Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Varmints

I hate all varmints. I rent a private garage to store the 930. Over this summer, some critter decided it was a cool place to use as a latrine. This was something larger than a mouse, mind you. It was leaving me 'gifts' all over the garage, but luckily it stayed away from the car itself. Thankfully the critter, whatever it was, has found a new place to do 'business'

The 1st time I pulled the alternator on the 930, I looked around under the shroud to see if there were any mouse nests that would block airflow. Everything was pretty clean except for a chunk of what looked like charcoal on top of cylinder 1 (or 4, at the front of the engine). I reached in, grabbed it, pulled it out to discover it was a crispy, desicated mouse...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Mice can squeeze into openings as small as a quarter. They can actually distort their skulls to fit through an opening. My guess the critter got into the interior through the heater valves.....

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
I've been at war with mice for about 10 years now. The barn where I keep my cars is in the country and only 30 feet away from the woods, so there is a constant flow of field mice into the barn. I've pretty much given up on keeping the mice out of the barn, and decided to pick a battle I have a chance of winning (keeping them out of the car).

I've heard a lot of people say that those electronic high-frequency noise-makers don't work, but since I've been using them (placed at the corners of the car facing outwards) I haven't had any mice in the car. I also put tape over the exhaust, and air intake, I cover the car, and I put glue traps along side all of the wheels. I also have like 5 poison-pellet boxes and numerous snap-traps located throughout the barn.

In an average year, I'll find 10-15 dead mice throughout the barn! I'm just glad they haven't been dying in the 930 (they used to love dying in a Vette I used to have...not fun). I've been looking at moving closer to Boston and, needless to say, whenever I look at a place, I check to see how mouse-proof the garage appears to be!
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post

I've heard a lot of people say that those electronic high-frequency noise-makers don't work, but since I've been using them (placed at the corners of the car facing
I too have been waging war for years up at the log cabin I built in the mountains. I built the cabin as tight as possible, given old world pioneer techniques, but still all it takes is a tiny opening...a piece of chinking missing, whatever....and the little buggers get in. I installed a couple years ago two of those high-frequency things, and they run 24 hours a day off of the solar power system - but to no avail. Cheapo wood spring traps and peanut butter keep things under moderate control. Poison is of no value, since there are thousands more mice outside just waiting to come in.

My garage where the 930 spends her winters is really pretty mouse proof, so I suspect the one I caught in the car is a fluke. Still, I'm now keeping a trap set inside the car at all times just in case.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
I have stored others cars for many years now. I use to use Mothballs but now i use Bounce sheets.
I researched the Bounce sheets and why they work. Apparently any strong odor repels mice from entering, they cannot smell predators entering their domain.
I have uses bounce sheets for 7 years now and they seem to work as well as anything else.
The bounce sheets makes your car smell great in the spring unlike mothballs.
Interesting - CT mice must be immune.

Some may recall my local bud's '78 Carrera Martini - my bud stores it in his barn loaded w/ Bounce sheets.

He also stores it loaded with MICE. I had the 'pleasure' of cleaning it up for him after a long storage - what a mess. Fukkers chewed threw areas of his new red carpet.

What a smell - mouse poo/piss coupled with stale Bounce... argh!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Interesting - CT mice must be immune.

Some may recall my local bud's '78 Carrera Martini - my bud stores it in his barn loaded w/ Bounce sheets.

He also stores it loaded with MICE. I had the 'pleasure' of cleaning it up for him after a long storage - what a mess. Fukkers chewed threw areas of his new red carpet.

What a smell - mouse poo/piss coupled with stale Bounce... argh!
All I can say is that those were mice of impeccable taste.

So yet another urban mouse legend bites the dust. After an exhaustive search, I've convinced myself that there is no such thing as a better mouse trap. These dudes are the epitomy of tenacious.

The last resort: Buy one of those inflatable car bubbles, zip the car up inside, and place double sticky tape on the ground all around the car inside the bubble. And install ultrasonic sensors that detect movement, rigged to a siren and flashing blue KMart special lights in the house to alert you when the little bastards have invaded the safe haven. Throw in a kitty-cat, put some Jiffy Pop on the stove, crack open a fresh one, and watch the entertainment.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Mark,
Yep just go to the local animal shelter, adopt a great big older aloof cat, and make his/hers home your garage.
A lot of older cats never get adopted because of their age or lack of social skills, but for a garage cat it matters not, so do them and yourself a favor.
You will not have an mouse issues again. Plus you will have a buddy when you work on your car!
Mark
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Smile

What up Mark.

My dad's nissan truck had a mouse problem..Freakin vents smelled of death. I cleaned out the Small/air motor under the passenger glove box..There was 6-7 baby mice dead. Good vacum cleaner long-skiny nozzle does wonders. Also the mouse had created a nest right in the beginning of the airbox. The only thing stopping from going any further was the airfilter. Good thing it wasn't chewed thru...

Stick a tennis ball in each side of the exhaust...

Walt
Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hey there Mark,
Yep just go to the local animal shelter, adopt a great big older aloof cat, and make his/hers home your garage.
A lot of older cats never get adopted because of their age or lack of social skills, but for a garage cat it matters not, so do them and yourself a favor.
You will not have an mouse issues again. Plus you will have a buddy when you work on your car!
Mark
I've got three cats in the house (actually, I don't lay claim to my wife's animals - but I don't mind cats nonetheless). One of them is just that - an aloof old scruffy poorly treated in his past life guy....we call him "old man". The other two are young, quick, and agile and would love to get their first taste of mouse nectar. Maybe I should rotate them through the garage.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Then you'll be cursing your cats for using your windshield (which leads to HOOD) for their veryown superfun slippyslide. Oh yes! And gleaming wax no makey for traction... hello scratched up fender sides from where they jump up.

Oh and paw prints galore.

No more!

Our 2 fatasses are hereby relegated to the house.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Then you'll be cursing your cats for using your windshield (which leads to HOOD) for their veryown superfun slippyslide. Oh yes! And gleaming wax no makey for traction... hello scratched up fender sides from where they jump up.

Oh and paw prints galore.

No more!

Our 2 fatasses are hereby relegated to the house.
Yeah, you got that right!

I hear that dryer sheets laid strategically on all painted surfaces will deter those fatasses from jumping up....

And now, to further degrade this topic, Mr. Google - the wizzard of the internet - suggests the following uses for dryer sheets (note that mouse repellant is the first one):

Bounce dryer sheets keep pests such as mice away

this also works for ants.

They also repel mosquitoes (just stick a sheet through a belt loop).

Stick the sheets into your drawers or closets to keep things from smelling musty.

You can use them to dust, as they are anti static they keep dust from resettling.

If you are into hand sewing take the needle after you have threaded it and push it through a sheet of Bounce, it will keep the thread from tangling after stitches

You can put a dryer sheet in your pocket and it will keep bugs away from you. (

Hang them on an outside bush or tree, so the moose will be less likely to eat your shrubs and trees.

use them to stuff homemade pillows used in dog and cat beds. Then you can toss them in the laundry. They dry quickly, too.

Clean paint brushes: Soak your used paintbrushes in warm water with a dryer sheet and that pesky latex paint will come off in under a minute.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
The other two are young, quick, and agile and would love to get their first taste of mouse nectar. Maybe I should rotate them through the garage.
I had a couple of mice in my garaged cars, until I started playing 'hunt the mouse' with my two cats on Saturday morning. Now it's gotten where they're waiting at the garage door every Saturday morning when I get out of bed.....LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Me like track days

Handbrake area.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Resurrecting this thread, for more advice or just kicks and giggles. About a week ago, whilst preparing for a spirited sprint and finding that my battery was dead (reasons covered in alternative posts), I popped the "boot" to finds remnants of mice food...whatever the little mother fornicating knob gobbling anal pore could find to eat. Pissed me off to the max, having been through this once before. Promptly threw a mouse trap in the boot as well as the main cabin, and checked today (having forgotten about it). Popped the lid and was rewarded with music to my nose. The rotten little bastard was indeed....rotted. Replaced the trap, just in case.
Once again, how do these furry little disease infested wire chewing sons of female dogs gain entrance? My garage is about as secure as can be, but mice being mice can squeeze through any opening smaller than my johnson.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Might as well lay traps around the garage, as well.
Is the bottom of your garage door sealed properly?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Hey Mark, mice and rats do not like the scent of mint. Buy some peppermint oil from natural foods store and apply few drops to cotton ball and place them strategically around your car. Try that and report back.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Put it up on jacks stands so the wheels are off the ground. They'll have to jump pretty good to get in the car and the tires won't get flat spotted while parked all winter.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage door is sealed tighter than a nun's privates (all it takes is one mouse to sneak in while opening the door, which is my main daily exit point from the house). Jack stands would solve the problem, for winter storage for sure, but a bit inconvenient during the driving months. Mint soaked cotton balls, dryer sheets, moth balls, five dozen traps laid strategically around the garage, all may work. Both of my heat control valves/openings are stuck wide open and I just haven't taken the time to diagnose why my heater control unit isn't actuating the valves. Other entry points as mentioned....well, guess I need to spend some quality time under the car.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

If it's one of those electric cable control units that stopped working they're expensive to replace.
You can remove it and with some searching find a used mechanical lever one from an early car and put it in there. Clean and grease the cables. Some even had a little hand throttle lever too. The lever control one is preferable to some people.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I think it's just the cables stuck, since I can hear the control unit cycling as it tries to open and/or close the valves. Not good on the control unit continuously hunting, so I need to fix the problem before something else gets toasted. Winter project, one of several.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: