Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

RUF 5 speed transmission for sale or trade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1988 911 turbo that I am returning to stock. I would like to sell my RUF 5 speed transmission out right for $7,995 or $5000 + your mint 4 speed. The 5 speed RUF functions perfectly and was recently rebuilt. I have left it in the car in case somebody wants to test it before I remove it. Any questions please email me directly.
Jessebro45@hotmail.com
305 281 1911

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Nice piece.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
PM sent.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Fair price for this unit, I was considering it when I saw it on Renn, but I did some research and the parts are getting really hard to find. It be a great piece for someone who is not considering driving their 930 too hard.

Good luck with your sale, it should go quickly on this forum
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

bump
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The parts are not that hard to find they are basically a 930 box plus a fifth gear so a lot of parts will be interchangeable.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This was a post that I found when I was considering buying this tranny when he listed it on Renn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geary View Post
The RUF is not a kit with an add-on 5th gear. I believe it utilizes a 924 1st gear, and 930 style 2nd-5th gears. apparently, even RUF has a hard time getting parts for these transmissions, as they sometimes fax around to U.S. suppliers for parts.

That was posted in 2004, so unless they started making parts since then, I would assume that parts are harder to find now than they were 6 years ago.

This is why I decided to go with a G50 conversion in my build. I didn't want to get into a situation where I wore out a syncro or gear and couldn't find the parts to replace it.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
This is why I decided to go with a G50 conversion in my build. I didn't want to get into a situation where I wore out a syncro or gear and couldn't find the parts to replace it.
That's a pretty brutal post on a for sale thread, but then again this isn't a for sale forum either...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I do not recall saying it was a kit but... whatever I have had them on a table in front of me back in the day at Autobahn in NYC same guy later got work done at Autosport performance in Englewood NJ. I have a G50/50 in mine.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Infidel

I'm not sure i understand..... The four speed boxes are being rebuilt all the time, no issues with parts! Has anyone heard of a 5th gear in ANY box ever going? It's always the lower gears that get grief, and all the stuff for rebuilding the lower gears is readily available. If i hadn't just fitted a G50 i'd buy this box without even seeing it
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei View Post
That's a pretty brutal post on a for sale thread, but then again this isn't a for sale forum either...
Why Brutal, I saw this post a week ago
RUF 5 speed sale or trade - Rennlist Discussion Forums

and was VERY interested in it.
But after some research, it seemed that parts are getting hard to find. I am planning on driving my car hard and I am not making it a trailer queen, so I decided it was not worth the risk.... that is why I posted this >>>>
Quote:
Fair price for this unit, I was considering it when I saw it on Renn, but I did some research and the parts are getting really hard to find. It be a great piece for someone who is not considering driving their 930 too hard.

Good luck with your sale, it should go quickly on this forum
Now that doesn't sound very brutal does it?

The last post that you seem to think was "brutal" was in reply to someone that said that parts are easy to find. So, am I misinformed? Are parts hard to find or are they not? Did I state that this was a fair price in a previous post?

Honesty isn't brutal in my book.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
I'm not sure i understand..... The four speed boxes are being rebuilt all the time, no issues with parts! Has anyone heard of a 5th gear in ANY box ever going? It's always the lower gears that get grief, and all the stuff for rebuilding the lower gears is readily available. If i hadn't just fitted a G50 i'd buy this box without even seeing it
That is what I thought as well, but from the research that I did on various forums, people are saying that parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Anyone else have some input on this?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey Merlin - no harm meant. I was kind of joking. I ran into this for-sale thread (on the 930 forum!) and saw your post about better value elsewhere. I'm sure I didn't get the context correct, but it made me chuckle nonetheless
Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Merlin - no harm meant. I was kind of joking. I ran into this for-sale thread (on the 930 forum!) and saw your post about better value elsewhere. I'm sure I didn't get the context correct, but it made me chuckle nonetheless
Ok, I hope that people don't think that I am putting this sale down, I just decided to go a different route because I plan to abuse (gently of course) my project car from time to time.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, I hope that people don't think that I am putting this sale down, I just decided to go a different route because I plan to abuse (gently of course) my project car from time to time.
I think you're fine. Folks who are willing to spend that kind of money are probably in search of this specific piece. Personally, if I tried to spend $8K on a tranny, my wife would slap me and tell me to buy her a Miata!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you're fine. Folks who are willing to spend that kind of money are probably in search of this specific piece. Personally, if I tried to spend $8K on a tranny, my wife would slap me and tell me to buy her a Miata!
LOL, who are you kidding... the Miata is for YOU isn't it?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL, who are you kidding... the Miata is for YOU isn't it?
No doubt I'd enjoy it, but I've been blessed from upon high with an auto enthusiast wife
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I would be interested but mine tranny is a 4 speed short bell housing. I dont think the ruff is a short bell housing. is it?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
No doubt I'd enjoy it, but I've been blessed from upon high with an auto enthusiast wife
The "spec Miata" series is quite fun and competitive. A little on the slow side though. I'd much rather spend 1/4 of the money and run my shift kart.

Wow, this seller is getting a lot of free bumps!!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

All Rufs 5speeds are short bells....
Just curious is this sold ?

Tasos

Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: