Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help with 3.3 install

I am looking to put a 1986 3.3 turbo into my 74 911. I believe I can use the fuel pump and engine tin etc. but don't know for sure. Any links to some that has done this or advice on what I will need to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I have not done this myself, but I do know there are differances that need to be addressed.

You will need 2 fuel pumps like the stock 930 has to make it run correctly.

Are you using the 930 4spd. tranny or the tranny from your '74? Turbo 4 spd's use a different front tranny mount & different clutch assembly. However, others have mated a 915 tranny to a turbo, so I know it can be done. Although I do not know the particulars

If you go with the 930 4spd. you will need a different shifter too.

I'm sure the list goes on & on....

Mark
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I know there will be a list of things to do for sure. As far as the trans is concerned I am sure my 74 transmission will not be put up with the torque so I will be looking for something to replace it rather than just breaking it. I have not decided 930 or 915 yet but I will be looking for something. I am sure there is advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

yes, you need the different fuel pump. You will also need the 6-pin CDI and wiring harness from the later engine. The rest is just rewiring the pin locations at the 14-pin connector. Mate the two harnesses using a wiring diagram from the 74 chassis and the 86 engine.

The engine tin is different for your 74 and the 930. You have to have access for the turbo air inlet and the pressure side going to the intercooler.

The 915 will work. Just make sure to use the 9-bolt flywheel and clutch package for the 915. You are correct, your 74 914 has a 7:31 ring and pinion. It will not hold up under the torque curve of a 930 motor for very long. A late model 915 can work with cooling, reinforcements and smooth driving. 930 is strong. a 5sp G50 would be nice.

Now the biggest limitation will be the amount of rubber in the rear if your car is still stock. Narrow rear quarters do not exactly fit steamroller tires.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mke SURE all the wiring harnesses that the turbo engine originally had comes with the engine.

Your also going to need the rear fuel pump, CDI box, computer that goes under the passenger seat, and the enrichment relay and overboost relay.

My conversion(after I bought the motor) cost me $15,000 to have it done PROPERLY.

The rear shelf aso has to be pounded upwards to make the air-box fit from the 930 engine...your car will also have to be lowered all the way around, since that 930 engine is significantly heavier than the 74 engine.

Just to let you know...this conversion is a LOT more expensive and complex than meets the eye.

Oh, yeah...the tranny in this conversion is another consideration in cost, time, conversion.

IF I had the chance to do this over, I would have sold the shell of my SC, and simply bought a properly sorted un-bastardized 930.

Last edited by Tilikum Turbo; 11-09-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My ''77 has a 1978 930/60 fitted.

I see no signs of the rear shelf being modified. I no longer run the stock airbox - but it used to fit back there, although it was pretty tight.

I had the single, stock '77 fuel pump with the stock(-ish) 930, AFR's were fine.

Switched to a single 044 motorsport pump because I was suspicious about the 911S pump. The 044 made exactly the same amount of noise. With other mods, the car made 370HP at the rollers 3-4 weeks ago. AFR's aren't great over 5,000 - I actually don't think that's the pump.

Your 1974 915 isn't great for the application - but you will like 5-speeds. A Lot. Trust me, a "real" (non-factory) 40/65 LSD that breaks @ 79ft/lbs is money well spent - you will thank yourself every single time you lift off...

G50 is probably the way to go if you ever want more than stock power, otherwise a later model, beefed-up 915 can cut it, with care. Sachs Sport Clutch is holding up well, so far (been through several clutches). I think the Sachs 915 Power Clutch is marginal with a stock 930, personally.

255/40/17 rears work fairly well for me, but you'll need SC flares for that.

Brakes. I recently ditched 3.2 brakes/rotors in favor of 996 N/A (which are very nice). 3.2 brakes were not confidence-inspiring in any way, really. And 3.2 brakes are a lot better than what was originally fitted to mid-year cars.

Suspension. I have 21/30 torsion bars. The rear was nowhere near stiff enough with a stock 930 motor - was considering fitting 100-150 # "helper" coilovers to reduce squat (when the cowl is getting in your line of sight, it's an issue).

With a more progressive turbo like a K27/HF, it's much, much better.

I would advise new transmission mounts. Preferably stiffer ones. I used WEVO semi-solids. It's a lot cheaper than a money shift.

On the topic of which, replace the factory rod bolts with aftermarket. ARP work.

If I were to do this over, I'd would start with a 964 or 993 motor and turbo that, although I'd still run it in a non-widebody car. Someone has to redress the karmic damage caused by all those "turbo" and "RSR" clones with SC motors...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
OK now I am thinking this is not so smart but I have already committed to the engine and my poor car has been without any engine for over 5 years. I have to start down the road someday. I really do want to keep the narrow body and ducktail. I forgot about the weight issue of the engine. It is important to have a good handling car when the engine is in so that will also take some work. All advice is welcome; it gets me thinking about all that will have to be done.

Thanks Neil

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: