Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
How much is too much??

No this isn't a horsepower thread! We all know the answer to that question...

The question is: How much oil on your garage floor is too much? I have never owned an air cooled car before the 930, and never had any oil on the floor, so when I back out of the garage or peer under the rig, and see 6-8 drops on the floor after each drive, mainly centered under the passenger side heater box it kind of makes me cringe.

In talking to some techs all seem to say that "old Porsche's don't leak... they mark their spots." They have also said that I should wait until something catastrophic happens before I pay the price to have the motor pulled and re-sealed.

What are your thoughts? Motor is running strong, and happy. Do I keep adding oil per the techs recommendation and keep wiping the garage floor? Or bite the bullet and pull it and experience the "while you are in there" syndrome?

India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sean,

I'd start by crawling under the car and inspecting for signs of leaking. Look at the normal culprets drain plug & sump plate (if you have them) valve cover seals, chain covers, tensioner lines, oil lines, and oil return tube seals. 6-8 drops is not a leak 1/2 a quart is a leak.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Boost sweat

We call it boost sweat! My turbo buick leaks more than the porsche and its a brand new motor!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Mine only leaks if it's been sitting for a long time. Seems it leaks at the valve cover gaskets and the studs/nuts for the valve cover. Even then, it's only a few drops.

I wouldn't worry about the leaks until it gets too bad.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if it fails the tech inspection and they will not let you on the track due to leaking oil then it's too much. Or if the guy behind you at the track has to pit to clean your oil off his windshield then you need to fix it . happened to me at sebring when my rings went south he was pretty pissed brand new cayman with a nice fresh coat of oil.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L

Last edited by Ken911; 11-08-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
LOL! Well I don't think I am dropping a 1/2 qt, in danger of failing a tech inspection, or coating the cars behind me in dinosaur juice, so I guess I'm alright for the time being! Thanks for your humor and your replies! I will get her in the air again and see if there is anythin glaringly wrong.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Use some engine cleaner and pressure
wash it off at the car wash. Then look for the oil leaks, as it will be much easier to find.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'd take a quick look at the rocker shafts for correct centering and torque. They start with a drip when there loose but can get much worse if they continue to slip from the center position.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite75 View Post
I'd take a quick look at the rocker shafts for correct centering and torque. They start with a drip when there loose but can get much worse if they continue to slip from the center position.
+1 on that i replaced all mine when i rebuilt it and got a good deal on e bay with some new rocker shafts they were unsdersized and wouldnt stay tight. so I had to replace them all.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
+1 on that i replaced all mine when i rebuilt it and got a good deal on e bay with some new rocker shafts they were unsdersized and wouldnt stay tight. so I had to replace them all.
I must have bought the same Ebay rockers shafts, they were under sized also.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
DPHANS

Hi.
I use a mineral oil, MAXIMA Classic 50w . Its a straight 50W oil, Its made for air cooled engines. Like Ducati and more.
-Extremely high-performance oil designed with the latest technology additives-

If I use a syntetic oil, I will have more the 6-8 drop on the floor.
Ps. Maxima is made in US.

Thanks
DPHANS
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

As a WUR and Fuel Distributor rebuilder, posts like this are what caused me to have to buy a cnc lathe to remake the parts you destroy in doing this because you found 1 out of 4 adjustment points on this WUR. Contact me and tell me what you are trying to do and I can give you some help, this is not the solution to warm control pressure problems.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I too am a new owner of a 930 and I like you am not used to seeing any oil on the floor. I found some hoses that were leaking and replace the stuff that i Could see but I finally took it to a guy that knows air-cooled engines and older engines as well. he found that I was losing a good amount of oil from my chain tesioner cover plates, as the gaskets were old and leaking. he then found some manifold leaks and you know how that story goes(while we are in here lets do this and that and this and that). I am expecting to get the car back this week and I am hoping that there are little to no leaks.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yeah, I also bought some of those inexpensive (compared to new origonal ones) aftermarket rocker arm shafts off ebay a few years ago. When I found they were undersized I called the place I bought them from and they took them back and gave me a full refund no problem. I just had to pay shipping both ways.

Then I bought new origonal ones and what a difference in quality, machining, and the polished finish... no comparison at all.
Those cheap aftermarket ones can also crack at the groove where they expand if and when you tighten the crap out of them trying to expand them to lock them in place.

Those aftermarket rocker shafts are no good. They are around .0001" undersize in diameter so they don't lock into the holes for them in the cam tower and they will leak oil.

Use origonal porsche rocker shafts and rocker arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhg1337 View Post
I must have bought the same Ebay rockers shafts, they were under sized also.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The seller refunded mine also. Did not leave a negative comment. It may have made the refund difficult. That .0001 is a big thing. Had my rockers at Dougherty camshafts, he noticed the difference right away. He repolished my old originals, which were bigger.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: