Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
My 930 idling at 2,000 RPM?!?!?

Tonight when I drove my car home, I got on the freeway (like a bat out of hell), then when I got off the freeway and stopped at the light, my car was idling at 2,000 RPM. Then driving up the street, I gave it a second gear run and when I let off the gas pedal, it surged. Any Idea???? Could it be the decel valve stuck open or ......?

"You don't have to be CRAZY to own a sports car, but it helps"

Last edited by 1SIK930; 11-12-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Sounds like you popped a hose or the AAR/AAV stuck open. Was the car warmed up when you boosted it? What was the ambient air temp?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Had the same problem a couple weeks ago.

It turn out to be mechanical. The gas pedal came off the throttle rod.

See if you can bring down the rev by moving the throttle at the engine.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Change your IIRC rear fuel pump relay in the trunk. It also does the cold idle circulation so you're running a bit lean too.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I vote for intake air leak somewhere as already mentioned. Y'all popped a hose most likely. You might even be able to hear the air drawing in if you stick your head back in the engine. I would start around the AAR...pinch the hose after it to see if it drops the rpms.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Sounds like the AAR valve. Mine did the same thing when it stopped closing completely. Try taking off the hose to it from the intercooler and seeing if the slide is closed after its warmed up and running for awhile. Alos see if oil has collected inside the AAR housing and also in the electrical connector on the housing. My connector was oil soaked and failing to make good contact so it never heated the internal element inside to close off the valve.
You can run without this gear installed if you give up trying to fix it or dont want to spend the outrageous fee for a new one.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, full bay intercooler, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.95 bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I must have nudged the electrical connector on the AAR valve while re-seating vacuum hoses. The connector made contact for the next 10 miles or so - then it didn't. Instant 1800 RPM idle. Found the connector loose, plugged it back in - done.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
This car is new to me. I just found out by looking at the pics in this forum what my WUR looked like. Where is the AAR? I have an Andial I/C, and on the right side of it there is only one hose coming off. Can anyone post a pic of the AAR and AAV?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

It's connected via a 1/2" ID hose on the right side of the IC. The other end goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body and allows a small amount of air to enter when the engine is cold. Here's a picture that I snagged off the net:

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Aar stuck open
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Is that roughly the rpm the car idles at right after you start it?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Well, the AAR is stuck open. I took the hose off the I/C and plugged the hose and the nipple off the I/C with my fingers and the idle dropped back to normal. So for now, I've got a plug on the I/C nipple and a cork in the end of the hose, until I can get another AAR valve next week. It seems to drive just fine without it. It shouldn't hurt anything, right? What is the function of the AAR valve anyway?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SIK930 View Post
Well, the AAR is stuck open. I took the hose off the I/C and plugged the hose and the nipple off the I/C with my fingers and the idle dropped back to normal. So for now, I've got a plug on the I/C nipple and a cork in the end of the hose, until I can get another AAR valve next week. It seems to drive just fine without it. It shouldn't hurt anything, right? What is the function of the AAR valve anyway?
I think you've already answerd this question. It's to increase idle speed for a cold engine by allowing some unmetered air to enter the intake.

You should be able to reach inside the AAR with a screwdriver and move (rotate)the disc inside. It will be under spring tension. If you can get it to move at all, then it's not stuck. Three possibilities for failure: the internal bi-metalic spring is broken (that spring heats up and slowly closes the AAR as it warms up) or the internal heating element is shot....or you've lost power to the heating element. Before you plunk down big bucks for a new AAR, take yours and put it in a warm oven (150 degrees or so) to see if the window/disc inside closes. Or, apply 12V from an isolated source (a spare battery) and see if it closes in that fashion. Engine heat is not enough to get that thing to close off...it must have power to it at all times and the heating element must be working or it will open back up and cause the high idle.

Or, just live without it as many have done. You'll have to keep your foot on the gas for the first 1/2 minute or so on a cold start to keep the rpms up is all.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Just take it out and plug everything like you have done.
you really dont need it unless the weather is extremely cold. I dont think its worth the crazy $$ for a new unit. I lived in Michigan and drove fine without it into November when I put it away for the winter.

Just my opinion.
Plus it cleans up the compartment a little.

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, full bay intercooler, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.95 bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: