Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 vs. SC or 3.2L bumpers on a 1976 930 ?

Hello, folks,

I have been thinking of returning my 1976 930 to a period correct looks. After a lengthy "cooling off period" finally feel could actually do it.

The questions I have are:
- could one use most of an SC or 3.2L 911 bumpers?
-- known differences to me are:
--- At the front of car: spoiler underneath bumper
--- At the back of car: corner bits are different

- Picture is of a 3.2L car (only for illustration purposes)::

- Please are there any other differences in bumpers?
- I have already bought a 1979 front-spoiler / part where fog lights are attached to (beneath bumper)
- Differences between years: are your aware of any external differences between different 930 -years? (body-wise). Yes rear spoiler, but any others?

Motivation for these 3.2L vs. SC -questions is, that I have thought perhaps there are more parts available (easier to find). My car also needs rocker panels. They are clearly different on a narrow body car. Of course, if you know of these bits lying at some garage dusting, please let me know

Greetings from Finland!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The bumpers from a SC and Carrera will work on your car. The thing is you need to find the correct headlight washer nozzles and I'm not sure if the bumper openings are the same for them.

The front valence will work on any bumper as you can fit a SC style or Carrera style on them. The rear fender extensions are turbo specific as they flare out more and they mate to a regular bumper, as do the rubber bumpers and impact strips. The early impact strips have a bigger plug on the left side. I think the Euro ones have a built in reflector as well.
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks WPOZZZ, this information makes project easier, as SC / 3.2 bits are easier to find.

I have thought will make "period correct -looks" project in stages:
- Stage 1: Rocker panels
- Stage 2: Bumpers
- Stage 3: Rear spoiler

So far I've done:
- Bought a front spoiler from Sweden (has not arrived yet)
- Bought a Blaupunkt Frankfurt period -radio from Germany (arrived, but not fitted yet)
- Put back original steering wheel
- Bought a spare wheel (fitted already)

Stage 3 is something I am not ready yet for. Car currently has a largish intercooler.

Finding bits from Finland is like living on Mars with a 930. Can view the world through a small keyhole, and try to locate bits and bops.

Here is car as it is now (with respect to previous owners, I do like the modifications a lot. But if you have two hot chicks, eventually you cannot have both, so what can you do):

http://content.us.porsche-clubs.porsche.com/PorscheClubs/pc_finnland/pc_main.nsf/web/41B692830045A890C12577250068BBA8/$file/slide_IMG_3411.JPG

Hope to add photos once project is more on the way...

Greetings again from Finland
Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
It's good to see another 76 on the board, there's not too many around. I'm shopping for a used rear lower valence and there seems to be a difference in the lower lip (it seems to be thicker, perhaps someone could shed some light). Looks like it could interfere with the muffler, or perhaps the turbo piece allows more heat to escape???

Anyway, keep an eye out in the classifieds there's frequently all the parts you need. The turbo forum has a bunch of great guys as well, so if a seller doesn't want to ship I'm sure one of us would take the time to receive and send your way.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I just removed my rear valence and it really does not look that bad from behind. It's just extra weight in the worst position IMO.

We still need to get the local 930 mini meet arranged trooper.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway-Star View Post
Thanks WPOZZZ, this information makes project easier, as SC / 3.2 bits are easier to find.

I have thought will make "period correct -looks" project in stages:
- Stage 1: Rocker panels
- Stage 2: Bumpers
- Stage 3: Rear spoiler

So far I've done:
- Bought a front spoiler from Sweden (has not arrived yet)
- Bought a Blaupunkt Frankfurt period -radio from Germany (arrived, but not fitted yet)
- Put back original steering wheel
- Bought a spare wheel (fitted already)

Stage 3 is something I am not ready yet for. Car currently has a largish intercooler.

Finding bits from Finland is like living on Mars with a 930. Can view the world through a small keyhole, and try to locate bits and bops.

Here is car as it is now (with respect to previous owners, I do like the modifications a lot. But if you have two hot chicks, eventually you cannot have both, so what can you do):

http://content.us.porsche-clubs.porsche.com/PorscheClubs/pc_finnland/pc_main.nsf/web/41B692830045A890C12577250068BBA8/$file/slide_IMG_3411.JPG

Hope to add photos once project is more on the way...

Greetings again from Finland
I forgot about the rockers. Those are turbo/turbo look specific as they are wider in the front and back to accommodate the flared fenders. They are available on the used market, but you just need to be patient. I'm pretty sure you can find them here on Pelican.

The rear tail is the biggie. That is a little on the rare side as they were only on 76-77 models so there won't be a lot running around. I do know my mechanic has a tail that looks like it was from a turbo as it has the 2 grilles, but I'm not 100% certain it has the correct ducting and the correct 2nd grille.

Best of luck on your resto plans!
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hello,

- '76/77 whale tail: Are there any good giveaways that tell an aftermarket item from a factory part?
-- like Porsche -logos or part-numbers somewhere?
--- For example, later ('78 tail) has a logo in the rubber, it is visible when one looks the tail from behind, and from a low angle
- '76/77 whale tail: Is my '76 car good with any of the '76/77 whale tails? (ie. are there differences within the 3.0 turbo tails?)

- What material is the original tail? Steel? Plastic? Fibreglass?

- Have noticed some tails have 2nd grille size or location different
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/DSC033251284042969.jpg

vs.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g224/carreracat/inventory-pictures-312.jpg

Have now searched classifieds, and perhaps there are some early tails that are still available. Good thing is, I believe the 'early whale tail' has not been that desirable, not something that folks would upgrade to (like say 9" Fuchs). Many have swapped them for later model, to fit an intercooler. (like on my car). Difficult to say where my original tail currently is, maybe travelling on an SC that has come without whale-tail from factory..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: