Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

looking for a used interim turbo

Gents,
Posted to the classified, figured I'd hit up those close to my heart... Looking for a fully functioning turbo to run in my 82 930 while mine is being repaired. DO NOT want a beat core or one that needs rebuild. Had a nice talk with Kevin@ultimate and he suggested I go this route along with a couple oil changes to remove any potentially lingering contaminants before they destroy my soon to be rebuilt Hi FLow. From 3ldz on up considered, k27 7006? 7200? Email with price/condition/style. Much appreciated!Thanks! Tom
slivan@verizon.net

Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You need a turbo to run your car whilst yours is rebuilt? That just is not right...

I have a 65,000+ mile 3DLZ that's been in a box for 3 years. I recall slight side play, but spooled up fine, hit hard and held 12.5 PSI for as long as you had both road and man parts.

Pay shipping and you're welcome to use it until you get yours back.

If you're interested, PM me.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Kevin suggested the same thing to me as I needed to break in a fresh motor, before mounting my freshly rebuilt K29.
14 535i M Sport
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You definately want to use a used turbo to break in the new engine. Here's a pix of my new HFS after 20 miles of no boost break in driving....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Kevin suggested the same thing to me as I needed to break in a fresh motor, before mounting my freshly rebuilt K29.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I second that BIG TIME.
Been burned enough by common mistakes made while installing a new turbo. You don't know what caused the damage until you get the turbo back in your hands. It then becomes VERY obvious.
And of course it is always the turbo's fault because the shop that installed the cheap shrapnel laden headers or put a tube of silocine sealant on the oil gaskets that ended up in the gournal or let the part-time high school kid drive a freshly installed turbo around the block on full boost or installed the new turbo during a complete engine build and let gunk laden break in oil flow through the new turbo, the list goes on and on, isn't going to buy another turbo or pay for a rebuild ...
Yes please do use a sacrificial 3LDZ. It is cheap insurance.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
You need a turbo to run your car whilst yours is rebuilt? That just is not right...

I have a 65,000+ mile 3DLZ that's been in a box for 3 years. I recall slight side play, but spooled up fine, hit hard and held 12.5 PSI for as long as you had both road and man parts.

Pay shipping and you're welcome to use it until you get yours back.

If you're interested, PM me.
Thanks for the generous offer Spuggy! I purchased one outright from another member, I'd suggest keeping yours just in case. Seems like clutter until there's not one sitting in your car!

Tom
Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
You definately want to use a used turbo to break in the new engine. Here's a pix of my new HFS after 20 miles of no boost break in driving....

Ouch! Did you find the culprit rolling around the housing? Seems as the compressor wheels are being engineered for less mass they're becoming much more succeptible to this type damage

Last edited by slyguy; 11-04-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Can someone explain why you use an old turbo on a rebuilt motor? Is it to benefit the engine or the turbo?
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Can someone explain why you use an old turbo on a rebuilt motor? Is it to benefit the engine or the turbo?
It's to benefit your turbo. The oil in a fresh rebuild gets contaminated quickly and can damage the seals especially in one of the newer close tolerance turbos. I found out the hard way.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Freshly rebuilt engines have many ways to take out a turbo. Break-in goo in the oil ends up in the turbo housing, excess sealants can go anywhere, and that nut you can't find is in the header. I think Rocket found that one.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy View Post
Thanks for the generous offer Spuggy! I purchased one outright from another member,
You're welcome, glad you're sorted out!

Quote:
I'd suggest keeping yours just in case. Seems like clutter until there's not one sitting in your car!

Tom
Yeh, I'm not planning to get rid of the stock parts I took off even though I don't intend to ever use them. Seems to me that they're worth almost nothing - until you need one of them in a hurry...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'mnot exactly sure what happened to mine, but Kevin at Ultimate said it was FOD. I did have new GHL headers and all I can think that happened was that I set my timing incorrectly and ended up having it retarded. This may have caused the headers to get too hot and dislodge something.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy View Post
It's to benefit your turbo. The oil in a fresh rebuild gets contaminated quickly and can damage the seals especially in one of the newer close tolerance turbos. I found out the hard way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Freshly rebuilt engines have many ways to take out a turbo. Break-in goo in the oil ends up in the turbo housing, excess sealants can go anywhere, and that nut you can't find is in the header. I think Rocket found that one.
Gotcha. You know, just when you think you got all the bases covered, you learn sumthin' new....

Glad I read this, I would of never thought my future rebuild would kill (or have the potential to kill) the turbo.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

No one ever went changing out turbos on new 930's after breaking in the new motor and I never heard of that on any other new turbocharged car, so why would you say thats recommended after a new rebuild?
That sounds like some very incorrect internet hearsay.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That's a good question Jim. I have some show and tell and you can draw your own conclusions (I've drawn mine).

In this exhibit the "mechanic" who rebuilt this engine thinks more is better when it comes to silicon on the oil line gaskets that should be installed dry. This snotball ended up blocking the turbo oil journal.

This is what is left of a washer that apparently fell into the header. Result was something like what Rocket posted. Cheap header FOD will do the same thing.

And this is why you put the O2 sensor after the turbo. Yes I'm sure breakage is rare but the results are devastating! It appears the O2 sensor tip jammed the turbine wheel causing the shaft to break and the wheel to explode.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
No one ever went changing out turbos on new 930's after breaking in the new motor and I never heard of that on any other new turbocharged car, so why would you say thats recommended after a new rebuild?
I thought & wondered exactly the same thing. I'm not discounting the horrific photos, mind....

Not a precaution the shops I used have taken either time my motor was apart - no problems. It would kind of suck to turn a $2,000 turbo into scrap though...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've come across only one shop in five that immediately owned up to a blown turbo being their fault and paying for it. All the others denied any culpability and blamed the failure on the turbo. In 2 of those cases the second turbo installed failed as well because the probelm was never fixed. The customer took the beating and paid for it all then drug the car to another shop.
I am sure this happens with all types of cars, you just don't hear about it. You have to know and trust your mechanic.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: