Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE summer - Indian Wells, CA winter
Garage
Unhappy 88 930 smoking

My 88 930 with 60,000 miles has recently developed a case of smoking on start up. In the past, and on some occasions, after sitting for a week or so and when starting I would get a few puffs of white smoke. After 15 seconds or so it would stop. Now, however, it will smoke for two to three minutes and have a difficult time maintaining anything close to a smooth idle. If I don't give it gas, the engine will stumble and die. i assume from the color of the smoke it is caused by oil getting into the combustion chambers. Any idea on what might be causing the oil to seep into the engine?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Turbo

I have the same problem. Just ripped out the K27. The seal was leaking pushing oil into the intake. That would be the first place I would check.

Robert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
After the smoking stops and I drive the car, there does not seem to be any smoking at all. Wouldn't it keep smoking, either at idle or on boost,when driving the car if the seal on the turbo was bad? The one change that was made on the car in the past month was that a shop who did a valve adjustment and oil change replaced my Mobil 1with Kendal Super D3. Some comments have said that the D3 is fine but I'm planning on going back to the mobil 1.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You might take a look at the turbo drip tank circuit, it sounds like you may be getting too much oil to the turbo or oil running back to the turbo after shut off. There are good threads here on this. Check to see if there is a 9mm ball bearing inside the fitting under the oil pressure sender at the back of the motor, top side. This ball bearing acts like a check valve so when the engine is shut down oil won't continue to siphon into the turbo. Check the opening in the turbo through to the drip tank, the drip tank, and the line all the way back to the scavenge pump on the back of the drivers side cam box, there may be coking or an obstruction. You can also take the oil line from the scavenge pump off at the drip tank and put the end in a shallow pan of oil, start the engine and verify the scavenge pump is pulling properly. If the ball bearing is missing I just got some last week. Good place to start, as symptoms your seeing are the same as this issue smoking a little on start up and then getting progressively worse until the turbo seals fail.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have the exact same problem and I think Brian B has the answer. I also find that when the car starts and runs rough, I can turn the key off and the car will run on for a while. If you turn it off for a couple of seconds and then flick it back on it clears, the smoking stops and it runs as smooth as you like. Brian reckons and my Porsche mechanic agrees, that it is in the injector system - potentially a leaky injector that is not pressurising. My car has done 82000miles so as soon as I can afford it I will have the fuel side stripped down and done properly. I will be interested to see if your car has the same issue. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Leaky injector has nothing to do with white smoke so you have other issues too if you have white smoke. I found out my scavenge line was kinked and after fixin that no more smoke.

Some smoke is ok as the exhaust valve guides tend to leak a bit after sitting a while.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm no expert but this is the full explanation and it seems to me quite capable of putting out white smoke??
That points toward an injector issue. If you have a leaky injector it will not pressurize properly on a cold start and will have a dribble instead of spray pattern. When the engine stops the pressure drops quickly from 40+PSI to zero and the pintle may snap shut resulting in proper operation on restart. This is only because the entire system is pressurized. On cold starts the system has bled down to the lower holding pressure and the leaking injector is putting fuel in the cold cylider. A hot restart also allows this extra fuel to vaporize resulting in proper running on re-start. The injector will continue to drip however and the engine will run rough again once the spark plug is fouled.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Usually the colors go like this:
White is water or moisture in the exhaust
black is fueling too rich
blueish is oil.

I hope the fueling fix will get yours running good and smokeless
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Valves?

It might be the valves. I don't thinks so but if your exhaust valves are off you will lose compression which would cause your engine to stall. The smoke sounds like oil.

My car during regular and light boost would not smoke. But if I drive it hard on boost for a time frame, after I parked it and let it sit for a few hours or over night or let it sit for a week, it would smoke like hell for around 2 mins. Then it would clear out and drive fine. The seal in the turbo didn't blow completely. It was just letting oil get into my intake.

Take off your intercooler. Look at the pipe coming from the turbo and look inside your intercooler. There is always an oil residue in the intercooler but if there is a lot of oil, I would say that is where the problem is.

The other thing is your rings. If the rings are bad, it will also burn oil at start ups. Good luck.

Robert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I've got a lot to check. Funny (RichardE) should mention the run on after turning off the key. This has just started happening exactly as he describes with my car for the past two days. After turkey, i'll spend some time looking at your suggestions. thanks. The ring/valve issue might some into play too. A recent leak down/compression test showed the following

Cyl LD COMP
1 2% 75/105
6 1% 90/115
2 6% 80/105
4 4% 90/120
3 1% 100/120
5 0.5% 100/120

Have a turkey!!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
My guess is that if you are seeing white smoke on start up coupled with a low/erratic idle and the smoking then goes away once the car starts idling properly, my guess is that the car is idleing too low for the cam to spin the turbo scavenge pump quickly enough to evacuate all of the oil from the drip tank.

Try holding the idle up around 800-900RPM manually when you start up the car and see if the smoke goes away when you do that...
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

How do you feel about your compression readings?

Mine are all within 110 ~120 psi and no smoke, except after parked for days... - just a puff of blue.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: