Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

I think a south Georgia birdpalooza one weekend would be awesome before it flies west

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

I like it!!!!!!!!!

Set the place and time (Saturday????)... we'll be there.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Bloody AWESOME.......
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Unbelievable! That is SCHWEEEEEET! One day I would love to see it in person...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Impressions from a turn at the wheel of Blackbird

First, let me say that while i have not put the blood, sweat and tears into the Blackbird that Gabe has, i have been there along the way to provide what guidance and support i could when things got trying for GAbe, to say the least. However, no one could be happier than me (except Gabe of course) now that 'Blackie' is finally turning a wheel on the street and the clouds of gloom and doubt of the past month have now disappeared and the sun is shining on 'Herren Blackbird' and her master. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to take a turn behind the wheel this afternoon while visiting Speedwerks and here are my impressions:

At this stage of the game, i have to say that it takes a pretty interesting ride to get me going, and this is one of them. Even after having been around her for so long, you still walk around in admiring reverence at the amazing, muscular lines created by the Kremer Brothers and how they blend so well into the underlying 930. The car is simply stunning in her 'Scotchbrite-Satin (Satan?)' (Gabe, i think you have created a new color, LOL) and red, gothic script; intimidating, sinister, and amazing beautiful.

Getting in, everyone here would immediately be at home; no non-sense gauges ahead, great seat position of the Peter Gregg lollipop, cool as $hit overhead toggle to kill, fuel pump, push starter panel. But i was even more so, because like my 914/6 project car, there is simply no rear firewall to separate you from pure Porsche Nirvana. Like Prego, the Tranny, CVs, oil lines, 3.8 liters of twin turbo flat-6 fury that could scarcely have been contemplated by the good Dr. P in his wildest dreams/nightmare, and... the road... it's all back there for you to take in and contemplate before lighting what could potentially be your last fuse.

You strap into the Schroth 5 point, cinch it down, and then reach over for what is the coolest thing ever in a street Porsche and something that took me back to my flying days, an aviation headset.

I clicked the toggles one by one, and the fuel pumps spooled up and i pushed the starter. The pure Porsche cacophany of idling cams chains and rockers mere feet away was muted by the headset, so i lifted them off my ears to take in the din filling the cabin and smiled. This was going to rock.

The sound of the modified GT2 cam is part fast-lumpy minimally basso at idle, and the Motec system was holding it nice and steady as the car had already been warm. The Hargett shifter was a little balky, and still needed some adjustment, but 1st engaged nicely.

With 6 ITB's being fed by two turbos, the throttle repsonse is crisp and instant. Even so, i stalled at first, then goosed her good and was over 50 on the backstreet beside speedwerks before i knew it.

What is amazing about the Motec is the lack of drama it gives the car puttering around til u get to the highway... no hesistation or bucking at all. At slow speeds, the suspension is firm but not kidney busting. I fell in love with the suspension on this car when i drove it in it's first form at the first Turbopalooza in summer 2009. Even without being cornerbalanced and aligned, it is PLANTED. I goes exactly where u want, is not skittish in the least and no roll, and doesnt bust ur kidneys in the process. Damn, this is the way every 930 should handle.

Even tho the highway was only about 300 yards from the shop, i couldnt wait to get there. When i did... F-me. Even at part tune, THIS THING IS BEYOND NUTZ. While the low end punch is slightly less at the moment than when it was a single plenum, the car really starts to come alive at what felt like 3500 (the tach was not working, and neither was the boost gauge, so i stayed out of her more than i would have liked) and really start to pull HARD past 4000. Damn, this thing is going to make the starship Enterprise look sluggish when she is fully tuned. Torque comes on everywhere, but again, i couldnt really push her on a strip of i-85where cops are everywhere. The feel above 4k is very similar to my 934, except that the crecendoing tsunami of torque in my car is replaced by instant mountain of torque from two quick-spool turbos.

The mechanical symphony that accompanies all of this is what make everyone here love these cars... and in Gabe's car it is taken to the nth degree. It transistions from high lumpy idle, to a crisp snarl at take off, to one long continuous rip of canvas as the revs and boost rise accompanied by the sucking of large amounts of air throught the flanking intakes, all pausing with the crash of the wastegates. Then it all starts over again at upshift. I could have done it all day, but...

I really couldnt explore the car this afternoon the way i wanted too. I have way too many points on my license, there was no working boost or tach gauge, and the Hargett shifter dislocated out of it's socket on a return leg down the highway and i had to nurse her back to Speedwerks in second.

Even so, it is not hyperbole to say that this car, in it's raw, primal and early tuned form is nothing short of the mindblowing. This is a car that will take a lifetime to learn to drive to it's fullest, and will never cease to entertain and put a smile on the face of it's driver.

Gabe, u done good big guy, congrats!!! You've earned it!!!

Stay tuned fellas for LOTS more upcoming entertainment!!

Post drive perma-grin

One VERY happy dude...
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com

Last edited by juicersr; 11-18-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video V ideo Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video Video

Did I mention, video!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Hang in there dudez, i was planning on getting some in-car video on today's run, but for some reason i left the battery to my camera in the charger at home.

Regardless, i think Gabe should have the honor of posting the first vids of his ride.

We are planning some serious shakedown of Blackie in my neck of the woods in the next two weeks, including some DYNO time, so stay tuned for LOTS of great upcoming video!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
....the looks from normal people when i'm on the road is hilarious....
This made me laugh.

If I get to see this car I'll be jumping up and down, and maybe run arond and squirt in the corners like a dog.

I get a smile on my face by just driving mine to work every day. Wonder what this'll do to you

This adds a whole new dimnesion to "All inn" - Wow.

Jesper
Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice writeup of the Blackbird Justin! Wearing the headset looks proper driving that weapon. Good to hear that it's "civilized" when taking it easy.

Yeah, Gabe has every reason to be one happy dude!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
just crazy man, wow
Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Nice job on the video, can't wait to see Blackbird in SoCal!

Last edited by 89turbocabmike; 11-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
What it must feel like, not just to own such a piece of machinery, but having created such a beast.
Awesome presentation.

Wow

- and the David Clarks are a nice touch

Jesper

Last edited by jsveb; 11-28-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Awesome!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
nice video!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cool! ...more videos please!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Funfgruppen Productions begins...

>>>EPIC<<<

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Two Thumbs up!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

video

amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzing. great job. keep the vids coming. love it.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Sick!

'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: