Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I can get 300 miles between fill ups (18MPG) if I commute with my car. Just noticed that again today when I filled up b/c I always reset my trip odometer on fillups. My gas gauge swings around a bit as the car gets low so I like to sanity check with the odometer.
7006 k27, RarlyL8 headers and muffler, LM-1 dialed in AFRs.
Even that could be improved on - I never can go for a ride, let alone a tankful, without letting it have it at least once or twice. Hey, even the owner manual says to pop off the wastegate at least once every trip!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

solaris pete, quit being such a wuss! j/k. the popping lets everyone know you're driving a hot rod. i think if you're cruising in 4th on the highway and not getting on the boost, you can get 20 mpg provided your car has been tuned up and is running right.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
I can get 300 miles between fill ups (18MPG) if I commute with my car. Just noticed that again today when I filled up b/c I always reset my trip odometer on fillups. My gas gauge swings around a bit as the car gets low so I like to sanity check with the odometer.
7006 k27, RarlyL8 headers and muffler, LM-1 dialed in AFRs.
Even that could be improved on - I never can go for a ride, let alone a tankful, without letting it have it at least once or twice. Hey, even the owner manual says to pop off the wastegate at least once every trip!
WTH! I'm glad if I hit 150 miles before I fill up.
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

+1 ^^^^. My mileage sucks but then I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear with high revs just listening to the engine purr and crackle on decel.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
+1 ^^^^. My mileage sucks but then I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear with high revs just listening to the engine purr and crackle on decel.
Me too!
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaman fu View Post
solaris pete, quit being such a wuss! j/k. the popping lets everyone know you're driving a hot rod. i think if you're cruising in 4th on the highway and not getting on the boost, you can get 20 mpg provided your car has been tuned up and is running right.
Since my '78 Targa, 180HP, will get ~20 only above 90MPH I find it difficult to believe a TurboCharged engine running off-boost, detuned/derated mode, would do the same. 20% less, ~16MPG, at best.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

930 is geared higher in 4th than an SC in 5th... 3000rpm is 80mph, and if you have it tuned to run around 14.9:1 AFR at steady cruise around 70mph you can get around 22mpg, maybe even a little more.

Thats how mine is with a 20% fuel delivery over stock CIS flowtech modified USA fuel head and Brian Leask adj. control pressure regulator, B&B headers and muffler, and 964 cams.

Idle AFR is around 13.5:1 for a smooth idle with 964 cams, and full boost AFR at 6000+ rpm is 12:1
Cold start AFR around 80 degrees ambient is around 10.5:1AFR and raises to warm AFR in about 60-90 seconds. It starts and runs absolutely perfect!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwest View Post
Since my '78 Targa, 180HP, will get ~20 only above 90MPH I find it difficult to believe a TurboCharged engine running off-boost, detuned/derated mode, would do the same. 20% less, ~16MPG, at best.
Believe it. I get 20ish plus all day long in 4th at 65 MPH limit on the freeway.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Jim,

Aren't you also running more than stock 25 deg advance at cruse?

Seems that should help to.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
930 is geared higher in 4th than an SC in 5th... 3000rpm is 80mph, and if you have it tuned to run around 14.9:1 AFR at steady cruise around 70mph you can get around 22mpg, maybe even a little more.

Thats how mine is with a 20% fuel delivery over stock CIS flowtech modified USA fuel head and Brian Leask adj. control pressure regulator, B&B headers and muffler, and 964 cams.

Idle AFR is around 13.5:1 for a smooth idle with 964 cams, and full boost AFR at 6000+ rpm is 12:1
Cold start AFR around 80 degrees ambient is around 10.5:1AFR and raises to warm AFR in about 60-90 seconds. It starts and runs absolutely perfect!
Nice tune!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Yes Keith, it is.
When I bought the car ignition was stock and so was the CIS lambda system and fuel head. It got around 20-22mpg on the highway back then too. On a long 675mile nonstop trip my exhaust pipe was a nice medium brown color. Never see that with combination city and highway driving now though... just dark a grey.

I have static timing around 10 or 12 degrees before TDC and the relatively new USA 1987 vac advance and vac retard distributor is working fully stock as it should with no vacuum or thermal switches in either of the vacuum lines, and the MSD 8762 boost retard module also pulls back timing starting at 5psi boost.

My steady cruise timing is probably around 35 degrees BTDC and full boost timing gets pulled back to around stock with the factory boost retard and the MSD boost retard set to retard timing 1.5 degrees per psi starting at 5 psi both retarding timing under boost at the same time.
MSD 6AL CDI with 7000rpm rev limiter pill, magnacore wires, and Bosch W4CS plugs gapped at .040"
This ignition set up really wakes the car up.

I am using a vacuum solenoid grounded by a summit racing digital rpm switch in the boost pressure line going to the control pressure regulator set to open at 4600rpm as a "boost clamp" so midrange AFR is not too rich.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

That is a lot more timing than stock at cruse.

For reference I believe the 3.2's with higher compression and efi often run in the 40 deg range at cruse.

I am pretty sure the 91/2 C2 Turbos with electronic timing run 40 on cruse.

Just seems this would help the 930 run more efficiently at cruse if MPG is of any concern.

Timing and AFR are the basics for getting more out of each power stroke no mater if at WOT or cruse.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Yes Keith, it is.
When I bought the car ignition was stock and so was the CIS lambda system and fuel head. It got around 20-22mpg on the highway back then too. On a long 675mile nonstop trip my exhaust pipe was a nice medium brown color. Never see that with combination city and highway driving now though... just dark a grey.

I have static timing around 10 or 12 degrees before TDC and the relatively new USA 1987 vac advance and vac retard distributor is working fully stock as it should with no vacuum or thermal switches in either of the vacuum lines, and the MSD 8762 boost retard module also pulls back timing starting at 5psi boost.

My steady cruise timing is probably around 35 degrees BTDC and full boost timing gets pulled back to around stock with the factory boost retard and the MSD boost retard set to retard timing 1.5 degrees per psi starting at 5 psi both retarding timing under boost at the same time.
MSD 6AL CDI with 7000rpm rev limiter pill, magnacore wires, and Bosch W4CS plugs gapped at .040"
This ignition set up really wakes the car up.

I am using a vacuum solenoid grounded by a summit racing digital rpm switch in the boost pressure line going to the control pressure regulator set to open at 4600rpm as a "boost clamp" so midrange AFR is not too rich.
Sounds awfully familiar, but Jim's got me with his 964 cams.
We get the best of both worlds: a much needed performance wakeup and better gas mileage.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: