Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wayah Road Warrior

Glad the Shadetree fix worked for you. It's one way to solve a real failure point on these cars.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngypsy View Post
I am not a mechanic at all, and this is my first time ive ever done work like this except tune ups
I think you're more Mechanic than you give yourself credit for!

Nice job!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Nice to hear, this was a must do if you like to drive the car often., also what I did was install a positive junction near the front battery so as to have only one large wire going to the positive side of the battery instead of that jumble you probably have and I did. JMHO
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Banned

I wanted to revive this thread and give a shout-out to Shadetree (one of the "other" Pauls ).

I've wanted to do this for years, but had not since the car has never blown (different than Paul K.) a fuel pump fuse in the last 7 years or so, but the absurdity of running two pumps/pump relays though that single, 25a fuse has always bothered me (especially when motoring down the highways around here at 80mph in very heavy traffic ).

The final motivator was Ken's (gsxrken) recent electrical ****-slap. I had already done the headlight relay addition, fused the a/c blower fan motor and the nose condenser fan motor, so all that was left that I can think of right now is the fuel pump circuit and the dash lights (that's next).

Shadetree's tutorial was remarkably easy to understand and follow - I paid close attention, took my time, and had no problems. The only "change" I made was I opted to place the fuse holders near the positive battery terminal and run the new hot wires along the back of the fuse panel and out of it with the other wiring. No reason for this other than simple, personal preference. I left some extra wire length on the battery side to make it easy to make changes in the future if I want to.

I also added a piece of rubber sheet behind the fuse panel - can't believe that Porsche did not do something similar to protect against possible wire chafing against the inner fender.

Another tip (no, not THAT tip) - I like fuse panels to be lightly insulated from vibration, so I used rubber washers between the plastic spacers for the fuse panel mount (4) and the inner fender. I also glued (contact cement) the rubber washers to the inner fender and glued the spacers to the washers - no fumble thumbing them that way.

1st pic is after I had re-bundled and re-taped everything. I suck at wrapping wiring with tape, so am glad those can't be seen (doesn't look much worse than the factory, job, however ).

So again, a huge thank you to Shadetree for taking the time to write these pic filled instructions - most excellent mod that I am very happy with!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 07-21-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Banned

Question about the now unused fuel pump fuse (#6) - the top portion of the fuse holder is still hot, but I would like to leave the fuse out so as to have one less "possible fire" area , so does the single wire attached to the bottom of the #6 fuse holder go only to the fuel pump relays and is now useless, so no need for a fuse?

Or is it a better idea to put a fuse back in there?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Question about the now unused fuel pump fuse (#6) - the top portion of the fuse holder is still hot, but I would like to leave the fuse out so as to have one less "possible fire" area , so does the single wire attached to the bottom of the #6 fuse holder go only to the fuel pump relays and is now useless, so no need for a fuse?

Or is it a better idea to put a fuse back in there?
Useless. Leave it empty.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Banned

^^^

Thanks, and will do.

I've test run the car and everything is perfect - feels great to have this taken care of.

I forgot to mention that I dumbly bundled the wires back up without labeling which went to which relay socket, but used a multi-meter to check for continuity between pin terminals 30 and the battery wire ends and was able to easily figure it out.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

This mod adds 10 horsepower to the car.

It's true! You read it on the intarwebz.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
This mod adds 10 horsepower to the car.
Mine was good for at least a 50 hp bump (rear wheel hp, too), butt I used pooptonium wire and ureaneus wire ends, so there you have it!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 07-21-2015 at 08:41 PM..
Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

i did this but used a spare fuse on the panel. it was from my fog lights. that way it looks factory and you dont have all those ugly fuse holders and wires.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Banned

I guess it's a good thing that I don't consider neatly organized, routed, and placed wiring and simple fuse holders to be ugly, or give two ****s about the factory appearance of the fuse panel and wiring (an exercise in design and manufacturing incompetence, to begin with) . . .
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

My turn. This past weekend I split my fuel pumps into 2 circuits. I did do things a bit differently however.

My '87 is A/C delete. Due to this I was able to use the bottom of the #2 fuse to feed my front fuel pump. My rear pump continues to be powered by the bottom of the #6 fuse (stock location).

I simply cut the jumper between red relays close to the #2 relay socket (rear pump and CIS warm up devices). Then connected that cut wire (the longer portion connected to relay socket #1 with fewer wires) to the bottom of the #2 fuse since I deleted A/C on my car.

Nice and simple.

Before doing this mod my red relays and fuse were HOT to touch after a 20 minute drive. Now the relays and fuses are simply warm to touch.

A very worthwhile mod for all 930s. Thanks for the help Pelicans!

Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Registered

Shadetree, Why the 25 amp fuse for pump #2 and 15 amp for pump #1? Just completed the fuse remodel and thanks for the detailed procedure.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bringing this thread back up since we are hitting the cooler season and some of us have time to perform some of these necessary wiring mods. I am planning to go the route described in this thread, but also recall seeing someone has replaced these terrible round relays with modern square relays...can anyone find that thread? I have searched but not found it yet.

I figured it might be great to split the pump circuit and also upgrade the actual relays to modern reliable types. I am tired of having to replace and purchase more of the black and red relays (carry spares in a tupperware in the trunk).

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like Flightlead404 may be working on a relay upgrade capability:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26/2018_10_31_13_46_061541008646.jpg

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 11-11-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Thanks for this.

Engine died this morning on the way home from C&C. Pulled off, blade fuse for fuel pumps toasted. Only 2 miles from home so jury rigged something. Gonna split the relays and run from battery with 8 gauge wires and seperate blade fuses.
73 TR6
Old 03-16-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
I'm having a tough time getting my car to restart after some time in storage. I've drained out all the old fuel, changed the fuel filter, installed new injectors and flushed the lines out - so I know it pumps fuel when you manually depress the metering plate.

Here's a video of me trying to start it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ27bLlfhHI

I think you can hear both fuel pumps turn on in this video, but the battery was getting low at this point as we'd been trying to get the car started for a while. We did check and saw spark coming from the coil going to the distributor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq4t7DStuLw), but I haven't had a chance to check spark at the plug yet. After doing some research and finding this thread, I took a look at the fuse panel and observed that the fuel pump fuse (6th in from left) looked a little distorted:

Would it make sense that I may be experiencing an electrical supply problem here?

I'm going to check for disconnected, loose or broken wires, change the fuel pump fuse and see if the car will start today with a fully-charged battery.

'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: