Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New Turbo now or later?

Car : Euro 87 930 with Japanese Catalytic converter and stock muffler

(I posted this by mistake on the 911 tech forum so have reposted here)

-To date ahve driven car for approx 1.5hrs until oil leak and missfiring induced garage visit:

What started as a worsening oil leak is now starting to gain momentum!
To access the leaking oil pipe, it was decided to drop the engine - no major issue.
The car was running roughly and so the mechanics have now found that some plastic parts which are on the intake manifold are either warped due to heat? or melted and so need replacing as were letting in air - sourced from Germany and expected 10 day delay
I am sorry I cannot identify the parts properly (as I am in Italy and car in UK)
This may be part of the problem but it is also a start. They are checking the fuel line filters aswell for blockages (car ran fine cold but spluttered and restricted and stalled when warmed.
The car also has a catalytic converter (disconnected- poss. causing further fuel issues) as was set up for Japanese market - but is a Euro car. So I am having muffler and cat removed and installing new performance muffler.

BIG $$$ question is:

Should I get the the car up and running (with new muffler) and do the new turbo down the road when the bank balance recovers?

Is there any financial sense in installing a K27 7200 turbo now whilst the engine is dropped and tune the engine to the new muffler and new turbo?
-Is it easier to install new turbo whilst engine dropped?

I know I am already down that slippery HP=$$$ road as I was originally going to drive the car 'stock' before modifying

What would you do and why
thanks
Ben

Current car:
1987 930 RUF BTR clone
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would get the car sorterd out and running properly as it is, before changing to a different turbocharger, unless you have reason to believe that the current turbo is shot. Definitely get rid of the cat and go with a good aftermarket muffler as planned.

Turbo replacement isn't that big of a chore even with the engine installed. By just removing the muffler, you're half way through the task. Save your pennies and spend them first on what's needed to get her running well now.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin plugged targa View Post
The car was running roughly and so the mechanics have now found that some plastic parts which are on the intake manifold are either warped due to heat? or melted and so need replacing as were letting in air - sourced from Germany and expected 10 day delay
I am sorry I cannot identify the parts properly (as I am in Italy and car in UK)
This may be part of the problem but it is also a start.
This sounds like it may be the plastic injector blocks that mount between the heads and the intake manifold. There are not many plastic parts in the intake tract of a 930 and these are known to warp and crack causing issues.

These are made from aluminum but look exactly like the factory plastic ones and shows where they are located on an assembled engine.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Wiltel
I think you are correct and your pic is very helpfull. It looks/sounds like the part I have on order.
I presume made in Aluminium would be an upgrade from original but I believe i am getting plastic OEM again!
Still, i guess if it lasted 23yrs i should be ok for a few more.
Thanks for the input
Ben
PS I think I am going to stay with the stock turbo for the time being and cure the other issues and save for the K27 7200 for next year -
Maybe January
and so the slippery slope of HP budget steepens!
Current car:
1987 930 RUF BTR clone
Old 11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm probably not the right person to suggest this but I'd change the turbo while the engine is down. You save both time and money, especially if you are paying a shop to do the work. The 7200 should require no adjustments to your engine and will not change anything to do with the problem you currently are experiencing.
Yes the phenolic blocks crack with age and you should expect a good 15 years out of the new ones.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would dump the aftermarket Cat. That smaller cat, which were never designed for that specfic turbo engine makes the engine run hotter, and chokes the turbo.

Unless your going to gut the exhaust system, find a factory cat with low miles off an 86-89 US 930, and make SURE you buy from a reputable seller since most(but not all) used cats are cracked internally.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: