Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New Kokeln Turbo not spinning freely

Purchased this Kokeln here on the board not too long ago. Finally got the car back together, ran AN-3 oil feed lines for the Turbonetics center section and fired up the engine and did a CO 3% tune and took the car around the block. Absolutely no getup and go. Anemic. Revs to 3000, 4000 and nothing. Check all the plumbing, no exhaust leaks...and it occurs to me there's none of that turbo whine especially with the zork.... Pulled the pipe and low and behold the Kokeln is not spinning.... Could this have been bad from the get go? It arrived looking unused and seemed to be as it was advertised. The impeller turns with the hand but as you can see doesn't wind up at all under exhaust pressure. Have a look at the vid. Any thoughts here?

YouTube - MVI 2110

Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Taking a few WAG here:

Turbo binding
Leaking boost hoses
Rag, etc stuck some where
Impellers on backwards

How does it soin by hand? It should spin freely and for several seconds.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I wish it was a stuck rag... Impeller turns albeit sluggishly by hand and does not spin freely at all. Don't remember if it spun well before I installed it. I'm pulling the turbo now for closer inspection...
Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Definitely looks like it's binding in the video at a certain point in the rotation. My housing looks different, but I know there were several casting changes over the years. I don't recall if the bolt at the outlet was shaved for balancing (could be typical though). I haven't checked the free spin on mine since I installed, but when new (out of the box and not oiled) it would turn 3or 4 additional revolutions before stopping.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
surfpangea

Garage
turbo

Did you fill the turbo with oil before starting
77 930 stock 3.0 gsf header ,borla exhaust,gt30 BB turbo, V-band, full bay IC,WMI, 46 mm Adjustable waste-gate,Zeitronix wideband, Intergrated Car pc, Winlog interface Beta
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Matthews View Post
Did you fill the turbo with oil before starting
always...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did it spin freely before the install?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

it looked to be spinning quite well at idle, can you get somebody to rev it up while your filming? I would think if there was binding it would be sitting still at idle
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

looks like it's hanging up a little might be out of balance or bent shaft. that would cause it to vibrate pretty bad when it spins up. mine spins about that speed at lidle but it spind evenly not hesitation like in the video
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What is the fluid it is spitting out? Water or oil?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Rocket930, you get the prize! well sort of... I'm into you for a couple beers at the very least. After virtually giving in to total defeat I pulled the turbo again and found nothing less than a very small flat piece of the rubber connecting hose hung up on the intake side of the turbo. I couldn't even see it until I had the unit in my hands. I'll be damned. Got it running, replaced bad fuel pump fuse and it's off to te races! Finally! Haven't got on it as I have it a little rich and a little retarded as the air/fuel is unchecked but early impression is it makes some good power Now gotta find the gremlin in the lm1, powers up and blinks out but only reads 0.0... Anyone know a good dyno shop within a couple hundred miles of western NY/Toronto??? Thanks guys for all the help!!!!
Tom
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Please let us know what your impressions of the turbo are once you are happy with the tune.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Will do. Kevin@ultimate still has my K27 HyFlow for rebuild... I'll likely do a little back to back to see how they compare My initial trying to not put my foot into it impression is that this one has pretty good pull although the newly installed ported heads/injector blocks/intake combination may have a little to do with that.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: