Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Which car to hide my turbo

I'm building the engine. Now looking for a good car, running or not to place it into. Any preferences? Keep in mind that emissions is a factor but the sheet is white. I'll do what I have to do to comply if I find a good car. I'm thinking before 77 as my engine is the 76 3.0. But I'm open. I'm going to run meth instead of installing an intercooler to start. No need to alert the authorities. Ideas, pointers, anyone want to unload a good roller? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Nothing? How cool would a long hood turbo be?
Mostly I'm curious about the emission testing and state inspection problems that might surround a later car.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Nothing? How cool would a long hood turbo be?
Mostly I'm curious about the emission testing and state inspection problems that might surround a later car.
I almost went with a Audi 2.7T Mid engine 930, but I came across a good deal on a built engine.

As for emissions, I know up here in NH, if the car is over 25 years old, there is no emission testing if you register it as an antique and there is also Hot Rod registration with very limited inspection requirements, but you are limited for usage of the vehicle..
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Pick the lightest roller you can get for that motor and big tank in the trunk for the meth for good weight distribution.

Sorry OT

IMR: Swap that 930 engine of your for rs4 engine I have as spare : )

I had 550 chp on it when I took it of my car for a fresh one.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Pick the lightest roller you can get for that motor and big tank in the trunk for the meth for good weight distribution.

Sorry OT

IMR: Swap that 930 engine of your for rs4 engine I have as spare : )

I had 550 chp on it when I took it of my car for a fresh one.
I was so torn when deciding the direction of my build. I wanted to keep the chassis original and didn't want to cut anything up. Now I am leaning towards a G50 6 speed, so I will have to cut the torsion tube and sheet metal. I may decide to go with a big HP Audi engine with a built 2WD transaxle.

But I will lose the complete resale value..... then again, I can build a 500HP+ VR6 fairly cheap and those engines are a dime a dozen these days.

Quattro, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Are people installing audi and vr6 engines into 911's? I know the renagade route is common. I'm not terably intrested in audi into a 911 but sounds interesting.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Are people installing audi and vr6 engines into 911's? I know the renagade route is common. I'm not terably intrested in audi into a 911 but sounds interesting.
not to my knowledge. I just wanted to make a fast car, so I was going to take out the rear seat and sheet metal, fab up a cage and partial tube chassis and make a monster. But I found a real nice 3.4 EFI turbo engine for a fair price. So I am going a more "traditional" route.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
good fit

I THINK MY CAR WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Let me restate the question, would there be any cars that might not be easy to register and/or inspect with the turbo engine in it. Are the early cars easier to swap engines? I'm looking now and would like to know where to look.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
In CA, later year chassis, earlier year engine is not easy to register, and most likely you will have smog issues. 75 chassis or earlier = no smog, many other states its 25 years or older = no smog.

If you want the long hood look, it might be easier to backdate an impact bumper car rather than try to fit the later and larger engine and tranny in a pre 74 body.

I really like the 73 look, I considered doing it myself...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A 73RS look with a 3.0 turbo would be a fun, fun car.

Maybe not very stealth. A VW notch back or station wagon, that would be stealth.

Here is a 3.0T in a 73 long hood for inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocrosby View Post

Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

I just pulled the trigger on this one.http://forums.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/a_pukey.gif[/img][img] I got lots of work to do here, Now opinions on weather I should keep it albert blue. And what else should change?

71 911t straight and rusty
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
911st, that car is wonderful! I love it. This is very good inspiration.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

As a WUR and Fuel Distributor rebuilder, posts like this are what caused me to have to buy a cnc lathe to remake the parts you destroy in doing this because you found 1 out of 4 adjustment points on this WUR. Contact me and tell me what you are trying to do and I can give you some help, this is not the solution to warm control pressure problems.

Larry Fletcher
CIS Flow Tech Llc
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

quattrorunner looks like a good start. You deffinately have your work cut out for you. As for the color IMO all depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you really want to keep it as a sleeper do everything but the exterior. When someone looks at that exterior they would never expect a serious powerplant pushing it. Good luck on the build keep us posted with plenty of pics.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Thats true for sure, as well as lots of dirty looks from others.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That is an idea. Maybe a little air brushing of the top in the same color and it would be a killer rat rod for a while.

Unless you are going to take it all the way down to do a rotisserie style restore I would try to keep the stock color.

Fun, fun, fun!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I'm shopping for a rotissorrie as we speak. I'm not at all excited about it though. Is there any other way to fix the rust and get the car solid without taking it down all the way? The thought is making me sick to be honest.
I'm more mechanical, I hate body work but won't pay someone else to do my car. I don't really want a two year project, I'll give it one year but I would like have it done some day, preferably before the end of the world.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Maybe ratrod would be easier......I'll still want to repair the structure though. Augh! Here is what I would love to do:
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Good luck

You better have deep pockets if you want the one above (in Orange). That car has a lot of $$ wrapped up into it.

Best of luck on the project.

Bryan

Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: