Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks Steve!

Just so everyone knows, Steve and I have had several conversations behind the scenes, and has been very helpful on this project.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great project!

I'm envious of your welding. I just picked up a Lincoln mig welder with gas this weekend and I'm having a hard time getting two pieces of sheetmetal to stick together...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Hey Jim!

I've been welding for a few years.

Just don't do it enough to stay in practice.

What you're seeing are both TIG and MIG welds. I used the TIG where I had good access and could clean everything well. TIG doesn't like dirty metal at all, that's where the MIG comes in.

Practice on freshly ground, degreased 1/8" steel plate. Once you've got that down, move to 1/16", after that go thinner like 16 GA and 18 GA. It's tough to start out on thin sheet metal.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Very nice project...I'm on the way to fit a front coil over set on my car...I did it on the back....very efficient....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Well I finally got some time in the man cave and made some progress......finally!

Here's my interpretation of a front corner bracket. The object is to tie the crossbrace into the far corner of the tub, and into the most rigid spot of the tub where the bumper brackets and bumper reinforcement is placed. Also locate it closer to the top of the center duct for good load transfer from the front crossmember, through the duct and into the brace.

Picture of the right side bracket welded in place. Notice the adjacent bumper reinforcement.

Picture of the same side bracket puddle welded through the previously placed reinforcement, original bumper bracket and the tub for maximum strength.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

One thing nobody tells you about the 935 front suspension, is that it's really designed for a 911 tub, and requires quite a bit of 'hacking' to fit to a 930 tub because the stock crossmember mounts are set 21mm higher in the 930.

Another interesting thing, is that Porsche (according to PET) actually used 8mm spacers on the 930 tub to move the crossmember down, but didn't use spacers on the Carrera. So the crossmember was only 13mm higher on the 930 than on the Carrera. After a few measurements I figured I could use a 16mm spacer to just allow the large control heim to clear the pan, and cut and weld the pan seam above the control arm to give the suspension maximum up travel. The pic above shows the stock spacer and my machined spacer, which is wider for better support of the 935 crossmember, and machined for a tight fit on both sides.

Pic of the spacer on the 935 crossmember

Above is a pic of the crossmember in place with the new spacers. Even with the spacers, the crossmember is still 5mm higher than if it was bolted to a Carrera tub. Notice how tight the heim end is to the pan. I can just slide it out of the crossmember past the bump in the pan for adjustment. Also notice the cut and welded seam just in front of the spacer.

Front view of the crossmember, where you can see how close the large heim gets to the pan.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Great job. I like the No Cage idea for the street. Look forward to more.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I'm starting to see the light in the end of the tunnel.

Above is pic of the mockup for fit. The top of the coilover is pretty tight, especially with the torrington bearing hanging out past the hat.

All bare metal was covered in SEM Rust Shield, seams sealed with Wurth two part seam sealer, scuffed with scotchbrite red pad and covered in a couple coats of black SKS.

Stainless rod ends are hard to find, especially with a 7/16" fine thread, so I had to machine a few.

And finally, the first brace of a total of four to be built. Next step is to finish the braces, remove the booster and master cylinder, and cover the upper trunk area in a fresh coat of black paint.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Win, this thing is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it on the roads here in Colorado.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

You and me both!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
That whole steering rack up, front A-arm mount down thing is to add anti-dive, of course. By lowering the rear from 930 you have created an intermediate level of anti-dive, less than a 930.

Or, at least that would happen if using an A-arm. The 935 front lower links have more degrees of freedom because of using Heim joints and more joints of any kind than a simple A-arm.

I might suggest using the stock steel straps that go on the crossmembers, or a faximilie thereof, to relieve some of the bending stress on the bolt with spacer, and to put it in double rather than single shear.

Great looking fabrication work. Very top-notch quality.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Hi Max! I thought you might like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
That whole steering rack up, front A-arm mount down thing is to add anti-dive, of course. By lowering the rear from 930 you have created an intermediate level of anti-dive, less than a 930.
Correct, if we were using the a-arms, but the 935 pivot point is much higher than the stock crossmember pivot point as it is. I haven't measured it but it's roughly around 20mm higher if both were mounted at the same height. I spoke to Cary Eisenlohr about this and he agreed it should be fine for anti-dive. Remember, I'm still 5mm higher than a Carrera, along with the 935 crossmember even higher.

Quote:
Or, at least that would happen if using an A-arm. The 935 front lower links have more degrees of freedom because of using Heim joints and more joints of any kind than a simple A-arm.

I might suggest using the stock steel straps that go on the crossmembers, or a faximilie thereof, to relieve some of the bending stress on the bolt with spacer, and to put it in double rather than single shear.
Already in the works! I have a plan for a small tubular truss system that will go between the 2 mounts in front of the tunnel and two mounts behind the tunnel to take both the axial loads front-to-back, and the shear transfer side-to-side across the tunnel. Even Cary mentioned the straps that came with the 935 setup were a little light. He later developed a truss system.

Quote:
Great looking fabrication work. Very top-notch quality.
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Just an update. After an all day thrash I got all the stainless bracing finished.

All the bracing in place with the x-brace lightly scuffed with a scotchbrite for a natural finish, it needs a little more sanding. The rear crossbrace is still raw.

Closeup of the upper crossbrace connection. Pretty colors

Now I just need to pull the braces, master cylinder and booster and few other items, and prep and paint the upper trunk area.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Not bad for a coonass from the land of swamps and mosquitos.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Win, looking good! I can't wait to see this thing on the road.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertl View Post
Not bad for a coonass from the land of swamps and mosquitos.
Coming from a Bubba in a Texas border town, I'll take that as a compliment!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
Coming from a Bubba in a Texas border town, I'll take that as a compliment!
Nice job Win, as always. Can't wait to take it out for a spin in the snow.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
You must have good roads where you live...trick suspensions in California don't hold up considering how $hitty the roads are here.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertl View Post
Nice job Win, as always. Can't wait to take it out for a spin in the snow.
Let me pull out those studded tires for you!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
You must have good roads where you live...trick suspensions in California don't hold up considering how $hitty the roads are here.
I travel often to California, and the roads here are about the same, one of the reasons I wanted to make the body structure as stiff as I could.

The whole front and rear suspensions are standard american thread heim joints and spherical balls. If I have to replace them once a year, no problem, they're cheap.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: