Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
930 suspension mistakes

I bet this board has folks that have messed up when upgrading their 930.

If those stories were shared we could learn a lot about what not to do.

Anyone have some poor suspension setup/parts/etc experiences they'd like to share?

I have one to start: putting sport bilsteins on the front of an otherwise stock 911sc. Sports for the back felt ok, but in the front they didn't let the front suspension work. I think it ruined the balance of the car.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I put Elephant Polybronzes on the rear, but cheaper polygraphite bushings on the front. Frequent squeaking on the road bugs me a little, should've just spent the money on the polybronzes for the front too. If it were a track-only car, I wouldn't care, but it isn't.

Other than that, the Rebel coilover conversion was a great upgrade in handling.
missing my Tony//Kart 125cc shifterkart
Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thought I would save money running 86 Carrera 22/21 sway bars. Cost me $200 plus shipping plus for new bushings, plus and extra 3-4hrs at $110/hr for the shop to corner balance. I told them I wanted it set so whey they hooked the sways back up they would not have any preload.

For about the extra $700 I spent I could have put it toward a set of nice upgraded sway bars with adjustabel drop links.

Another common mistake in my opinion is paying for a coroner balance if the alignment has not been done or done at the same time.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
for starters shocks, especially struts, are not an "off the counter"item. you need the struts re-valved to what suspension you currently have, torsion bars, weight of the car, and let them know what kind of driving you will be mostly doing, track events or primarily street. for the meager price of about 40.00-50.00 per corner it makes a world of differance
Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

The mistake I made was to get a really good lowering/balancing and alignment, and THEN I took a bunch of weight off the car...

So plan all your mods first and then when it is all done, get the alignment and lowering done last.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: