Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
New Window Felt

Just got the window frames powdercoated black, and decided to change the window felt and all other trim.

I've noticed that the window motors are really struggling to get the windows up and down, now. I'm sure it's the new "tight" fit.

Any suggestions on how to "ease this up a bit?"

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I haven't done this on my Porsche, but on other makes.

On new felt I saturate it with silicone spray, the kind that goes on wet, then dries leaving a dry film. And keep it indoors away from the dust until it dries.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
alright, that's an idea...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I pulled my window and frame out last winter to replace the door latching mechanism and didn't have any issues after re-installing, so perhaps it is the new felt. Silicone spray does help.
If you did the work yourself, then you know about the various window frame mounting points and how they are adjustable. Pehaps the frame is slightly out of alignment? Just a thought....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've used graphite powder which works well but is messy.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger's 2937 View Post
I've used graphite powder which works well but is messy.
yes, prob messy. but, may be the answer...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I pulled my window and frame out last winter to replace the door latching mechanism and didn't have any issues after re-installing, so perhaps it is the new felt. Silicone spray does help.
If you did the work yourself, then you know about the various window frame mounting points and how they are adjustable. Pehaps the frame is slightly out of alignment? Just a thought....
yes, i've adjusted all the mounting points... still too tight... maybe the motor is weak???
Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

It's some work, but can you remove the window from the electric motor and try to make it go up and down by hand? Maybe take it off the regulator as well to check. This might show where it's binding.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
It's some work, but can you remove the window from the electric motor and try to make it go up and down by hand? Maybe take it off the regulator as well to check. This might show where it's binding.
was thinking I may have to do it... if anything, just insert something into the crank-hole and manually crank up and down until no more binding...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I have just worked through this with one of my cars.

I pulled the electric motor - looked and worked fine on the bench.
Then I pulled the regulator and the cross-arm - all the wheels and channels were greased and worked fine out of the car.
Then I looked at the window guides a little closer and found that the glass was binding because the channels weren't parallel.

If I had looked here first, I would have save myself a few hours work and skinned knuckles.

Before you start pulling all that stuff out of the door, fiddle with the alignment of window guides first.
The ones at B are easiest to get at because you just need to pop out two plastic plugs on the outside of the door. However, adjusting these may move the top of the frame too far in or out relative to the body.
The adjustment at A is best as it has less effect on the in/out position of the top of the frame, but you have to take off the door trim to get at it.
Just try moving either leg of the frame and see if it takes enough pressure off the motor for it to run more freely.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911

Last edited by billjam; 10-17-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Thanks Bill... Yes, I've fooled around with these - - prob quit too early. Well worth a few more tries - before taking window motor out...

and, yes I've seen how "B" moves the top of frame in and out 3/4"... I'll be patient with it and hope it yields the result I'm looking for.

thanks!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: