Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hey Jim/MCA,.

When I get out tha way, we should get together for a beer. I work for Boeing and will be back there soon. Last time I stayed at Mount Pleasant at Riflerange and IOP. Nice place!

Noticed a nice red Targa in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot one day- Pelicanite?

Try Boeing... they will be hiring like mad in a few months.

Thanks

Bob

Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I did this on mine with air in the cylinder during the leakdown test. I hit the valve stems just hard enough to open the valves and get them to close firmly against the seats. It will help reseat them if there is carbon on the valves. Do you run rich? If so, this is one of the downsides to running low to mid 11's on the AFR. The other is washing the cylinders and accelerating wear on the rings for no real good reason.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Hey Craig. Good to meet you Sunday and it was a great day driving with you and Tim.

I've not had a chance to look at the car, but plan on it tomorrow. First I'll drive some more, then bring it home to test it.

Quote:
Jim,

Did you get a chance to check the exhaust valves after our drive on Saturday?

There might be an outside chance that the test guage was out of calibration on the last two readings ... 1-6-2-4-3-5

Might be a reach, but if the test was done by firing order and not by bank then it wouldn't hurt to retest.

Also wondering if you could hear leaking on the cylinders that had good numbers. Just so that you can compare to those that are in question.

Good luck. Like everyone else, I'm hoping for the best. You have a beautiful car.

Craig
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Bob, shoot us a PM when your back in town. TimC and I can meet with for lunch or dinner.

I've applied to Boeing already but nothing yet. I'll keep trying, but if you gave any inside lines, let me know.

I did meet the fellow who is heading up the operation, Marco, as our kids
swim together year round. Wanted to ask about a job, but that wouldn't be very professional.

Quote:
Hey Jim/MCA,.

When I get out tha way, we should get together for a beer. I work for Boeing and will be back there soon. Last time I stayed at Mount Pleasant at Riflerange and IOP. Nice place!

Noticed a nice red Targa in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot one day- Pelicanite?

Try Boeing... they will be hiring like mad in a few months.

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Don, Yes it's running a little fat. I guess I want to run a safety margin to prevent detonation. The oil is changed like clockwork.

My plan is to hit it again tomorrow, check with air and then maybe pull the headers to take a look at the valves. Maybe spray and clean with a brush as mentioned again.

Quote:
I did this on mine with air in the cylinder during the leakdown test. I hit the valve stems just hard enough to open the valves and get them to close firmly against the seats. It will help reseat them if there is carbon on the valves. Do you run rich? If so, this is one of the downsides to running low to mid 11's on the AFR. The other is washing the cylinders and accelerating wear on the rings for no real good reason.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Before I pulled the headers, I would try double the dose of Techron additive. I used this in my race bike to clean the intake valves and it worked like a charm. I used in the car, but I never looked at the valves to confirm. High RPM (heat) and a couple bottles of the stuff might do wonders. If it doesn't, you only spent $15. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Bob, shoot us a PM when your back in town. TimC and I can meet with for lunch or dinner.

I've applied to Boeing already but nothing yet. I'll keep trying, but if you gave any inside lines, let me know.

I did meet the fellow who is heading up the operation, Marco, as our kids
swim together year round. Wanted to ask about a job, but that wouldn't be very professional.
Sure, just let me know when! Nice drive with you and Craig....
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Still haven't checked anything. Been busy. I did use a can of BG injection cleaner as well as a bottle of Techron. I've driven about 125 miles with it.

When I pulled the lower plugs to check number 5, the plugs were black. A sign of it running rich. Note the heads are twin plugged, but I'm only using the upper plugs.

Quote:
Before I pulled the headers, I would try double the dose of Techron additive. I used this in my race bike to clean the intake valves and it worked like a charm. I used in the car, but I never looked at the valves to confirm. High RPM (heat) and a couple bottles of the stuff might do wonders. If it doesn't, you only spent $15. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Have you done a compression test on the motor yet??

Go drive the crap out of it with lots of load, then do a compression test and leakdown after that.

Cheers

997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: