thin veneer of RS interior) i think we are just going to use the boroscope.

Had to work the ER tonight, but my buddy is going to go take a look and see what he sees.

Either way, we are going to pull the motor again Friday, and i am probably just going to install a new fork anyhow to eliminate cracking as a variable. Stay tuned dudes.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
thats the cleanest ive ever seen yor motor burn that midnite oil bro. i didnt want to drive 800 miles to get my hands dirty!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwguy View Post
thats the cleanest ive ever seen yor motor burn that midnite oil bro. i didnt want to drive 800 miles to get my hands dirty!!!!!!!!!
LOL Frankie baby, dont worry, it wont stay that clean for long.

Oh, and have no fear bro, ur gonna 'get your hands dirty' all right, on Saturday nite that is....
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Just pull the tranny out and re mate it to the motor out of the car. I have done 3 clutch changes Stock, SPEC, Imagine Auto, and it's always tough getting the fork aligned to the throwout bearing. I would think it's almost impossible with the tranny in the car and actually would take longer to do the removal and install. Oh wait make that 4 i also put a new clutch in the 911 just before the ex took it. I think my next one will be a KEP.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Justin,

I was wondering where those Turbo plumbing pics. you were going send me were at. Appreciate the pics, but you really didn't have to drop the motor, in car would have been just fine.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Justin,

I was wondering where those Turbo plumbing pics. you were going send me were at. Appreciate the pics, but you really didn't have to drop the motor, in car would have been just fine.

Cole
Cole, hey buddy. i sent u about 10 different pix of the plumbing on my last email to ya. u didnt get??? I will send to you again, sorry bro.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Well, here is the problem.

Just confirms what most of you fellas have been saying. If you can enlarge or look at this pix closely, you can clearly see that the 'ears' of the TOB are just a **** hair away from being seated on the notch of the clutch fork fingers.... Mo-Fo!

So, basically what we need to do, is separate the motor from the tranny just about an inch or so, and rotate the TOB counterclockwise just a few degrees until it 'sets' into its proper location. We hope we can do this without having to drop the motor again. What do you guys think?
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Well, here is the problem.

Just confirms what most of you fellas have been saying.
Yup, you missed.

Quote:
So, basically what we need to do, is separate the motor from the tranny just about an inch or so, and rotate the TOB counterclockwise just a few degrees until it 'sets' into its proper location. We hope we can do this without having to drop the motor again. What do you guys think?
That should be doable, as long as you can verify that everything is correct before you bolt it up and the guide tube wasn't damaged during your previous adjustment process you should be ok. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If you can do it with the engine still in the car and using a mirror to install it, you'll be a SUPERSTAR! I have a hard enough time doing it on the garage floor.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
If you can do it with the engine still in the car and using a mirror to install it, you'll be a SUPERSTAR! I have a hard enough time doing it on the garage floor.

Let us know how it goes.
Yeah, keeping my fingers crossed that it is doable as well.

Hopefully, the hard part (getting the clutch fork in right position) is done, just gotta be careful in massaging the TOB ears onto (but not past) the clutch fork 'finger' slots. I guess the hard part will be moving the motor back just far enough to get some 'play' in the TOB but not too far. I used to do endoscopic sinus surgery, so working in small holes is not new for me, but i am limited in my instrumentation here, LOL
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Justin,

It's most important to get you on the road. I did not get the pics and would appreciate your resending them after you get back from the weekend.

david.cole@teamqualityservices.com

THANKS - AGAIN !!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Just realized that i never provided closure to this thread.

We were able to successfully separate the motor from the tranny (which remained in the car) by about 1.5 inches, and this gave us just enough room to manipulate the TO brearing into proper position over the ears of the fork. It took a couple of tries to get it right using a strong magnet to manipulate the TOB arms, as we would shove the engine and tranny back together, and then check postion with a mirror, but we accomplished in the the end.

This was my first time replacing the clutch with the tranny in the car. i have to say that knowing what i know now, it was fairly straightforward if you can jack the car and motor up independently of each other to get proper alignment. The 935 style motor mount with 'balancing bars' at the bottom made the job easier however.

BTW, there was another reason why we had difficulty with clutch adjustment. Due to the ridiculously high stiffness of the pressure plate that i took out of the car, over time, the lever arm which attaches to the clevis pin had BENT rearward so that clutch adjustment would have been pretty much impossible. Furthermore, the cotter pin that holds the lever arm to the clutch pedal was also bent I should have known that this was going to be the case when my clutch pedal snapped due the the high pressure plate loads last year.

Anyhow, loving the KEP S2 clutch. Super smooth, no more annoying on/off in stop and go traffic, and reassuring to know that it can handle anything i throw at it or whatever boost i am running.

Cole, my apologies, will get those pix to you again.

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: