Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can we discuss how to Winterize

Tis the season for some of us and a few ..like me... are doing it for the first time. I'm sure there are different opinions on this and I'm sure a few threads already exist but what is the latest and are there any new products to protect engine while its dormant for 6 months.

I've owned a motor boat and with that I used a fogging product in the engine to protect it over winter. Do you do a similar fogging to these engines for the winter? Do you start car every few weeks and run until hot? Full tank of gas or half full?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fresh oil, full tank of gas with stabilizer added, air up the tires to maybe 10 psi over normal (or lift the car slightly off the ground to take some of the weight off the tires and suspension), and plug in the battery charger. Fresh wash and wax, interior cleaning and conditioning as well, put on a car cover and leave it alone all winter stored indoors preferrably in a heated environment. Don't start it periodically unless you plan to run it up to full temperature (which means driving it).
Have I missed anything?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't store the car in the winter but instead drive it at least once every two or three weeks on nice days.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not able to resist her, even in the winter! So anytime the sun is shining and the roads are dry, she goes out. Runs sooo nice in that cold air.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Driving here over winter is NOT and option. our roads are caked in salt and when the sun comes out, the salt dries and it is even worst for a car as the salt turns to powder and coats every inch of surface area. Cleaning salt from engine bay is not so much fun.

Although I envy those who drive year round it's really not the advice I'm looking for

Anyone else got experience and advice in this area?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you have temp fluctuations like we have in NY that cause condensation try and keep the garage heated or bag the car with decsadent?? Not sure on spelling there but it comes in small bags that you place in the bag with the car and it sucks up the moisture.

The bag kit is about $150 and usually is a one time deal but it saves a lot of damage. If you have never seen a car soaking wet from the inside out with a winter weather thaw cycle in an unheated garage you wouldn't believe it. It looks like someone put a hose on your prized 930. It is the worst because it gets in every crevice. Ever wonder why every bolt and edge has rust showing even though car has never seen rain or weather.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I always found this article helpful. Porsche Club of America, Russell's Tech Tips
It is from the Northeast PCA tech site. I have never fogged the engine and have not had any problems. Oil change and fuel stabilizer are key IMHO. I leave the battery in the car with a trickle charger on it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

is your garage heated?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
is your garage heated?
HI,

Garage is attached to house and I've monitored temperature over past two winters, the garage goes down to +2 degrees C or 34-35 degrees Fahrenheit.

The cement floor keeps the garage temperature from large swings, even when outside temperature might rise or fall 20 degrees C over 24hrs. I have not noticed condensation on equipment that is stored in the garage. I'm thinking of finding a heat source that would keep temperature in the 55 Fahrenheit area.

I'll be performing my first Oil change in next few weeks by the sound of things.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
some good anti freeze should do the trick

Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I've always thought that it was better for the garage to be cold, not warm. If there is any moisture on the car it won't do anything if its frozen but could cause some corrosion if it's still liquid.

Also, if your daily driver is sharing the garage and bringing in salty slush (which melts in a warm garage leaving salt on the garage floor) that can do some harm too.

Bagging the car or getting a bubble is a good idea, using some dessicant in the car (on a tray or something) and in the bag would probably be best. You can also just put down some thin foam insulation under the car which would prevent the cold concrete floor from causing condensation on the bottom of the car when the air warms up.

I just change the oil, wash it, take it for a good drive to make sure its good and dry, put my old wheels and tires on, put fuel stabilizer in and top up the tank, cover it and plug in a battery tender. This has worked fine for its first 29 years!
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

To answer my own question here is the best I could find

Porsche Club of America, Russell's Tech Tips

Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: