Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post

First the popular 'Alarcon' plates. These plates really are ingenious, they not only reinforce the flimsy area around the sway bar mount, they also tie the double layer strut tower into the wheelhouse and all the way to the steering tunnel. If you look close you can see where I drilled holes and puddle welded through both layers of steel at all the panel joints, further tying all body panels together at the strut towers. I cut the center hole 1/2" larger in diameter than the SRP mount and carefully TIG welded around it. These plates look pretty simple, but took plenty of forming with hammers and a sand bag to fit the wheelhouse contours. One tip.....fit and weld the perimeters of the plate first, install the mounts and bend the base metal to square up the mounts and get the smoothest movement of the sway bar before welding around the mount. They don't bend too easily afterwards.
Could you expand a bit on the "Alarcon" plates? Where did you source them from?

Bill
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Steve Alarcon is a front-running racer in Porsche Owners Club racing here in Southern California. I take it the idea came from him?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

In the book 'Porsche 911 Performance' by Mitchell Sam Rossi, the Author outlined thru-tub sway bar reinforcement installed by Steve Alarcon, Page 92 details everything. One of the pics references them as 'Alarcon plates', so right or wrong, that's what I called them.

I fabricated them out of 14 ga plate, and had to beat the crap out of them on a sand bag to get the curves right and fit the tub tight for good welds.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
I did use the search and found all sorts of threads talking about Steve Alarcon. I figured he was the source but was unsure if they were commercially available as a sheet metal item or not. Thanks for clearing that up. By the way, whats your opinion on that book? Does it include good information about these modifications or more of a "this is what I did to my car" documentary with photo's?

By the way, I love the direction your are taking with your car. It is really turning out nice.

Bill
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb930 View Post
I did use the search and found all sorts of threads talking about Steve Alarcon. I figured he was the source but was unsure if they were commercially available as a sheet metal item or not. Thanks for clearing that up. By the way, whats your opinion on that book? Does it include good information about these modifications or more of a "this is what I did to my car" documentary with photo's?

By the way, I love the direction your are taking with your car. It is really turning out nice.

Bill
I would say it's good starting book for someone to see suspension and chassis options from mild to wild. It's only one guy's approach, but it's pretty interesting to see his street car morph to a street/track car then to a full blown track car.

A good first read.

Thanks for the compliments! It's been a long road, and I'm starting to see a light in the end of the tunnel.

Spent this weekend taking out the seats, old carpet, shifter, peddle cluster and e-brake, so I could run two new Aeroquip TFE -8 fuel lines through the tunnel.

Last edited by WinRice; 07-17-2011 at 07:38 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Yes, it is possible to get AN -8 through the tunnel, if you use a smooth bore teflon hose like Aeroquip TFE, which has the ID of -8, but the OD of -6. I still need to wrap and cable clamp everything, but at least the lines are in and fit without interference.

Rear view. I have a new clutch cable going in, so I got it out of the way, along with the rear mount and sway bar.

One line goes through the internal side conduit like the stock lines. The second line just fits between the coupler boot and the throttle rod.

The second lines runs just below the stock conduit area.

Comparison of the stock line vs -8 TFE.............I think that'll handle anything I can throw at it
Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Brown Santa dropped by today.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Wow... maybe I shouldn't be picking up the CCW Classics - I'm over here drooling on the keyboard from the look of those Fuchs. Are those Alton's?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
Wow... maybe I shouldn't be picking up the CCW Classics - I'm over here drooling on the keyboard from the look of those Fuchs. Are those Alton's?
Yep, those are the Alton/Zuffenhaus Fuchs. Finally here after a long wait.

Now I have to get this beast finished!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Update time.

Cut the stock front mount to prepare for the Wevo front mounts, in case anyone wanted to see what it looked like apart.

Mount cut and ground square, cleaned, then TIG welded. Fit perfect.

Full 935 suspension mounted with SRP front bar. Hubs cleaned, heated and new bearings and seals. Brembo GTP rotors and calipers.

Front view of the completed suspension. Flieger will have to cut me a little slack, because I used the 935 front mount to rear mount plates and haven't built the truss system yet.

And the gratuitous shot of the rear Zuff Fuchs with a 315/35 Nitto NT-05.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I just gotta say... I am having to wipe my jaw and drool off the floor over your fab work!! It is just incredible, creating a functional work of art like that is something to be more than proud of! When you take pride of ownership + an obvious intimate knowledge of your desired goal + mixed with that kind of craftsmanship = well i think the results speak for themselves!
I would love to take a ride in your car just to see all of it in action.. Not that my opinion matters, but I have really grown to love the art of meshing classic with certain pieces of new technology and rawness of character that just can't be found in modern automobiles! Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

I do have to say, i would love to see what you came up with if you really went to town on the motor like you have the suspension...
Probably some quiet idling, unassuming 600hp monster that destroyed everything in sight...
=)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
I just gotta say... I am having to wipe my jaw and drool off the floor over your fab work!! It is just incredible, creating a functional work of art like that is something to be more than proud of! When you take pride of ownership + an obvious intimate knowledge of your desired goal + mixed with that kind of craftsmanship = well i think the results speak for themselves!
I would love to take a ride in your car just to see all of it in action.. Not that my opinion matters, but I have really grown to love the art of meshing classic with certain pieces of new technology and rawness of character that just can't be found in modern automobiles! Thank you for sharing!
Wow, thanks for all the compliments!

That was my goal, to create a modern, reinforced and stiffened 930, but maintain the original style and raw feel. And it's been one long road, but I'm getting close. The only fabrication I have left in the front is to rebuild the gas tank for an in-tank pump system, since the 935 suspension doesn't leave much protected space for a bottom mount pump, plus it's going to be much cleaner.

Hoping to drive this beast soon!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelturbo View Post
I do have to say, i would love to see what you came up with if you really went to town on the motor like you have the suspension...
Probably some quiet idling, unassuming 600hp monster that destroyed everything in sight...
=)
That's one of the reasons I ran double -8 fuel lines and have two 044 pumps, for the future EFI twin-scroll engine.

I need to get the rear suspension reinforced and installed first.

I'll be talking to Chris Carroll when the time comes.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
That's one of the reasons I ran double -8 fuel lines and have two 044 pumps, for the future EFI twin-scroll engine.

I need to get the rear suspension reinforced and installed first.

I'll be talking to Chris Carroll when the time comes.
Looking forward to it! :-)
Great job on the fab and plumbing, too.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Looking forward to it! :-)
Great job on the fab and plumbing, too.
Thanks!

Didn't know you were following the thread.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Chris is like chuck norris...he's everywhere and nowhere
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Ha!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work...looks like high-quality for sure.

Have you ever seen the 935 re-enforced small 'cage' that goes in the nose(just below the hood) and spread's like a web/2-D cage for structural reforcement?

I seen that once, and it looked awesome. I don't know if it was a 1-off piece, but it sure looked the part to reduce the upper front chassis from flexing.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Nice work...looks like high-quality for sure.

Have you ever seen the 935 re-enforced small 'cage' that goes in the nose(just below the hood) and spread's like a web/2-D cage for structural reforcement?

I seen that once, and it looked awesome. I don't know if it was a 1-off piece, but it sure looked the part to reduce the upper front chassis from flexing.

I loosely patterned my brace off the 935 setup, trying to locate the best points to take the load into.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: