Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
EFI Intake Selection

So now that I finally have my Intercooler I find that my modified intake (a 3.2 with rotated TB from Clewitt) does not really work well. So, the question is, should I just source another 3.2 intake ( I really only need the TB half) or should I look at other options like the plastic intakes. Keep in mind I am running Twin turbos with Motec ECU. The engine is a work in progress so I am open to just about anything.

Any Suggestions?

Bill

77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Sell or trade for an intake that fits your needs I am sure someone has a 3.2 intake that would like one that is rotated I wouldn't sep. the pieces as I would suspect that Clewett matched the intake when they changed it.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
gsmith,

That is what I am leading towards at the moment. The rotated intake is nice if you are just doing an EFI conversion and retaining a stock or replacement intercooler (non long kneck). Clewitt positions the TB in the same place as the stock one.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

There is an inexpensive intercooler at treadstone that has been confirmed to work with throttle bodies in the stock position i believe it is 400 dollars if you cant find a taker for an exchange and it is more cost effective to sell your intercooler instead. What intercooler do you have post up a pic?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Its a MODE. Not interested in parting with this work of art. It was setup for the 3.2 intake so I will start looking.
Mode Twin Turbo Intercooler

Wode Twin Turbo intercooler

Last edited by jonesb930; 01-14-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Your pics didn't come through. And i understand where you are coming from.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a clewett modified 930 intake as well. I'm doing a simple efi upgrade though, so I hope it works well for me. I plan to modify my B6 long neck IC to work with the intake, but I haven't mounted anything yet so I'm not sure how it will work. can you provide details and pictures of how your IC was modified?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Are you doing a twin turbo? Very cool.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry about that. I fixed the links from above.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Are you doing a twin turbo? Very cool.
No, I'm just doing a mild, single turbo (GTX3071) low RPM street driver. I am curious if I'd be better off finding a short neck IC instead of my long neck to connect to the rotated 3.2 TB intake though.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
No, I'm just doing a mild, single turbo (GTX3071) low RPM street driver. I am curious if I'd be better off finding a short neck IC instead of my long neck to connect to the rotated 3.2 TB intake though.
Sorry I was talking about Bill's mode intercooler being set up for a twin application.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have an Andial Long neck in my "inventory" of spares that I had initially intended to use. I just did not have the heart to chop it up to make it fit. In my search for a replacement short neck I found the MODE and could not resist. It is kind of ridicules in size compared to the Andial unit.

I am going Twin on my project. Brian (RarelyL8) is making the headers. I will be using a pair of K16's off of a 996 that are as new. They were removed from a new 996 for K24 with under 1k miles on them.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Would it not be easier/cheaper to just rotate the TB to the position you need and reweld it back on?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb930 View Post
The rotated intake is nice if you are just doing an EFI conversion and retaining a stock or replacement intercooler (non long kneck). Clewitt positions the TB in the same place as the stock one.
How about a pic of your Clewitt rotated intake ?

Thx
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Not sure why you wanted to twist the intake, but OK. Why doesn't it work? Richard does quality work.

Here is a pic of my intercooler attached to a stock 3.2L intake. The outlet of the IC looks similar to yours.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Don,

I had Clewitt rotate it with the intention of using a standard fitment intercooler. Then my build changed from basic to wild. Its a slippery slope.

Looking at your setup Don it does look like what i have. I am looking for a stock intake to use now. My original post was to inquire as to what others have used. I have seen a plastic intake used with custom adapters at the heads. I figured I would take the time to look at all of my options before I jump into yet another purchase. My inventory of parts that will not be used is growing. I certainly don't want to add to it.

Bill
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

I have a stock 3.2 intake. Will I be able to use my Andial short neck intercooler for a stock 930 with it? If so I would be willing to trade. I am up here in jenson beach working for a couple weeks. Next trip home i could pick it up and swing by.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Ken,

That is tempting. I would recommend you call Richard Clewett and ask him if he still sells the sleeve you need to mate the stock (or equivalent) intercooler to his modified intake. Find out if he is still doing the intake modification. I am not sure I want to part with it just yet but I will keep you in mind. My intake does not have the stock throttle body any longer, it has a 75MM Holly on it now. If you want we may be able to set up a time to see if it will work for you. We would need your Throttle body, and intercooler though. I believe you will still need the aluminum sleeve that Richard was selling with this modification.

His number is: 310-406-8788 | Hours 9 - 4 PT | Mon - Fri
Clewett Engineering, The complete solution for ignition & fuel injection

Last edited by jonesb930; 01-21-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I received my Standard 3.2 intake today and it certainly looks like it solved my IC fitment issues.

Onboost:

Here are some pictures of the Clewett modified intake (on the Left) next to the stock one (right).

IMG_2168 by rennsport_photography, on Flickr

Close up of the cut and weld

IMG_2169 by rennsport_photography, on Flickr

Intercooler fits now...

IMG_2171 by rennsport_photography, on Flickr

IMG_2173 by rennsport_photography, on Flickr

IMG_2172
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb930 View Post
Ken,

That is tempting. I would recommend you call Richard Clewett and ask him if he still sells the sleeve you need to mate the stock (or equivalent) intercooler to his modified intake. Find out if he is still doing the intake modification. I am not sure I want to part with it just yet but I will keep you in mind. My intake does not have the stock throttle body any longer, it has a 75MM Holly on it now. If you want we may be able to set up a time to see if it will work for you. We would need your Throttle body, and intercooler though. I believe you will still need the aluminum sleeve that Richard was selling with this modification.

His number is: 310-406-8788 | Hours 9 - 4 PT | Mon - Fri
Clewett Engineering, The complete solution for ignition & fuel injection
OK I'll give him a call. or just cut and weld it myself.

88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: