Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbofrog

79 930. PO did not know which bars the car has but the bushings at the back seem worn so I'm considering Elephant poly bronses even though they need lubricating. What is the schedule for Clints rear bearings?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Ok, dumb question. Is there any way to check the size of the bars on the car? This would make planning easier. I already searched but could not find any info over it here (neither in bentley or in any of my books)?
Only way check with the torsion bars in the car would be to measure the spring rate.

You probably could come close by sitting of the front bumper, knowing your weight, and having someone measure how far the front drops at the wheel center.

I do not have my spring rate info here but I think the combined front stock spring rate is probably about 260lbs per inch including bushings and tire but I forget.

Last edited by 911st; 10-21-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
79 930. PO did not know which bars the car has but the bushings at the back seem worn so I'm considering Elephant poly bronses even though they need lubricating. What is the schedule for Clints rear bearings?
Should be 19/26

Clint's rear bearings for torsion bar cars are still in the design phase. It will be a year or so, I would say.

I am fine with the polygraphites for that length of time. I do not want to grease anything since I have no grease gun or space to crawl around under there and I just hate not knowing if the grease is getting contaminated- it squirts out so it must make dust stick, and the consequences for letting them get dirty or dry it too great. Not to mention the price...

The more people who bug Clint about the rear bearings, the better. He needs lots of prodding- that is just how he is. I suggest you email him but I will let him know there is yet another person asking for the rear bearings. ContactUs

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I left a note, thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Has anybody putting the Elephant racing rear polybronze bushing had a problem with the spring plate's ride height adjuster bolts scrap on the Body? I installed these on my car and we went to align it, and realized the left and right spring plates now have the adjuster bolts scraping paint off the tub. This doesnt seem right to me, as the stock bushings did not do this.

Also has anyone ever had the torsion bar on one side pop out the steel pressed in cap from the Torsion bar's splined cover cap, which is the part bolted through the spring plate to make for adjustable ride height?

I was disappointed at the fitment of the bushings inside the torsion bar tube, both inner sides are loose, and it says to glue them in with Urethane adhesive, so good luck ever getting them out again, if needed. I will shim mine with shim stock, upon taking both sides of the rear suspesion apart again to remedy this problem of the spring plates scrubbing the sides of the tub.

The only solution I see to still use these polybronze bushings is to use a round shim plate between the polybronze bushings shoulder and the welded face of the torsion bar housing. Has anybody done this, or tried another solution to space the spring plates properly away from scrubbing on the body?

I attached a pic of the parts prior to assembly.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I got a chubby from that pic... beautiful man, just beautiful!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Uh, did you install the shims per the instructions? You need to fit shims, check the freedom of motion, then adjust the shims as necessary. I suggest you read the instructions that come with your parts. It should say something about that, just like the shims for the spring plate cover.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
@ Flieger, thanks. Per the instructions the only spacers the rear bushings come with is M10 washers to space the torsion cap out for the correct "lateral" free play. There is no spacers or shims provided to backspace the polybronze bushings shoulder away from the tub. I spoke with the manufacture face to face at Rennsport Reunion this past weekend and they said it is common for the spring plate to scrape on the tub. They also mentioned a lot of cars stock do this as well of which from all the 911s I have yet to ever see this be the case. What ever the case the way it is now on my 930 isnt right so it needs to be shimmed to correct the problem. I ll post some pics in the morning of the parts installed. Plan to take it all apart tonight so I can laser cut the correct size shims out before the weekend hopefully.

I was just wondering if anybody with a 930 has ever ran into this since the spring plates are different and the torsion housing is too in some areas.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
That just is not a satisfactory answer from a manufacturer. "They all do that" is just not good enough.

I would certainly continue with your plan to make a spacer. The spring plate or the bolts going through it should not hit the chassis.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

It looks like Clint's rear bushings are up on Ebay
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Might be a dumb question, but is there anything out there to replace this bushing for guys that are running a full coil over rear suspension?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
That is easy! The hard one was replacing the one for torsion bars.

They have been doing 935 spring plates for a long time now- well, ever since the 935s were new.

Scroll down the page a ways: Suspension1

Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Started doing the rear bushings today. I went with the Elephant Racing OEM ones. As I was torching, cutting,chiseling, and swearing trying to get the old bushings off I remembered my Fein Multimaster w/scrapper attachment. Took less than 10 minutes to get one off. It also scraped all the old rubber off the spring plate. They're rather pricey, but Harbor Freight makes a few knock offs in the $50 range.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: