Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Canucks Fan

Turbo pic's?????
Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Looks like it got posted here:Help ID this turbocharger
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hello everyone I wanted to ask people about balanced exhaust which can be done on b and b exhaust. I noticed it also under the search category of of twin scroll regarding the subject turbo chargers .My turbo is 10 yrs old and i am thinking of changing to a g 35 along with the proper header modifications any thought's or experience on this topic. Just a side not , the cost regarding this mod is 3400 greenbacks. thanks every one in advance for youre comments.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Never seen an engine torn apart like yours Citrus. Great pics....thanks for posting. Bummer that you have to go through this process but it's cool to watch. Sorry I can't help with your questions....I just don't have that much experience.

Best of luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Just caught this thread, nice work.

What exactly are you having done that will cost $3400?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Basically i am having my b and b headers modified for (twin scroll) do not fully understand to explain and a new g 35 turbo
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
Basically i am having my b and b headers modified for (twin scroll) do not fully understand to explain and a new g 35 turbo
John, I take it you mean a Garrett GT35 turbo?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The twin scroll design isolates each bank to harness that pulse energy which reduces spool time and creates more power. One strategy is to use short tubes and get the pulses to the turbo as quickly as possible; another is to use equal length primaries and secondaries to tune the system.

This set of headers was made for use with a Garrett T4 twin scroll turbo. They are split plenum with separate waste gates for each equal length bank for a true divided and tuned system. I've posted this pic a few times but it is relevant to your question.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hey thanks Brian for the pic and explanation very helpful. I have bigger problems on the horizon which seems to be mahle pistons and cylinders out of tolerances and needing replacement(nothing that money cant solve)
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

So Citrus, do you have any idea what happened for your engine to have these issues? I read through the thread and I don't see anything except you mentioning that a properly tuned motor might not have these issues.

Perhaps neglect by former owner that is now manifesting itself?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
beancounter

Posted P&C measurements for comment in the engine rebuilding forum:

Thoughts on these P&C measurements

I also took a few pics of this camshaft lobe which has some pitting. Others look ok Thoughts on this? Can it be repaired? Ok to run as is?

I thought I posted this already, but when I returned to the forum I didn't see it...
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

looks like typical cam and rocker pad wear from running common current day USA EPA mandated motor oil low in ZDDP.
most 20w-50 "racing oil" and "V twin motorcycle oils" still have good amounts of ZDDP.

brad penn 20-50 racing oil and mobil one 20-50 v twin oils are still some of the best oils high in ZDDP additives to use, and you will likely never see that kind of wear when using them as long as the cam spray bars are clear and not clogged.

if that isn't the cause and thats a hard welded reground cam then it could be caused by the built up welded on metal breaking down.
if the picture showed the side of the ramp and nose of the cam lobe and the dirty oil staining was wiped off with a rag soaked in solvent then you could see the lighter color metal on the sides of the lobe from the weld build up and grinding process.

if you continue to run that cam it will continue to eat up the rocker arm pad and put little chunks of hard metal into your oil as it self destructs.

that cam needs to be repaired and webcam, elgin, and john doughherty (if i spelled his last name right) can do a good job of it.
if it was already hardwelded and reground by webcam there should be a webcam grind # stamped or scribed into the flat end of the journal at the flywheel end of the motor.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Actually when I bought the car from a jerry woods client they used swepco 20w-50 which is high in ZDDP additives . I believe the cams were brand new 964 cams not hard welded regrinds still have to ck to see if the cam spray bars are clear. This motor has less than 7000 miles on a jerry woods rebuild (not that it matters)

I have to say this has been an adventure for me & I'm very grateful to jacob and vinne for helping me dive into this motor in a very competent & technical manner. If I have any advice from my experience it would be to insist upon a leak-down test, not a compression check. oh, well. I kind of new that before I bought the car, but felt that Jerry Woods Enterprise doing the PPI would have my backside covered.

Now being that there is no precise measurement as to when this damage occurred, it may have been on my watch. I ran the car without having the motec M48 checked.I assumed it was tuned safely.(wronnnng) Last spring I finally decided to put an O2 sensor & hook it up to the motec, running a closed loop. As we ran the car in real time my tunner and I discovered that on boost the motor was running lean (obviously a dangerous situation). The car came from Jerry Woods tuned via throttle position sensor so that at a particular rpm a particular amt. of fuel was metered to the motor not the best tunning method causing a lean running motor. The lean situation was changed imediatley and the car was put on a dyno and tuned using the full capability of the motec m 48.This fall at turbo palooza my plugs were fouling and in general i was not satisfied with engines performance so i performed a leak down test and shall we say THE REST IS HISTORY. This is my best explanation BLEACHII but as to when and how the damage occured(treating the car like a red headed step child, or a lean motor, or detination or????) circumstance before or after my purchase I am not sure ,other than the mahle piston and cylinders indicate it was a hot running motor with some detination occuring. O well its a warm welcome to the 930.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Are you going to split the case? The picture you posted of that piston looks like that cylinder was detonating. I would be worried about the condition of the rod bearings.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

John, if you're there already and considering those missing pieces of metal "moving around", I would look further inside and open the case and really check those bearings - JIC.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

"Actually when I bought the car from a jerry woods client they used swepco 20w-50 which is high in ZDDP additives . I believe the cams were brand new 964 cams not hard welded regrinds"

If they are 964 cams new or used they would have had a power steering pump drive on the passenger side cam and it would have been cut off, leaving a machine mark on the end so it would fit in your 930 cam tower because there is a freeze plug pressed into the hole in the end of the cam tower and your engine oil cooler is right behind it.

Along with that 964 cams do not have the 930 scavange pump drive on the end of the driver side cam so one would have to be fabricated and welded on to the end.

If it is a hardweld built up 930 cam reground to 964 profile there should be a number on the end of the cam. If it was reground by webcam to 964 profile it will be grind #40.

I will also say you don't really know what oil was used in there unless you saw what was poured in during each oil change after the rebuild. If it's green it's probably Brad Penn, Royal Purple is purple, and Valvoline VR1 synthetic is blue.
As far as I know other oils are the usual amber color.

Sorry you're going through all this.. your car is beautiful and the motor looks real clean, on the outside.
Good luck with whatever you do to rebuild it.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

cheapest good option i found was 98mm 7.5 compression JE pistons. Then get a set of 3.2 cylinder cores and send the all of it to us autochrome. They will bore and then re-plate the cylinders to match the pistons. That was my plan until i found a set just like that Jfairman was selling here.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Thanks again to all who have taken time and have given me advice.Yes pwr steereing pumpcam was cutt and yes I believe the other cam has been machined it also has a pick up for the motec m48. Its true I have no idea what motor oil was used in the sense of personal witness . More important any ideas on choices of cylinders and pistons and compression ?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
This motor has less than 7000 miles on a jerry woods rebuild (not that it matters)
John...truth is we don't really know how many miles are on the build. The receipts compared to the odometer seem to indicate very few, but its beyond easy to change out the speedo, or just unplug it for that matter. The hosed p&c's and the shagged condition of the clutch disc/flywheel may point to more miles than you think (not that it matters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If they are 964 cams new or used they would have had a power steering pump drive on the passenger side cam and it would have been cut off, leaving a machine mark on the end so it would fit in your 930 cam tower because there is a freeze plug pressed into the hole in the end of the cam tower and your engine oil cooler is right behind it.
Jim, his cam has the power steering drive machined off. The scavenge pump arrangement is also unique, and there is a billet aluminum piece off the back of the cam instead of the air injection pump drive pulley that has a magnet in it for a camshaft position sensor.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
John - sorry for your woes, good luck. You'll have what you want when you're done @ least 8-).

You guys are amazing - enjoying the thread. Learning a ton! Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

LMK when you guys gtg there again when you 'turn the corner', I'll bomb down 84. Like JF said, it's a bummer - your car is soooo nice. Think how great it'll be afterward, it'll help get ya thru heh heh...

ps. Jake congrats on the purch!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: