Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Problem starting

Hello to all from Orkney Islands Off the north coast of Scotland.
I wonder if any of you guy's can help me with a starting problem with my 89 911 turbo. I have tried various things but with limited knowledge and expertise i am simply not getting anywhere apart from ruling a few things out.
It all started a month ago when i left the car outside for a week , when i went to move her she would not start. I cleaned all the connections on fuses and relay's and spark box and still nothing, next day i tried again and after a few tries i noticed that she fired, a couple more tries and she started,
I took her for a twenty mile run and no probs. next day i tried again and nothing ! so i towed her and she started, same thing again and this happened several times where after she started it was no problem starting again till next morning when she just would not fire.
The one thing i have noticed that is different to before is that i can hear the fuel pumps very clearly after i switch on the ignition and press the button on the immobiliser fob, this i did not hear or at least was not as loud previously when she was starting ok, Also the first time i turn on the ignition and press the imm. button the pump runs and the sound builds up to what i would call a squelsh sound then carries on running this did not happen before. The last time she started, I had turned on the ignition and imm. the pump ran and then after 30 secs it stopped, I thought ok that's different so i tried her again and she started no problem, since then two weeks ago she will not fire at all or start.
Another thing i must say is that since this problems started , every time she has started i would leave her ticking over and after about 30 secs to a minute she would just stop as if you turned off the ignition but would start again right away, she might do that twice then after she would tickover no prob.
I have a friend here that has an 89 turbo so i tried his spark box and the little relay beside the yellow one and still nothing i will try the yellow one tomorrow but i would have thought that the fact i can hear the pumps means it's ok ! but i will say again I am sure i did not hear that pumps before when she was starting Ok.
Sorry for this being so long guys but i just thought i would put in as much info as i could Many thanks. Stan.

Last edited by avalich; 10-20-2010 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: poor heading
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

avalich,

Sounds like you may have a bad fuel accumulator.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks cole , what's bad and how do i sort it ? Stan
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

non starting

is there any fix or test i can do on the accumulater or do i need to order a new one ?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

You should buy an CIS pressure tester kit to check the wur and pressure leak after shutdown --> possible bad accumulator. Spare accumulator and fuel filter is newer a bad idea among other spares. Be sure to check the sticky thread on top of the mainpage for other non start issues
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Smurf i have been through every thread i can and the more i see the more there seems to be that could be wrong, But i will order an accumulater today

Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
starting problem