Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 vs. 993...rollbar question

i have a 1980 930

i was under the assumption that these cars interiors and structure remained the same from 65-94?

car bar is about a inch or so to tall, i cant get it into place without feeling like i am going to do damage to the roof...the car has a layer of dynamat, but i feel that this is pretty thin and shouldnt cause this?...how tight is a roll bar to the roof line?

the two rear bars, that i assume bolt into the rear shock towers,...are not even at the right angle to hit the shock towers...i dont know how to describe this

i was thinking about cutting this up, and making it as close as to the DAS bolt in...is it worth cutting up a perfectly good cage as a great price? what damage would i do to the integraty of cutting and re welding on this metal?

how different are the 930 and 993 i guess is my real question here...

Last edited by jimtweet; 11-08-2010 at 11:05 AM..
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I think they are differrent enough as you found out. Through -89 would be a better guess. I have a Safety Devices cage in my car. One of the best bolt in cages there is IMHO.

The rear main hoop should be within a inch of the headliner if not closer. A custom cage will be even closer. I'd be surprised if the rear main hoop diagnols went to the shock towers, but more likely the rear fender wells.

As far as cutting it up and rewelding it, it's possible. Can you do the work or will it need to be subbed out. That might get expensive vs someone who could fab up a cage from scratch. Material and design are key.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i have no problems cutting and welding here,...its just i dont want to mess up a perfectly good roll bar that someone else could use i guess,..
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ayeone else?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Cut and weld for sure. You can change the front feet and it will work fine.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I was looking at mine today and it's closer than I thought to the headliner. In fact, it's just touching if that helps.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: