Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
a.k.a. Kevin M.

Narrow turbo vs. “934”

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding a narrow body turbo car vs 934 type car.

I have ’76 911 project (my first and only Porsche to date) in the works and I am considering using all of the parts I have to finish the car….which would make it narrow body on 6” front and 7” rear wheels.

In my usual “I don’t know what the f’ I am doing….but 250hp just won’t be enough for my 2000# car” style, I am having a 930 motor built.

I also have acquired a set of “934” flares so that is an option, to run 9’s and 11’s or something like that.

Not sure if a narrow car with a turbo tail would look right so maybe an IC set up to fit under the stock 911 lid exists?

My main concern is tire width/traction, hence the dilemma as I have never driven a stock 930, let alone what this thing will be once done…..

As always your wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks

narrow

or wide

Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I could go either way, but as you mentioned, traction and an intercooler come to mind. A 930 tail just wouldn't look right on a narrow body IMHO. You can do a search and find options for installing an intercooler under the stock lid or go with a water/meth injection system. I think both would be the best route.

If you add 934 flairs, are you going to add the 934 front air dam? What about a tail. Seems if you add the flairs, you have to go all out.

That said, a sleeper with a turbo engine would be cool, but so would a 934 look a like. It's just up to you and your budget.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Why not a Ruf Yellowbird tribute 930?
The tea tray spoilers do not look good on narrow bodied cars, IMHO. I like the '76-77 930 tails better on a narrow body.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Why not a Ruf Yellowbird tribute 930?
The tea tray spoilers do not look good on narrow bodied cars, IMHO. I like the '76-77 930 tails better on a narrow body.
I'm going partially this route. I'm doing the body over this winter, removing the rain gutters, doing replica mirrors and bumpers.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I wanted aggressive I would choose the 934 styling.
However a clean and smooth elegant look would be the
narrow bodied car.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would like to do a 73RS with a turbo under a duck tail.

There is an aftermarket tail that looks like a 3.2 Carrera tail but it has a base with room for a full size intercooler. Much lighter look and looks great with SC rear flairs.

If you flair the rear you can get upto 275's under the rear. The factory turbo had 205 & 245's on 7&9" rims which fits under SC rear flairs with out issue.

This is the tail I am talking about. The black is not rubber, it is painted on.

I know one guy that removed his intercooler and runs it under a stock hood on a 72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny View Post

:
Old 10-17-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Can't you use a stock turbo tail base with the Carrera lip?
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you are going to autocross and go more hardcore go for the WIDE BODY.
INMOP I like the narrow/sleeper look.....It should be lighter and better top end/Aero.

Ruf-rims/tribute etc..LOOKS Great!!

Walt
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Can't you use a stock turbo tail base with the Carrera lip?
Looked into this. It seem some of the holes are different and the profile at the base is a little different. It should be doable with some work. Probably not just a bolt on.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Looked into this. It seem some of the holes are different and the profile at the base is a little different. It should be doable with some work. Probably not just a bolt on.
I am modifying a DP extended wing to use the Carrera lip on my 934ish project currently undergoing the conversion at Auto Innovations in Van Nuys. I will make sure that we get some good pics posted of the work requred for the different lip.

the below pic is the look I am going for:

‘55 Belair
‘40 Ford pickup
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

here are a couple pictures that might help you decide....

R Gruppe bicycles - Cannondale, Titus, Specialized, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Schwinn Paramount, and Scattante TT bike.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dose that require a lead car with a 'Caution - Wide Load' sign to take on public roads?

I have always admired that one.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

narrow or wide

There is a narrow body turbo in my area that is really stunning. IMO you should build a narrow body turbo w/ a duck tail, search around, I think the guys at TurboKraft modified an intercooler to fit the duck tail. There are a lot of wide body conversions 930 fiberglass etc. But how cool would a semi stock looking narrow body sleeper be?

I'm assuming this is going to be a street car? If so go narrow. If it's a track car go wide for wide rubber.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
a.k.a. Kevin M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
There is an aftermarket tail that looks like a 3.2 Carrera tail but it has a base with room for a full size intercooler. Much lighter look and looks great with SC rear flairs.

This is the tail I am talking about. The black is not rubber, it is painted on.
Do you guys have any more info on this tail....if I keep it narrow this would be the way to go.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Outlaw 911

Tail - go get some tail I say....

Love the TRE narrow body flares - I am ordering a set for my Outlaw 911 -

I am 90% sure the tail above is from a 964 RS America - I have a replica in the garage - just checked. Yes, it has a small box under the tail that could house an intercooler - the box is smaller than the OEM 78 to 89 Turbo tail, but there is room, but you will need to cut the rear lid open to make room.

Porsche tails (not including the duck) are an interesting lot - there are alot more OEM versions than I first thought.

1 Original whale tail narrow - 75 to 77 930 Turbo - I have seen fiberglass with rubber lip and a full rubber version too, but only on 911's. I think the true turbo versions have a small vent in the tail portion that had a duct down to the fan - there might have been an AC condensor in there. I saw one a few years ago.
2 Original whale tail wide - RSR - full fiberglass - version with tall verticle fins and a wing - used on early 935 (75/76)
3 Tea tray - 78 to 88 Turbo, 965 Turbo 3.3 - looks kinda heavy on narrow car - not one of my favorites.
4 Carrera "thin" - no box and almost flat - RUF used these on the YB - pretty common- very pretty on a NB car.
5 964 RS America - looks like a Carrera "thin" but with a small box underneath and bit more of kick at the end. Looks good on NB car.
6 965 3.6 Turbo and Turbo "S" - looks like a mix of a 930 and 993 tail - does not have verticle rubber fences on the side - body color. Have not seen many of these.
7 993 Turbo tail - "droopy and organic looking" probably does not fit a non- 993.

Any others?

Last edited by Outlaw 911; 10-19-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I thought 964 RSA had a rubber lip. The one in the above photo is all fiberglass, if I understand correctly. Sort of a smaller version of an IROC tail.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-19-2010, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Outlaw 911

A bit more tail...

Yup OEM RS America has a rubber lip - mine is a fiberglass replica.

The RSR and IROC are the same tail and those are bigger versions of the early turbo tail.

The top surface of the RSR, IROC and early turbo tails are not flat or parallel to the ground (like the later turbo and Carerra tail) when viewed from the side- the "wing" portion of the tail has a pretty agressive "rake" to it.

Like I wrote - lots of variations on a theme.

The later tails (after 78) Porsche started to see that controlling/fencing the air over the top of the tail - (not letting it spill out on the sides) andDroviding a vertical surface under the tail (creating a low pressure area - to help reduce lift) was more effective. Also - room for the intercooler was need - of course. I bet if the nice narrow 993 Turbo style intercooler was available at the time they tail would looked alot more like RS America tail with side fences.

Last edited by Outlaw 911; 10-19-2010 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The RS America and Carrera 3.2 tail are mostly the same and that is not it. This one has the room of a 930 under the base from what I can see and the rubber profile of a Carrera.

I believe I saw the same tail on a car at Laguna Seca. I asked the owner and he said there was a guy that advertised in Pano.

I just sent an email to Jerry Brinkley who built that car to see if he might tell is his source.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I really like this one to!

Quote:

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

trans

One other thing to consider, the 915 transmission will be the weak point, for the street you may be able to get away with it, if you track the car it won't hold up. Couple of options:

1) 930 4 speed, getting hard to find and expensive to rebuild
2)Shortened G50 from a later car, really expensive. Even w/ the the shortened case most folks have had to modify they're rear torsion bar tube, Plus you have to figure out your hydraulics etc.
3) Mendola(sp) or Hewland gear box also expensive.

I think the white narrow body turbo in the previous post is a a TurboKraft car, and is/was running a 915 transmission.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: