Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

God how I HATE CIS

I have been working nightshift the last 3 weeks with one day off once a week. Last night was my night off girlfriend drops by wants to go to dinner. The car starts hard has to crank a while almost floods then starts. I get one block from my house and it dies. It is running horribly rich all the sudden.will start and barely runs with a large amounts of black smoke coming out of the tail pipes. Any way she helps me push it back to the house and up the driveway. then we took her car to dinner. I checked today during daylight nothing was unplugged. Looks like it's down for the next several weeks, until i can spend some daylight time working on it. Thinking either the cold start injector stuck open, or something with the WUR. I recently had to boost the system pressure to 8 bar to keep it from running out of gas when on full boost. it's a 3.4 with 7.5 to 1 compression and at 1 bar boost the normal system pressure wasnt high enough. Just hope something else isnt leaking now due to the higher system pressure.

88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i just went my friends 88 930 s with symptoms very similar to yours.after much checking and head scratching i found # 2 fuel pump relay not energizing.it also turns on the power to the wur and idle air control, swapped foglight relay to confirm and test drove.ordered 2 new ones and spare dme relay from our host to maybe cover any future problems.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah first thing i did while it was still sitting in the street was swap the fuel pump relays. I always keep a spare in the glove box. That wasnt it unfortunately. Unless i have several bad ones and didnt know it which was my next thing i was going to check when i have some daylight.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Loosing a fuel pump will cause the pressure to drop and subsequently a very rich condition off boost and no power on boost. If so then nothing to do with CIS and you owe your WUR and fuel head an apology.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I found that 8bar was pushing even two 044 pumps. I got more fuel out of 7.3bar! I think 8bar is not good for longevity. Invest on modified fuel head instead and let the fuel pumps work on more effective pressure.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah i guess i'll find that out when I hook my cis gauges up. See if my sytem pressure is still at 8 bar. I'll baypass the relays also to make sure none of them are acting up. Thing is I am on nightshift and only have one day off at a time. So it might be a couple weeks before i can properly trouble shoot it. Hope it's not a fuel pump I replaced them both when I restored the car 3 years ago.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
I found that 8bar was pushing even two 044 pumps. I got more fuel out of 7.3bar! I think 8bar is not good for longevity. Invest on modified fuel head instead and let the fuel pumps work on more effective pressure.
I do have a modified fuel head, and an adjustable WUR, and it was fine at regular pressures when it was a 3.3 and stock compression at 1 bar. however last summer i went to a 3.4 and 7.5 to 1 compression. After that it was leaning out around 5k rpm on full boost, no matter how much i lowered the control pressure. So I called Brian Leask and he and a couple other people here let me know that when you get up into that range of horse power you have to jack system pressure up to between 7.5 and 8 bar then re adjust all the settings on the WUR. Which is what i did and it was running fine after for the last several months. At least until about a month ago when the clutch started to go, been driving it like an old lady until all my clutch parts arrive. Kinda hard taking somone out on a date in a beat up pickup truck with no AC lol.
2019 Silverado 6.2L

Last edited by Ken911; 10-19-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Kinda hard taking somone out on a date in a beat up pickup truck with no AC lol.
Gotta put her on the program and see if she's worthy. No high maintenance chicks, ha,ha!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Gotta put her on the program and see if she's worthy. No high maintenance chicks, ha,ha!
she did help push it back to the house
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Then look out for my AIC thread yesterday. I use the lower chamber lambda port to get extra fuel. It widens the pressure delta in the fuel head which has the same effect as higher system pressure. I would also invest on high pressure/flow fuel pumps if yours have already gone bad.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

ok thanks!!
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R.I.P.

2 words

Mega
Squirt

sorry to hear Ken, I guess it's good you didn't try and make the trip. Get her fixed
Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Seems issues can come up with a carb, EFI, or CIS car when it is 22 years old.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Gotta add "high-maintenance chicks" to the list.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
2 words

Mega
Squirt

sorry to hear Ken, I guess it's good you didn't try and make the trip. Get her fixed
Well i am working night shift 6 days a week until early November other wise i would have been there. Got up early to work on it some today and of course it was raining
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Or Just find a girl that drives a Porsche!! Thats what i did! When mine wont start she drives!!
74 Bronco Sport 302 Auto Beach truck for the Mutts
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
yes i agree, my comment was tongue in cheek
Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
yes i agree, my comment was tongue in cheek
I know no problem I am still collecting parts for my efi swap. have the 3.2 intake, have a spare set of heads but haven't got them twin plugged yet or started work on porting them. Haven't sent the spare set of cams out to be reground either. Still need all the sensors, injectors and a decision on which system to pick. Still need to build an intercooler(yours looks awsome by the way). I think Eddie Bello recommended a haltec last time we talked or maybe it was a motec. I'll check again before i actually get it.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
she did help push it back to the house
Ha ha, got yourself a keeper!!! good luck with the fix
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
I think Eddie Bello recommended a haltec last time we talked or maybe it was a motec. I'll check again before i actually get it.
Eddie just bought a MS2 from me for one of his customers 930's. It won't be running till next month but you can get his opinion first hand then. I am also interested in hearing it.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: