Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Great! I hope he listens to you because he is not listening to me

Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Why does he drive it that distance Juan? I'm sure others trailer their cars there (or at least partly) Anyway, all the more reason this is one hellof an accomplishment. I'm glad he's there to represent the P-car community!

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
My bad....I'm glad your BOTH there to represent us!

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.” Anonymous

What do i know, i'm only an armchair driver (so far) when it comes to the 200+mph club. But, it seems to me there must be a reason why aerodynamic aids exist in cars cabable of 200+mph.

Bello has all the power he needs to break 240mph, but between u and me Juan, it baffles me why he has he not started to address the aeorodynamics end of the equation??? A rear wing to keep the rear more planted and a front diffuser to keep air from underneath the car would go miles towards greater stability at all speeds.

Everyone keeps talking about larger rear tires, but with 1200 on tap, i doubt that would make much difference, and Bello being a life-long drag racer knows more than anyone what he needs in that dept.

I am reminded of what the Kremer brothers said when preparing their 935 to win Lemans. There is really no luck involved with this stuff, it boils down to knowing what the problems are with a car that has the potential, and then addressing them. Success then becomes (almost) a mathematical certainty.

Just some thoughts, as we would all love to see him achieve his goal, which is so tantalizingly close!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

there was a big debate on another tread about this. Drag vs. Down force. There has to be a balance of the 2 when you are pushing the car to it's limits in a mile race. On the salt, that may be another issue entirely as you have a long time to get up to speed before you hit the traps...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
there was a big debate on another tread about this. Drag vs. Down force. There has to be a balance of the 2 when you are pushing the car to it's limits in a mile race. On the salt, that may be another issue entirely as you have a long time to get up to speed before you hit the traps...
For clarification, this has nothing to do with that painful thread which ended up being a discussion about which was better, an apple or an orange. This is about the possiblity of Bello adding subtle but effective low-drag aerodynamic aids to allow him to more effectively keep his car planted and in a straight line in order to achieve his goal of 240+mph.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

R.I.P.

Juicersr - Al has a point but practice makes perfect. In any kind of racing consistancy must be established before change can be made and recognized.

His issues are with the first half of the track. Traction on an unprepped surface is difficult to say the least and since he doesn't like the "feel" of slicks he is stuck running radials.

Salt flat guys have longer to get up to speed but traction is still an issue with them.

Typically wings and scoops are not found on top speed vehicles, They are smoothed to the point of looking like a bullet. Traction control via a staged boost controller is what he needs to get the car up to 4th gear, once the car is over 150mph he can pour on the power.

Every One mile racer uses boost controllers or Nitrous controllers to slowly bring in the power, Eddie just needs to do the same.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
drmatera

Yokohama STREET tires, he won't run the drag radials on the mile runs, when I did my run it was on the new Toyo Drag radials, and they were great.

I don't think the problems are on the aerodynamics of the car, simply, there has to be a way to control the boost and there's only one way, a boost controller, without that we will never get there, too much power or not enough power at X time. When is needed. One day he will realize that, and then we will move forward but then again, if he was to listen to what everyone has to say he probably be making 600 hp for years

My conclusion is based on my own R&D with my car, granted, I only have 700hp, but it was the same problem at 22 psi the car will spin in 1,2,3 playing with the boost controller. I was able to monitor and finally set the boost in a way that it will work and won't spin the tires, 1,2,3 at 18psi 4 and 5 32psi

Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Juan, We'll get him there. Lets plan a night to meet up at his shop, kind of a 911 turbo meeting of the minds. I have some ideas for an inexpensive multistage controller that we can put together. To bad he doesn't run Megasquirt. The boost controller works off of RPM and throttle input.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
It sounds Good, I will pray to the Turbo Gods that this works
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
For clarification, this has nothing to do with that painful thread
This is why I didn't link to or quote that thread....
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
Juan, We'll get him there. Lets plan a night to meet up at his shop, kind of a 911 turbo meeting of the minds. I have some ideas for an inexpensive multistage controller that we can put together. To bad he doesn't run Megasquirt. The boost controller works off of RPM and throttle input.
ok starting to think about megasquirt for my EFI conversion. your slowly beating me down lol
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

R.I.P.

Ken, My T-palooza debut went off without a single glitch. The car transitioned from e85 to gasoline with ease, she fired up great from the cold 48* mornings and after a hard run up the mountain. I couldn't be happier with it's performance and reliability
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
the Lambo Crash Video, never mind the thing had 1900 RWHP

YouTube - Underground Racing Twin Turbo Gallardo Crashes At 200+MPH Texas Mile
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow...it's amazing that the driver walked away. Looked like he lost control when the chute opened. Could high winds contribute to this wreck?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Everyone is pointing out that it was due to the wind coming from the side, if you play the video and stop it almost at the time of the chute deployment you will see that the brakes' lights are on, at the 1.13 mark on the video and based on that I think that it was a driver error to hit the brakes and pull the chute, but that's just my observation with my DOT Safety skills
Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
R.I.P.

i've seen a few drag cars end up the same way

Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: