Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
993 Turbo Sleeper Project (My new 930)

Gabe's beast will be a tough act to follow. My car is the opposite, to say the least!

Last spring I sold my 930 because I bought this 993 Cab. I had been wanting a newer chassis and I liked the bottom and mid torque produced by the 3.6 motor which I experienced in my friends 911 with a 3.6 transplant.

My plan for this 993 only involves a two aspects of the car, a weight diet and adding HP. The diet included removing all un-needed and heavy accessories, power top, A/C, ABS, cruise, power seats, rear seats, lower dash, power spoiler, etc etc. Looks like a 4WD now, I need lowering springs!

I read about the supercharged and turbo 993s and 964s prepared by TPC and I’m impressed that they can run 8 psi on 94 pump gas given that these motors are 11.3:1. This results in 450 at the crank, which according to one of the rebuilders is also the limit for the 993 transaxle.

I’m not planning on going inside the motor so the compression ratio will remain stock but I’m skeptical about the longevity of turbo’ing at 11.3:1 even though TPC seems to make it work. So, my plan is to build in a decent safety margin by installing a piggyback fuel circuit with race gas.

In order to have full control of fueling and timing I removed the Motronic and installed stand-alone SDS similar to the conversion I did on my 930. The first task was to make the motor run clean in it’s NA format which I did over the summer, then in the fall I started the turbo system which I just completed, except for final clean up of wiring and misc hoses.

During the winter I’ll build the intercooler which will hide under the stock deck lid, then build the secondary fuel circuit which will be controlled with an SDS extra injector controller. Though it doesn’t look like much, it was a chore just to build the turbo system. Here are some pics.

Before shot of the engine bay, and after completion of the turbo system

I started this summer stripping the engine bay and installing the EFI. Here are the processor, coil driver, wideband O2, and factory remote door lock module. I retained the factory wire harness and connectors. The O2 module feeds into the SDS so it does not need to be on the dash - in case anyone was wondering.

Aside from connecting throttle position sensor, air temp sensor, head temp etc I had to make a crank position sensor trigger wheel.

Indexing the trigger magnets:

I converted a 930 pulley to replace the heavy factory three groove 993 pulley. Unfortionately the 993 crank looks similar to a 930 crank but I discovered that it extends about a half an inch farther out, and it has the dowel pin 180 degrees out, as well as at a different redius! Not simple!

The completed trigger wheel, pulley, and crank position sensor mount

Pulley and crank position sensor mounted

Last edited by Jim2; 11-16-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Continued...

Since the offset of the 930 crank pulley did not match the 993 fan I had to custom make an adaptor which looks similar to unit manufactured for single pulley conversions. I used the factory alternator pulley halves which results in a slight overdrive of the fan versus the factory ratio. This will provide a little added cooling considering the turbo application.

Here is the factory location for the 993 knock senders, but I had to change from three wire, to two wire units which are compatible with the SDS computer.

Here is the turbo. It’s a split vane Turbonetics ball bearing unit. Size is equivalent to something between a GT37 and GT40.

Here is the turbo support. The turbo won’t stress the headers since it mounts to this bracket.

I’ve located the turbo as high as possible because I’m trying to go with a gravity oil drain. Not sure if it will work, but if need be I’ll resort to a scavenge pump.

This is the start of the turbo system. I’m sticking with stock 993 heat exchangers but converted the outlet flanges because I needed to change the angle they were pointing.

Here is the portion of header connecting the left and right heat exchangers. It maintains separate runners right into the split vane exhaust housing, and has separate take-offs for the wastegate from each runner.

Last edited by Jim2; 11-16-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Continued...

Next I gutted the 993 right muffler to create the new one. I studdied what was going on inside the stock 993 and 930 mufflers and came up with this thing. Diffuser is on the inlet, venturi on the outlet and baffle between. The small port is the wastegate inlet. I cut up the left side muffler and used it to extend the right unit, filling it with the factory baffle material.

This is the complete exhaust side of the turbo system.

Had to modify the rear sheet metal

Created a special fitting to drain the turbo back into the sump. The smaller plug is now my new oil change drain. The larger end interface to the oil drain from the turbo, sealed with an O-ring, all rigid so there are no hose connections under the car.

The oil feed comes from the same location as a 930, and I managed to find a factory check ball fitting from a 930. Instead of adapting a banjo it was easier to use the idiot light port since the 993s idiot light is located off to the right.

This is the temporary charge pipe I’ll use until I get the intercooler done - some scabby bad elbow from the garage shelves. Not pictured but the air filter is copied ala Christine, and eventually I’ll find some low profile element besides the funky yellow thing which is on it right now.

Here is the completed turbo system. The wastegate is a little dfferent from conventional units, but it’s simply a butterfly format which I got from a race car.

I'm ready to drive it now after working on it until 1:00 AM last night, but it snowed about 4 inches overnight! Hahahaha, my luck. Whity comments from Souhterners not needed, I already know what you're thinking.

Last edited by Jim2; 11-16-2010 at 08:51 AM..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Damn Jim that's incredible!
I don't see much inside the box on this one.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Very cool! Are you a machinist? I was going too use SDS on my Turbo BMW, but ended up going a different route.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just love the work of a master crafter such as you. If I only had a lathe and a mill to replace my hacksaw and drill press....
Excellent work, keep us posted on the outcome!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Great work brother! Together we're the yin and yang - keep us posted! Love the quality of workmanship.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Very very cool!
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

wow
Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great write up and craftsmanship. I'm jealous of your ability and tools!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

You know what I like about this build??? You did the work yourself...AWESOME!!! As Brian stated... thinking outside of the box...very cool!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Outstanding work! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Is the waste gate fed from the passenger side exhaust manifold only? Fab work looks sweet. Can those knock sensor bars be used on a 930? what are their part numbers?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Damn Jim that's incredible!
I don't see much inside the box on this one.
I agree it may not be as radical as Gabes car but the innovation required is through the roof good job and looking forward to more progress. What power are you expecting?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Jim, amazing work. I can't wait to see this car out on the street or on the track myself. Definitely keep us posted and keep up with great work.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Very nice work. I like that you think outside the box.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Oh, great thanks Jim - I really needed to feel like Less Of A Man today sure I did. Today, I like... wrote a few memos or something and stuff, or like, things. I think.

D'oh.

Impressive.

And soso well executed. Good taste/vision!

Sub'd!

Keep up the good werk.

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, thanks for all the comments guys.

jyl: no, I'm not really a machinist but I am a hard core hobbyist.

fletcher: there are two feeds to the wastegate, one from each bank, difficult to see in the pictures...

Glen: HP wise I'm limited by gearbox strength, so 450. Due to the high CR detonation prevention may well be my limiting factor but playing off TPCs results along with my dual fuel plan I'm hoping to see mid 4s with reliability. Also hoping for about 2550 lbs similar to my 930. This combo will give me virtually identical power to weight as my 930.

Paul: Getting up the ambition to chip away at this thing was an absolute strugle. There were a number of 1 hour weeks which makes progress slooooow. My motivation is not what it used to be back when I built my 930. I often spend too much time over thinking and not enough time executing.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Jim, I like and respect the fact that you have the ability to build your own parts. I ride stunt bikes and although it is not related to the forum, I design and build a lot of parts that I use on my bikes and pass the parts on to fellow stunters.

I am looking forward to seeing your future posts.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Great work Jim. Keep us updated :-)

1986 944 Turbo
Old 11-17-2010, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: