Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I can't believe how old this discussion is. Or how funny. OR that I'm reading it -just now.. and thinking WHY didn't I read this before I ended up storing several Porsches?! I AM gonna hurry and get some BOUNCE. Sounds like a great idea- thanks.

Hummm, I missed the part about BOUNCE.. Fail. sigh.

Last edited by alwaysflat6s; 08-30-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

OK, since we revived an old pre - fire thread, here is my one. Some rats took up residence in the rented garage /hse I happened to be storing my SC in. One day I took it out for a drive after many weeks hibernation. Started and ran fine, but gauges were all wacky - off the scale one way or other. and only gone 5 yrds. In front, where the car was parked was a neat pile of wire insulation - any colour combo you like red/wh/green/wh/etc. When I looked under the car the varmits with sharp teeth had parked themselves on top of the starter motor and had a ball chewing bits out of the main harness. Not easy to fix - I was missing about an inch of some wires. try fixing that - in that spot.
I cleaned out a family of rats over the next week and enjoyed every bit of it. I had been putting baits out for weeks - no effect. Got them in a cage trap and enjoyed watching their demise. When we shifted I found the entire container of baits neatly stashed for winter food.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-03-2018, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Sorry for reviving this old pre-fire thread, but l ended up with a brand new garage and air tight door seals, so those furry little friends can't get in unless it's when I open the doors. All it takes is one of them to eat things that shouldn't be eaten. Alan, I bet that was a pain fixing those wires. That's my greatest fear, the damage that can be caused. Who really knows; could be a simple little mouse that toasted my car and home back then. We never discovered the cause. Now, prophylactic mouse traps inside the car during storage.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Not one of the easiest jobs. They had taken about an inch of wiring out of some of the wires - even the copper strands gone. Luckily I had a chunk of original SC loom from a dead car. I wondered why keep it, but I don't throw that stuff out. So I had pieces of original wire to join back in - in a delicate soldering job a heart surgeon would be proud of. Not easy lying on your back, (I think I pulled the starter motor). Has run perfect ever since. Old faithful.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Not one of the easiest jobs. They had taken about an inch of wiring out of some of the wires - even the copper strands gone. Luckily I had a chunk of original SC loom from a dead car. I wondered why keep it, but I don't throw that stuff out. So I had pieces of original wire to join back in - in a delicate soldering job a heart surgeon would be proud of. Not easy lying on your back, (I think I pulled the starter motor). Has run perfect ever since. Old faithful.
Regards
Alan
I'm beginning to think about this issue right now. Not rodents, bot 32 year old heat damaged insulation and work hardened wires. As I dig further into my motor now its out, I'm finding all sorts of cracked insulation, any part of which could read to anything from weird gauge readings to fire. On some of the leads there's an insulation crack every few inches, can't just splice in a piece.

Short of rebuilding the entire harness from scratch, what's the solution?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Really does sound like a new harness - sorry.
Regards
Alan
Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Mouse turds and death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I think it's just the cables stuck, since I can hear the control unit cycling as it tries to open and/or close the valves. Not good on the control unit continuously hunting, so I need to fix the problem before something else gets toasted. Winter project, one of several.

Mine were rusted closed. If you remove the auto heat you can spray some rust penetrate in the guide tubes. I removed the cables and filled the tubes with the stuff. I let it soak overnight and flushed it with compressed air. Hind sight Id put a drain tube or towel over the exit. I make a huge mess. I then put some oil in there to try and prevent it from reoccurring.

On a side note I just had to rewire our enclosed trailer again. Fooking varmints. I put some poison in the frame this time and sealed it closed with expanding foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1979-930; 09-03-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: