Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Oil Accumulator ?

Have a quick ? for the Doctor`s. I was told that I need a bigger oil accumulator because I get some smoke at startup but not all the time. What do u guy`s think? If I do need a bigger one where can I get it????Thanks in advance.....

Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

This is what I used when I swapped my stock air box for a BMC. I've since re-installed the stock box and will sell it with the bracket I made for $40 plus shipping.

EDIT: The blue is just bent back out the way and has nothing to do with it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-85465/

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-09-2010 at 06:10 AM..
Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I may have the wrong name but what I `m talking about is the can that is down buy the turbo.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Tug68:

You are probably talking about what is often referred to as the "drip tank." How much smoke is coming out of the exhaust? It is fairly common for these cars to give a puff or two of smoke upon startup and light smoke for a short while after. If this sounds like what you are seeing on your car, changing the drip tank probably won't make a difference.

On the other hand, if your car is smoking a considerable amount, only at startup or while cold, there could be other things going on. If the idle speed is very low when it is smoking (some of these cars idle very low when cold depending on WUR tuning), the issue may be that your turbo oil scavenge pump isn't being turned by the cams fast enough to evacuate the oil. The car needs to idle at 750RPM or higher to properly evacuate the oil.

An issue that would cause the car to smoke heavily upon startup and then clear up after running a short while would be if the BB was removed from the oil check valve. If this BB is removed, oil will continue to flow through the turbo and into the drip tank after the car is turned off, and as there would be no oil scavenging taking place at that point, the oil would settle in the drip tank and back up into the turbo, resulting in the vehicle smoking upon startup until all of the leftover oil has been scavenged out.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Yes it is the "drip tank" and I don`t get smoke all the time.I usualy notice it if I don`t let it idle enough after stoping and turning the car off.Would that cause smoke on start up? thanks Hoyabear
Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
That could be a cause of your problem. I'd just make a habit of letting it idle for a minute before killing the engine and see if that solves the problem.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Will do, thanks...

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: