Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mouse turds and death

Rolled out the 930 two weeks ago during a break between snow flurries, dumped a few ounces of Stabil in the tank and ran down to the local gas station to fill her up. Back to the nice heated garage to spend the rest of the winter.

I noticed little suspicious pellets on the passenger seat. A filthy rodent spawn from hell had somehow managed to find some entry point into the car (which is just short of a miracle, since I have enough trouble finding ways to route wires into the cockpit from outside), but nonetheless the cute little furry bastard was taking up residence. 24 hours later, after consuming his last meal of fresh peanut butter, he lay dead in the mouse trap.

Sure hope he was a he and not a she. Consequently, I now have a freshly loaded trap on board all winter. How did that little faulker get inside in the first place?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Check the rubber boot at the shift coupler. Easy to get in their and run up the channel to the foot pedal opening.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Check the rubber boot at the shift coupler. Easy to get in their and run up the channel to the foot pedal opening.
I'll take a look there, but my memory says that boot's in good condition. I do know, however, that the throttle linkage (or was it the clutch?) boot down under the car is torn. Other than those two points of entry, these cars are pretty well sealed up.

Had a similar issue many moons ago with my old MGB where a family of mice made there home in the heater box. Really nice aroma when turning on the heat.

If this keeps up, I'm tempted to buy one of those inflatable bubbles and park the car hermetically sealed inside. Either that or permanently station one of my cats in the garage all winter.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 12-03-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Depending on how stripped down your car is, the water drain tube from the old A/C condenser housing into the smugglers box is another eccess point. Also any block off plates you may or may not have installed if you removed the front A/C condenser behind the front bumper. The grommet for the antenna wire is another spot to check.
Those little Bastards can get through the most incredibly small opening, it will amaze you!
Mark
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Depending on how stripped down your car is, the water drain tube from the old A/C condenser housing into the smugglers box is another eccess point. Also any block off plates you may or may not have installed if you removed the front A/C condenser behind the front bumper. The grommet for the antenna wire is another spot to check.
Those little Bastards can get through the most incredibly small opening, it will amaze you!
Mark
Bone stock AC stuff still there (well, except for the compressor I removed in back). And my antenna is integrated into the windshield. Good suggestions, I'm gonna look anyway.

Just googled some mouse repellant strategies: one used mothballs (toxic and stinky). Another uses 100% peppermint oil (at least it smells better). And a third used fox or bobcat piss absorbed into some inert organic material. All designed to repell the little $hitheads so they take up roost elsewhere.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mothballs work well if you don't have a cat. Our cat though loves to eat mice up so no issues there. But now that the car is up on the lift and so far off the ground I think mice are out of the equation no matter what now.

Make sure you cover your tail pipe as well. Those little f-ers will climb in there and make a nest too and in the spring it gets blown out and makes a mess. Didn't happen on the 930 but it did happen before on a different car.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
Argh! Don't even get me goin on those insufferable fokkers!

I use a bunch of those green poison blocks splayed around the perimeter of my garage (forces them to seek water source where they then die). So yeah, the first time I put the poison out - my cat ate one within (literally) like 0.004 milliseconds of said placement (and he's an indoor cat), resulting in a do not pass go do not collect $200 trip to the vet for a $90 stomach pump for him. Awesome.

This, after was in response you see to the fargin sneaky bastiges having just chewed some of What's Her Face's (former) ML's wiring harness (in the garage). $6,800 new wiring harness later... thank f'n *goodness* for homeowner's - just paid the deductible.

TR3 gets punted 3mi up the road to my mom's spare mouse infested (literally) garage bay once winter hits and the 930's in my garage - all I find are acorn shells and some blood on the valve cover... nothing for them to eat in that one 8-).

Alumibiatch's resided outside for years now since the 930 came - mothballs *are* smellayyyy, no thanks. I put some poison blocks up and around the scuttle area after the infernal miserable miscreants chewed up my hood pad - which my fan then dipensed ALLLLL over the engine bay and made the mouse chewed hole about 2' wide. Oh and a year later I found much of said hood pad carnage... *caking* up my K&N. Argh! Awesome again.

Most recent (last week) was I went to take out my kids' bounce house out of the shed (where What's Her Face condemned me from storing it) for a party - muther f'ers chewed about a bazillion 1' holes in it... ARGHHHHHHH! Needless to say I'll be hearing about that one for awhile. Gdamn rodents chewed threw the back f'n wall of the shed. MORE awesome...

Anyway, hope my pain is your humor 8-). Good luck ridding yours!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So happy to hear that others share my love affair with these Hanta virus infected defecating flea bitten carriers of the Black Plague. IMHO, the only good mouse is a dead mouse (please, no flaming by you SPCA supporters....these things ain't animals but tormenting deamons, the scourge of the earth). Hopefully the little weasle's short love affair with my 930 was just a passing fancy. I have his carcass haning in effigy from the rear view mirror as a warning.

Reminds me of the time I had a stinkin' tree rat aka squirrel (I'm not talkin' Alvin the chipmunk) who found his way into the insulated roof of my log cabin one summer, having gained access through an unscreened soffett vent. The little son of a female dog would scuttle around up there, screwing up the insulation and audibly chewing on anything wood. Damned if I could catch him in the act, and he refused to eat the nice tastey green cubes I left him. So, having found his entry point, I had two options: Board it up and let him die in there (which of course would not work...these treacherous bastards have teeth of steel and would simple chew his way down into the cabin to reck even more disaster). Instead, I bought one of those Rat Zappers (appropriately named) battery powered electric chair of death - proceeded to disassemble it to where I could remotely mount the "frying pan" directly beneath his entry hole - and left it there with fresh batteries.
Upon return a couple weeks later, found the worthless little deamon melted to the platform, looking like a two week old piece of chicken fried steak. Excellent...die you mutha!

Last edited by mark houghton; 12-04-2010 at 07:33 AM..
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mark,

LOL! Good approach!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
When I did my engine rebuild, I discovered that mice had built a nest under the engine shroud, right on top of my oil cooler. Now I put mothballs in the engine compartment whenever I store the car for the winter...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I found some mouse turds on my car cover one day. Pissed me off so set up a 5 gal bucket with a ramp. The mouse was to run up the ramp, walk out on the dowel where a soda can was coated in peanut butter. The can/dowel rotates and the mouse falls into the bucket of water for a long and deadly swim. Left it there for 3 months, but no mouse. It must have a one day deal, as I've never seen evidence of one again.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Mothballs work well if you don't have a cat. Our cat though loves to eat mice up so no issues there. But now that the car is up on the lift and so far off the ground I think mice are out of the equation no matter what now.

Make sure you cover your tail pipe as well. Those little f-ers will climb in there and make a nest too and in the spring it gets blown out and makes a mess. Didn't happen on the 930 but it did happen before on a different car.
I have stored others cars for many years now. I use to use Mothballs but now i use Bounce sheets.
I researched the Bounce sheets and why they work. Apparently any strong odor repels mice from entering, they cannot smell predators entering their domain.
I have uses bounce sheets for 7 years now and they seem to work as well as anything else.
The bounce sheets makes your car smell great in the spring unlike mothballs.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yes, I have heard of the bounce sheets too but never tried them. I never put mothballs in the car to be clear, I put them around the car like a seance. LOL!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Throw em in the tail pipe and bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I found some mouse turds on my car cover one day. Pissed me off so set up a 5 gal bucket with a ramp. The mouse was to run up the ramp, walk out on the dowel where a soda can was coated in peanut butter. The can/dowel rotates and the mouse falls into the bucket of water for a long and deadly swim. Left it there for 3 months, but no mouse. It must have a one day deal, as I've never seen evidence of one again.
Now that just might win the Rube Goldberge mouse trap invention award of all time...Got any pics?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
Now that just might win the Rube Goldberge mouse trap invention award of all time...Got any pics?
It's in our genes...,homo sapiens must strive to invent the better mouse trap.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

YouTube - Bucket Mouse Trap - In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben parrish View Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Wow...pretty amazing.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I likey!!! That thing could catch dozens of mice before they were able to crawl out over the heaps of dead bodies. Might be just the ticket for my cabin mouse control tactic....but the water would freeze during the winter. Maybe use something tastey like Everclear for the little dudes last supper. At least it would't freeze and they'd go to their maker with a (hic) smile.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I think some guys add or use anti-freeze in place of water.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: